DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Rewatched Prometheus tonight for the first time since it was in the cinema.

I really don't want to shit on it just or the sake of it, but fuck me it's aged badly. It's also stupid. The script doesn't even seem to make sense to itself, let alone be part of the Alien universe.

I think the best way forward is just to not acknowledge anything else that's made that has any connection with Alien.

I completely agree. I went to the cinema to see it and haven't watched it since. Mainly due to what a dumb mess of a film it is. I was sceptical walking in, because Ridley Scott was on a wild run of some woeful films, but he somehow managed to find wiggle room beneath my lowered expectations. It all just feels like daft ideas and concepts thrown on the screen with very little in the way of cohesion - cryptic for cryptic sake just exposes bad story telling.

Similar to any Terminator film post T2, it doesn't belong to that world and my brain will never accept it.

Now You See Me 2 ... a mind-bending romp.  Good fun! :)

The wife saw Fantastic Beasts the other night while I was out playing darts, & she rated it.

The "now you see me" movies, how good are they? I've been told if you're a fan of magic, it could possibly make you very angry and some of the stuff they do.

Now You See Me 2 ... a mind-bending romp.  Good fun! :)

The wife saw Fantastic Beasts the other night while I was out playing darts, & she rated it.

The "now you see me" movies, how good are they? I've been told if you're a fan of magic, it could possibly make you very angry and some of the stuff they do.

I enjoyed the first one thoroughly on first view; it retained the "magic" on second & third viewings.  The sequel took me 2 attempts to get it, it was a touch confusing on first, slightly inebriated viewing.

Worth 4-and-a-bit hours of your life to watch back to back.

Edited by mikehoncho

• Paid Members

I've added Fury, Foxcatcher, Green Room and Whiplash to my 'to watch list' on Netflix. Are all of these worth a go? Which should I start with first? I know Whiplash got a fair bit of praise upon release

I've not watched Fury, but you can't go wrong with the other three.

Personally, I prefer Green Room out of the three, but they were all well received when released.

Whiplash is both intense and hilarious, with JK Simmons acting like Don Rickles.

I thought Foxcatcher was one of the most boring films I've ever seen, each to their own though.

Exactly the same here. So boring.

I didn't hate it, but expected something different.

I first heard the Foxcatcher story in a Kurt Angle shoot interview, and then bought a book about John Du Pont's life which was very interesting too.

A movie made about this socially awkward and all-round weird bloke would have been very interesting, but the movie was actually from the viewpoint of two dull nondescript brothers who lived on his farm.

• Moderators

Ah that's a shame it's no good. I wanted it to be decent because the premise was fun. But if you didn't like it, then it's off my list unless someone else with good taste tells me otherwise. (This doesn't include anyone who uses the word 'romp' in their review).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Now You See Me was so amazingly shit that I was angry for days that I even contemplated watching it.

Speaking of angry, just saw Split. Pretty good - and then the final scene happened and I am now going to assassinate M. Night Shyamalan.