DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Finally watched Green Room this week. Wow. Patrick Stewart is amazing (and terrifying), as is Anton Yelchin, the whole concept is fantastically simple, and yet tense as anything. Bit gory in places, but excellent.  

• Paid Members

Green Room is great, Yelchin was fantastic in it but i'm still not sure about the Stewart casting. Never really got that menace from him. Was the other lad in the band from Peaky Blinders?

I saw Trainspotting 2 the other night and I think I ruined it by watching the first film the night before, after not having seen it for about 10 years. The first film moves at a crazy pace with every scene standing up on its own and being memorable (and annoyingly quotable)

It was great to see the characters again but it just seemed so slow at points and never felt as grimey as the original. I think I need to watch it again but I came out quite disappointed  

Whilst having a look what films Kevin Smith has made over the last few years I stumbled across Tusk. After watching a few clips I'm almost tempted to give it a go. Is it as terrible as it appears or is there a tongue in cheek charm to it?

I remember him spouting about Jersey Girl being his Annie Hall coming of age film but to be fair he's probably never topped his first film. Red State was quite interesting but was ultimately disappointing and whilst I'll unapologetically sit through Jersey Girl whenever it's on it certainly wasn't his Annie Hall. Outside of the nostalgia of being a teenager and loving everything he did he's pretty shit really isn't he?

• Paid Members

Whilst having a look what films Kevin Smith has made over the last few years I stumbled across Tusk. After watching a few clips I'm almost tempted to give it a go. Is it as terrible as it appears or is there a tongue in cheek charm to it?

I remember him spouting about Jersey Girl being his Annie Hall coming of age film but to be fair he's probably never topped his first film. Red State was quite interesting but was ultimately disappointing and whilst I'll unapologetically sit through Jersey Girl whenever it's on it certainly wasn't his Annie Hall. Outside of the nostalgia of being a teenager and loving everything he did he's pretty shit really isn't he?

Once he started smoking too much weed, yes. I am a big advocate of legalizing Marijuana (not a smoker myself mind, just the health benefits i see), but then I think of his career.

Saying that, great talker/storyteller on podcasts/stage and he seems to be knocking it out directing DC TV and The Goldbergs. Maybe thats what he should stick to