DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Did Trainspotting 2 today. Really good. Toned down the comedy a little bit and I liked the fact that it made Spud more than just comic relief as well. Well worth seeing and waiting for.

• Paid Members

I remember one kicking about that Elton John was supposed to be doing for a "View to a Kill" and it got canned very last minute for Duran Duran. He was raging. I'm sure it was on Youtube. It might have been one of his songs from his "Ice on Fire" album.

ADDED: Found it. Elton John - "Shoot Down the Moon"

You could probably see it as an ending song, but you're probably best with Duran Duran's for the opener..

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I remember one kicking about that Elton John was supposed to be doing for a "View to a Kill" and it got canned very last minute for Duran Duran. He was raging. I'm sure it was on Youtube. It might have been one of his songs from his "Ice on Fire" album.

You could probably see it as an ending song, but you're probably best with Duran Duran's for the opener..

I love the almost Bond songs. Didn't Muse have one as well? I do think the one for Spectre was shocking

• Awards Moderator

I read the book last summer due to all the fuss, and it started off well (the unreliable narrator stuff was nice) but it turned into an ultra-generic by the numbers thriller and ended up not wowing me at all. It was alright but not sure why it got all the praise it did.

• Paid Members

Watched 1984 (for the love of Big Brother) yesterday on NowTV due to John Hurt's passing and it was better than I remembered. Gregor Fisher playing a wee snivelling, wee bastard is a bit odd due to being Rab C. Nesbitt but there you go.

Whole music situation about it is complicated too. Virgin (who made the film) wanted the Eurythmics to do it, but the other producer wanted Dominic Muldowney (who I've never actually heard of) to do it and there was a big court case. No Eurythmics music is in the film, but they made a theme song and released a video for it (which is below). So there you go. Watch the film.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I read the book last summer due to all the fuss, and it started off well (the unreliable narrator stuff was nice) but it turned into an ultra-generic by the numbers thriller and ended up not wowing me at all. It was alright but not sure why it got all the praise it did.

Pretty much how I felt. Really enjoyed it to start with and then lost interest. It was as if the author just ran out of ideas and went for something easy.

The problem I had with the movie was that everyone just felt cast wrong. The location shift was pointless. The cast was full of people I've always enjoyed their work but here it just didn't work.

• Paid Members

There wasn't really much wrong with the cast. I don't really like Justin Theroux so I'd have replaced him with anyone else and Luke Evans should never be trying to do proper acting. It was certainly stronger in its early stages before it just became a pulpy whodunnit, much like the book. My biggest disappointment was that it didn't really look to solve any of the book's flaws and tried to be too much of a 'proper' adaptation.

Still, Haley Bennett tho.

• Paid Members

Just listened to this with my eyes closed, imagining silhouettes of dancing naked women and phallic guns on a lava lamp background. Didn't quite do it to be honest.

Just got back from Split. Full of Shyamalan's usual problem of underwriting and underediting, and the ending (to the story) was a bit disappointing (I'd have preferred something more "proactive" from the heroine) but an enjoyable 2 hours. I could have watched McAvoy being insane for that long, and I worried I'd developed a Hermione Granger for Anya Taylor-Joy, but I was relieved to discover she's 20. Mesmerising young actress.

• Paid Members

There wasn't really much wrong with the cast. I don't really like Justin Theroux so I'd have replaced him with anyone else and Luke Evans should never be trying to do proper acting. It was certainly stronger in its early stages before it just became a pulpy whodunnit, much like the book. My biggest disappointment was that it didn't really look to solve any of the book's flaws and tried to be too much of a 'proper' adaptation.

Still, Haley Bennett tho.

Justin Theroux is definitely never bettering his turn as an Irish man in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. I have to say Haley Bennett didn't do it for me at all. I like Blunt, but found her below her best in this. Am going to have to watch Edge Of Tomorrow again to wash of the stentch

The Girl On The Train - Just a poundland Gone Girl. Even found the score to be a bit of a rip off of the score from that (was it another Trent score? I figured as it was a Fincher film it was). Not one of Danny Elfman's finest

Edited by Nick Soapdish