DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I tried finding this online recently with no success, really wanted to watch it as I was doing a season of 1970s crime films.

I can only find it on youtube without subtitles, which is useless unless you can speak in the romantic tongue of the Italians.

• Paid Members

really been slacking on the movie front recently, ive been consumed by TV shows and find it hard to watch movies when ive got TV to catch up on, i banged a couple in yesterday though.

Vision Quest - cult 80's movie about a high school wrestler who falls in love with some chick that moves in with him. Being an MMA fan, i've heard about this movie a lot through the years because it's a cult favorite amongst high school wrestlers in America. I guess the appeal never translated to the UK but it's a good coming of age story in the vein of All The Right Moves. I enjoyed it, it's quite schmaltzy at times but i still enjoyed it and i thought Modine was quality as the lead...great 80's soundtrack too.

Contraband - standard hollywood heist-action type movie, i thought it was quality. Sometimes you don't want nothing too involving, just a fast-paced, entertaining action movie. That's what i got from Contraband. I've looked over the imdb boads (horrible place), and they've picked the fuck out of the movie which seems abit needless. Entertained me...special mention for the shootout in the movie, fantastic.

Last night, I watched Predator on Film 4, and Arnies battle roar from atop the tree is the manliest thing I have ever witnessed on celluloid.

It's the most macho film ever, isn't it? The testosterone is so heavy it tints the film stock. It makes sense if you listen to the commentaries on the DVD and hear them talk about how the leads were constantly trying to outbodybuild each other by getting up earlier and earlier in the morning to hit the gym, and spending most of the time on set comparing the quality of their cuban cigars.

• Paid Members
It's the most macho film ever, isn't it? The testosterone is so heavy it tints the film stock. It makes sense if you listen to the commentaries on the DVD and hear them talk about how the leads were constantly trying to outbodybuild each other by getting up earlier and earlier in the morning to hit the gym, and spending most of the time on set comparing the quality of their cuban cigars.

Fuckin A, sir. Stick that flick on during a social gathering at a convent and you have something that would defy chastity, exceed miracle and cause a plethora of Immaculate Conceptions! The manliest movie I have ever witnessed.

Carl Weathers is a hero to all men : "Arnold and I had a competitive thing going on. He took his whole gym down there, enough weights to kill a giant. All of a sudden guys were getting up at 6 and 4 in the morning, trying to be the first one in there and get the biggest pump. It was just ego, ego, ego. We were getting up in the middle of the night to work out! It was like having a bunch of adolescent boys at day camp."

Nobody can deliver the word 'pump' better than Carl Weathers. See the 'If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It' Making Of, for proof.

I wish the vein on my flute looked half as impressive as the one on Dutch's bicep:

eajm6e.jpg

Speaks for itself, really:

2q02cua.gif

The most impressive roar, and manliest scene in any movie ever:

141rynk.jpg

He ain't got time to bleed...but he did have time to duck, evidently:

anzvhu.jpg

All the more impressive is the title of The Body's biography. Fan-fucking-tastic:

3026laf.jpg

Edited by Scott Malbranque

I got round to watching The Silver Linings last night and really enjoyed it. I've been enjoying Bradley Cooper in general lately and he's doing really well for himself these days. Him and Jennifer Lawrence were great together. The storyline involves bipolar which I thought was interesting; as so many people all of a sudden claim to have the condition. It wasn't your typical cheesy rom-com either and really worked well. Also you've got the greatest of all time, Mr Robert De Niro in it who plays Coopers dad and is great. I remember Bradley Cooper was on Jonathon Ross a few months ago and mentioned the scene where De Niro was on top of during the little fight scene he could feel the outline of De Niro's package, brilliant. Chris Tucker was in it too, his face looks really different these days, it looks fat but his body isnt fat. Anyway overall I'd give this one a 8.25/10

• Paid Members
Old camera phone = terrible saturation but

carlloki8qq.jpg

He was at my wedding, you know.

Oh my days!!!!!!! Who are you Loki??? Really, now!!! It's you who scored Severance, isn't it? ADMIT IT! 'My friend scored Severance'...my arse!

Apollo Creed, Dillon, Chubbs Peterson, Action Jackson...oh my!! I've never felt envy like this. Did your missus not swoon in his presence? I'd have insisted he have first pop post nuptials in the honeymoon suite. Apollo's Seed, indeed!

• Awards Moderator

Watched Iron Man 3 the other night - really liked it.

Anyway, what I'm looking forward to is the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle's Anniversary Weekend filmfest - 25 hours of classic films on all their screens, from 10pm on the night of Saturday 25th through to the evening of Sunday 26th, and each film's only

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Adding stuff to my Lovefilm rental list.. Looking for recommendations on films with best blu-ray special features, particularly about the craft of filmmaking (or stuff like line-o-rama in comedies). And particularly, films where the blu-ray has significant extras that the DVD doesn't.

The Awakening. Quite an ironic title, as I fell asleep watching it. From what I saw/remember, it was a fairly interesting set up and looked like it could be a little bit edge of your seat creepiness, but it just had no atmosphere and ended up being quite dull.

Also, I found it amusing that I didn't realise Dominic West was English, which makes the scene in which he has to impersonate an Englishman in The Wire 'spot on'.

• Paid Members

There has been a staggering lack of discussion of The Last Stand round here. Why? Did everyone sleep through Arnie's comeback? Watch it, cunts, before they take it off YouTube:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXVvqcMD6M...player_embedded

It's really very good indeed.