DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Split – It’s really, really fucking good, and it has a tremendous, joyous, goosebump inducing ‘twist’ - for want of a term.

If anyone wants the bastard spoiled on them, let me know.

I actually want to fucking spoil it on someone because the secret has me giddy!!!!

• Paid Members

Watch it again and just concentrate on the first Jess all the way through and it makes complete sense. The second viewing is so much more rewarding. Brilliant film.

• Paid Members

Silence, is unfortunately, not what I got whilst watching this, as some prick sat in the row behind me found the Japanese accents funny throughout and felt the need to tell the parents he was with how bored he was repeatedly. Just leave for fuck sake.

Other than that, enjoyed the film a lot. No doubt benefitted from having my expectations managed prior to going in, but a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Edited by KJHenley

Regeneration is a good one. Even Johnny Lee Miller is ok in it.

Was going to say that, it's a very good film, lots of interplay between the war poets at Craiglockhart Hospital. Havent seen in for a while and been trying to track down a copy as would like to revisit it after some time away.

He was good in Stigmata as the priest who cheats whichever Arquette it was, as well as being good in an off beat role in the thoroughly depressing film, Carrington

Edited by patiirc

• Paid Members

Give it a bash, Billy, seriously. I know a Shyamalan flick these days seems about as appealing as rubbing Deep Heat on your undercarriage but he's hit the reset button - that'll make sense when you see it - and delivered what should be a cult classic.

Is it an improvement on The Visit then? Because for me that was a typical Shyamalan film - some absolutely great stuff and some absolutely terrible stuff and an awful ending.

Went to see Rogue One. It was ok. I just wish they'd done something completely different within the Star Wars universe rather than connecting it to the original films. My understanding was that this was a spin-off except it wasn't really. Also, Ben Mendelsohn's performance was so bad that I was amazed they ever let it on screen.

Also saw A Monster Calls. Really nice film, far more serious and downbeat than I was expecting, but the kind of film I think there needs to be more of aimed at kids. It talks to them on their level about grief and dealing with negative emotions.

Note to Branquey - the Felicity Jones top lip was in good form in both and I see what you mean!

I saw a ton of movies over the Christmas/New year period that I've never seen before.

The "stand out" movies were Singin' In The Rain and An American In Paris ,both I'd never seen due to them being musical/dancing movies which I just didn't think I'd like. 

Gotta say though, I enjoyed them a fair amount including everything from the way they've shot certain scenes, the acting and even the dancing numbers. Kelly in particular dances in a very "masculine" way, (if that makes sense), and I found both movies highly watchable.

Singin' in the Rain in particular, I had never watched partially on principle when I was a lot younger thinking it would be terrible, but it was very funny in places. Later I would find out the main women in that is Carrie Fishers mother, which was ill timed due to her passing, but an interesting little bit either way. [that she was in it, not that she died].

There are many films from in/around that time I've never seen, so if we have fans of movies from that era on here, please let me know any recommendations!