Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Moderators

It's been pretty well established that the Tyrell's had food and money. So no. I think you're now chasing another thing that doesn't exist.

It's like Astro was saying last week - it's all pretty direct and clear at the moment (and hasn't always been in the past), and that has got everyone scrabbling for hidden meaning and allusions that simply aren't there. Either reading more into it and wanting more foreshadowing and subtlety and looking for it in the wrong places, or looking out for curveballs.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

What is the reason that they've decided to make the final two seasons so short? Money? Contracts? Cos although I have enjoyed this season, and there's a lot to be said for just getting on with it, in doing so they have made what Chest is talking about happen. Not to mention the fucked up passage of time and everything else  

• Paid Members

Purely creative. They don't have enough material for two full seasons apparently, that's what they said when they announced it last year. Definitely not money as this show is a cashcow (hence why HBO want multiple spinoffs), and can't be contracts either as they can easily film 10 episodes in the same/similar timeframe as several.

• Paid Members

They've also hinted that a combination of some longer episodes and more movie-like stuff (presumably even more elaborate battle scenes) mean it will take the same time to film and produce 7 episodes as they usually take for 10.

• Paid Members

They also only wanted to do 7 series anyway. Benioff and Weiss are big fans of the books and the number 7 is fairly significant in them. 7 old gods, 7 new gods, the 7 kingdoms, and when he gets around to finishing them there will be 7 books in the series. The show is well in front of the books now, and it is basically spoilers every week for the book wankers. 

• Moderators

I wouldn't say it's definitely not money, especially seeing as the episode lengths are purportedly going to be movie-length in the final season anyway. The original actors' contracts rolled over at the end of last season, and were renewed for massive per-episode increases. Half a dozen cast members are pulling between $1-2m an episode now, so not even including the rest of the massive cast, cutting 7 episodes saves them between $42-84m that can be spent on white walker battle scenes or highly realistic turds for Sam to retch over.

• Paid Members
On 02/08/2017 at 11:54 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

I'd like to hear from Air Raid as to whether he still thinks he's cool.

Glad you still think about me.

Jaime is still my favourite character. Him shaking in rage at Olenna to the point you think he might draw his sword, but being better than that and walking away, was one of my favourite parts of the episode.

• Moderators

Really? I felt like they continuously chop his balls off at every turn. Euron, Cersei and Olenna all completely disrespected him during that episode. I don't see how you think there's any quiet dignity in that.

Him aquiescing to Cersei's advances because he has nothing else in life, and then having to limply laugh it off when she let the servant see because he is not even close to being her equal in the only personal relationship he has in his life. It's just... Sad. I can't see him as anything other than weak. Like, I'm not even sure who's more pathetic out of him and Jorah.

I'd love to hear your case for him!

(I meant that comment genuinely btw, and not sarcastically - glad to have you commenting in the thread again)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

12 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

He has become a bit of a cuck. Shame, because his swagger in series 1 made him one of the best characters.

Cucks and loads of snowflakes, plus an all conquering army of white walkers.  Add this to a white girl saving loads of brown folk and you really do have some alt right MRA fantasy.

• Paid Members

Jamie has had everything that made him who he was taken away from him. No longer a legendary swordsman since his hand was chopped off, in fact the only sword work he is known for these days is when he is banging his sister, and even then he isn't the one in charge and people don't even snigger about it behind his back anymore, they are more than happy to do it too his face.  His children are all dead, his sister is in charge and he is constantly getting put down by Euron Greyjoy. The only people he has made any sort of connection with are Brienne and Tyrion, and they are both on opposing sides to him. Jamie never was the hero, but now he is barely better than Theon Greyjoy let alone Jorah 

Surely Jamie's arc ends with him killing Cersei, regaining some self-pride but ironically justifying the 'oath breaker' nickname he's tried to dodge, and being seen by the masses as having even less pride..

Edited by d-d-d-dAz