DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Cassel is great. He's superb in Eastern Promises and was the best thing in Jason Bourne as well.

Went to see Live By Night today. Bit of a disappointment but only perhaps because Affleck's other films as a director have all been excellent. A pretty decent gangster flick but it felt a bit incomplete. Chris Cooper is brilliant in it. I love Ben Affleck.

Green Room - not for the faint hearted, but Picard is good in it.  A taught little thriller/horror movie with the bonus of Maebe from Arrested Development in although she doesn't get naked.

Last Action Hero - I love a bit of Willis, and this was actually a lot better than I think I expected.  It is stunningly misogynistic though, and the two main leads clearly fucking hate each other.

Just an aside, but you can see how old this thread is, it refers to DVDs!  Who even buys physical media nowadays.

• Moderators

I enjoyed it, but thought Picard was miscast.

I watched the star wars trilogy with my wife recently. It was such a joy to watch them with someone so utterly oblivious of pop culture. She had no idea Vader was Luke's father, when Luke first goes to find Yoda she fell for the slow reveal completely (she actually said 'surely there's no way that thing is Yoda?'), and just generally having no knowledge or preconceptions of the characters. It was awesome. I never had that experience, so it's as close as I could get.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Last Action Hero - I love a bit of Willis, and this was actually a lot better than I think I expected. It is stunningly misogynistic though, and the two main leads clearly fucking hate each other.

Just an aside, but you can see how old this thread is, it refers to DVDs! Who even buys physical media nowadays.

Where did you get your DVD of that? From someone in a pub out of a backpack?

Should that be Last Boy Scout Lokes, or are have you misidentified one of the most recognisable men in the world?

Fuck me, yeah, that one!  I think all these mentions of Maebe have me dazed and confused.

From the ridiculous to the sublime, I'm watching Gandhi tonight.

EDIT: Cliff Clavin from Cheers was in it!

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Should that be Last Boy Scout Lokes, or are have you misidentified one of the most recognisable men in the world?

Fuck me, yeah, that one! I think all these mentions of Maebe have me dazed and confused.

Cliff is also in The Empire Strikes Back Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Moderators

Fuck me, yeah, that one! I think all these mentions of Maebe have me dazed and confused.

I was confused by your blackface comment. I take it you looked it up and saw that he is actually Indian...? Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Rewatched Prometheus tonight for the first time since it was in the cinema.

I really don't want to shit on it just or the sake of it, but fuck me it's aged badly. It's also stupid. The script doesn't even seem to make sense to itself, let alone be part of the Alien universe.

I think the best way forward is just to not acknowledge anything else that's made that has any connection with Alien.

Rewatched Prometheus tonight for the first time since it was in the cinema.

I really don't want to shit on it just or the sake of it, but fuck me it's aged badly. It's also stupid. The script doesn't even seem to make sense to itself, let alone be part of the Alien universe.

I think the best way forward is just to not acknowledge anything else that's made that has any connection with Alien.

Maybe it just cause i love the Alien franchise this is the first Alien film to be out since ive been old enough to see it in the pictures (bar AvP 2 which we wont mention) I actually like Prometheus, its not what it could or shoulda been but i like it

I watched the star wars trilogy with my wife recently. It was such a joy to watch them with someone so utterly oblivious of pop culture. She had no idea Vader was Luke's father, when Luke first goes to find Yoda she fell for the slow reveal completely (she actually said 'surely there's no way that thing is Yoda?'), and just generally having no knowledge or preconceptions of the characters. It was awesome. I never had that experience, so it's as close as I could get.

I had this with my 6 year old daughter.

She watched the originals with me, and during the Vader-Luke reveal, her tiny mind was blown apart. It prompted a full on "whaaaaat" reaction from her as well.