DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Cabin in the Woods ending was such a let down, given the ballsy fun that went prior. Plus, I think Jamie Lee Curtis would have been better served in that role than Sigourney Weaver.

Everyone was shitting egg rolls about the cameo, and I went in blind, so when I saw it I was like 'Really? That's who they went with?' but that's the goon in me coming out though.

Before the little lady was born, the routine was we'd go bed, the missus would go asleep and I'd watch a movie while she slept. There would be a bit of a pump in there too, for the most part, in case you're thinking I'm not catering to a lady's needs. I do miss a 69 though...she has piles.

For the most part it was plain sailing, with the movies at night while she slept, but I'd be kicked out for shaking the bed with laughter, or if there was a foreign movie on and the accents/language was irritating her, which follows with 'Turn it off, I don't know what they are fucking saying and it's annoying me'.

She did enjoy Place Beyond the Pines though, but mainly coz she thinks there's a resemblance between me and somebody in it. So I got some. But not anal...coz she has piles.

• Paid Members

I'm much the same in that the cameo at the end was a let-down. It's not as if she's fallen out of the public eye or owt, she's not retired or anything. It would have meant more if they'd wheeled out someone else, and then the role she was given was absolutely pointless. Awesome fun beforehand, though, if overrated by some.

I'm in the same boat film-wise in watching stuff after she's gone to bed. I'll normally watch stuff she won't be interested in then as well but we've both seen films together that have become amongst our favourites - Eternal Sunshine, Children Of Men, Zodiac to name but three. If I watch something I reckon she'll like, like The Escapist that I saw the other night (she loves Brian Cox and Liam Cunningham as well), then I'll put on a list for a rewatch.

Mrs Malcolm hasn't got piles. We'll probably have it off tonight.

I'm a bit of a fan of Whedon, but he's definitely hit and miss, although as you say Branquey we'll always have Malcolm Reynolds.

As far as JJ Abrams... look, he's a movie theatre director. He makes films that are fucking spectacular entertainment at the cinema. Mi:3, Cloverfield, Star Trek, Super 8... all were a real rollercoaster of an experience on the big screen with the loud sound. You get bang for your buck, much as the big action movie directors did back in the 80s.

He's James Cameron, but not shit. He's Tony Scott, but still alive. He's not Spielberg, and probably can't do that clever combination of action and sympathy that had made Spielberg one of the greatest directors of all time, but he's bold and I like that. Will I defend his films as "great"? Probably not, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching them down the Odeon.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

He's not in Cameron's league. Cameron may only make shit these days, but he also made Aliens, two Terminator films, True Lies and The Abyss. Abrams hasn't made a film that is even close to being as good as any of them. Super 8 was a huge disappointment. Of course, his day may come but I doubt he'll ever make a film as good as any of those.

• Paid Members

Liam Cunningham is a hero. The Dog Soldiers commentary is absolutely hilarious.

In fairness, Cameron hasn't made a good movie since True Lies, and is so full of his own shite it's sickening, but nobody could touch that man for hard sci-fi or action back in the 80's and 90's. I still stand by Aliens being a more enjoyable movie than Alien.

I must watch Serenity again. That to me is Whedon's finest moment, and better than any of the Star Wars or Star Trek movies...plus I have an immerciful crush on Morena Baccarin.

I hope you get yours tonight Mr.De-Mal! And you too Loki, and you too!

I really enjoyed Cloverfield. Got sucked into the cunting virals and everything...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I think we must have been separated at birth, Branquey. I enjoyed Cloverfield as well, really enjoyed how it was built up and how things suddenly went mad.

Morena Baccarin is delightful. I have to admit to a huge sway towards women with short hair but she also has plenty of other things going for her.

And yes, much prefer Aliens to Alien and it is in fact my favourite ever film. It has everything that film.

• Paid Members

Indeedin we were sir, indeedin it seems that way!

Plus, with Cloverfield, I really loved the Hud character. Not to sound like a pretentious cunt, but it's a nice touch actually feeling like you're actually physically on a journey with a character in a movie, and I thought Reeves, Abrams and the Hud character gave me that. Still to this day, when I watch it I get sucked into that false sense of security with the characters and the party and what not, until it all goes bonkers.

Well to be involved in the love in, Aliens - if pressed - would be the flick I would my favourite of all time. Many come and go, but that always remains!

Actually, making a liar out of myself, the missus only watched that with me a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. So we did find a middle ground on that one...

As a big Firefly fan, when I saw Baccarin liberally get in the raw in Homeland I near shit myself.

• Paid Members

My sister's gone away for two months for work, so she'll miss my birthday in July. I got in from work today to find an Amazon box which I wasn't expecting, she's got me the full Sopranos boxset. I love the Sopranos but only started watching from series 3 or 4, so I'm looking forward to working through the whole thing from the start.

He's not in Cameron's league. Cameron may only make shit these days, but he also made Aliens, two Terminator films, True Lies and The Abyss. Abrams hasn't made a film that is even close to being as good as any of them. Super 8 was a huge disappointment. Of course, his day may come but I doubt he'll ever make a film as good as any of those.

No argument there, but he's the guy who does nowadays what Cameron was doing back in those days - pushing the envelope of action movies with effects and techniques. I can't really separate his Production from his Direction, as who the fuck is Matt Reeves really? Cloverfield feels entirely like Abrams' movie, and as you say is very enjoyable. If they'd gone for a different last 5 minutes it would have been a flawless monster movie.

• Paid Members
Well to be involved in the love in, Aliens - if pressed - would be the flick I would my favourite of all time. Many come and go, but that always remains!

Actually, making a liar out of myself, the missus only watched that with me a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. So we did find a middle ground on that one...

My wife liked it as well, but I think she actually preferred Event Horizon and Outland, which I showed to her at around the same time. I was delighted she liked Outland, actually, wasn't sure if she would like that.

Just as an addendum to my Monarchs list from a few pages ago, that new Philippa Gregory adaptation, 'The White Queen', on BBC soon has Edward IV played by Max Irons, and Henry VI played by someone I haven't heard of (David Shelley?).

David Shelley was in The Politician's Husband iirc, he was the undercover reporter, if that helps any?

I did indeed rewatch Heathers over the weekend.

It's still great, but watching it as an adult, and post-Columbine, you certainly get a completely different reaction. Christian Slater's character was always really romantic and cool and his violent tendencies seemed allegorical more than dangerous.

Now though, you quickly start thinking "Yeah, this guy is nuts" rather than, he's just like James Dean. It's hard to know what to make of the ending now - does "good" triumph over evil, or not? The Heathers are displaced but she's rejected his anarchical take on life as well, whereas I remember it from the first time more as, he was a conduit to allow her to change.

Anyway, it's worth watching again. 17 year old Winona Ryder is fucking gorgeous, and has the nicest tits I think I've seen for a long time in a film.

• Paid Members

After all the talk on Friday, I rewatched Heathers, Pump Up the Volume, and Kuffs over the weekend nights.

Can't argue with Lokesters assessment of the flick, but I do still find the JD character to be ridiculously cool. I love the performance and the look of absolute confusion and shame on his face when Ryder's character makes the suggestion of a milk and orange juice cocktail, is hilarious.

The ending always annoyed me, even as a kid, and still did on Friday nights viewing. I just thought it was out of character for JD to all of a sudden grow a type of conscience, and almost romantically do what he did. But still, a magnificent movie.

Pump Up the Volume is still the business, and although it rang truer and was a bit more appropriate to watch as a teenager, it is an excellent and not to sound a cunt, but thought provoking, teen flick that is always overlooked in favour of John Hughes' and Cameron Crowe's teen efforts.

Kuffs is better than Beverly Hills Cop.

Edited by Scott Malbranque