DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I was the same with Rear Window. Hadn't really watched many pre-1970's movies at that point but Rear Window was on the telly and Psycho was one of the few I had seen and liked so gave it a shot. Blew my mind. Loved every second of it. Hitchcock really was a wizard of cinema.

Doesn't hurt that Jimmy Stewart is bloody amazing in that film. 

• Paid Members

Is it an improvement on The Visit then? Because for me that was a typical Shyamalan film - some absolutely great stuff and some absolutely terrible stuff and an awful ending.

Note to Branquey - the Felicity Jones top lip was in good form in both and I see what you mean!

Absolutely 100% better than The Visit, D-Mal. 

I thought The Visit was funny - in places - but for the most part, it was poxy.

Did you like Unbreakable per chance?

Felicity Jones' top lip is wonderful isn't it? Jones, Hawes, Blunt, Friel and now Sian Brooke all have that ludicrously cute and attractive top lip. I just want to give them a hanky and say "God Bless You" in advance.

• Paid Members

I thought Unbreakable was ok although I did miss the twist because I went for a crap during that bit and wondered what was going on when I came back to the screen and everyone was looking at me. Thought I'd left my trousers in the bog or something. My favourite of his is probably The Village.

As for The Visit, it did have its funny moments and some pretty creepy moments as well (the bit under the house is awesome) but he always puts so much shit in his films. I might go and see Split off your recommendation, ta!

• Paid Members

Me and one of my mates have a horrible little game in that whoever sees a movie first will spoil the twist (if there is one) on the other.
I'll never forget the text from the cunt :

"There's no monsters in the woods and it's set in present day. Your man with the nose is only dressed up as one. The Village"

So that put a stop to my cinema visit.

• Paid Members

Well, major spoilers too, akin to what you've just mentioned, but it all started with Fight Club, and it was my doing so I really only have myself to blame whenever it kicks off.

Usually texts are disguised like - for arguments sake - "See your mob are signing Schneiderlan

Bale had a twin in The Prestige

" (Prestige spoliler) so it's poxy all around.

Essentially bare knuckle boxing for nerds.

• Paid Members

I saw a ton of movies over the Christmas/New year period that I've never seen before.

The "stand out" movies were Singin' In The Rain and An American In Paris ,both I'd never seen due to them being musical/dancing movies which I just didn't think I'd like. 

Gotta say though, I enjoyed them a fair amount including everything from the way they've shot certain scenes, the acting and even the dancing numbers. Kelly in particular dances in a very "masculine" way, (if that makes sense), and I found both movies highly watchable.

Singin' In The Rain is one of those films that I used to watch with my grandparents when I was little, so I've a real soft spot for it.

It might interest you to know that Kelly was a big critic of male ballet dancers that danced femininely, blaming it on them being taught by female teachers who didn't understand the difference in how men were meant to dance.

Watched Mesrine: Killer Instinct last night, and about to pop on Part 2.

Vincent Cassel is such an underrated actor. He is genuinely in my top 5 of all time, guy just oozes charisma and believability in every thing he does.

For those who haven't heard of it, it's based on the life of Jacques Mesrine, one of France's most notorious criminals.

Seek out, hopefully Part 2 is just as good.

Vincent has been my mancrush for years now, even back in La Haine he was just super and he seemed to fit his character perfectly like De Niro did with Travis Bickle.

But yeah, have fun with Part 2. I found it to be just as good as the first.

Yeah love La Haine, and as Mesrine, he's just menacing. You believe he is that character and I don't mean that in a wanky Method/Day-Lewis way, because I don't actually believe you need to go to those extremes to be a good actor, you just have to, you know, act.

You seen Dobermann? Was a silly film, but I enjoyed that as well. Fuck it, I'm going on a Cassel binge.