DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
stand-by-me-poster_8303.jpg

I was sobbing by the end of this. Can already tell this film will end up meaning a lot to me.

its probably my favorite film of all time. I watched it as a kid so every time i put it on i relate the kids and it reminds me so much of my childhood, it gives me that nostlagic feel along with the fact that it's a great story. I can't pick one fault with it.

If you're a fan i recommend you pick up the Blu-ray for the picture-in-picture commentary, it's well worth watching.

• Paid Members

I went to see the Rocky Horror Show in an old cinema name the Classic in Harold's Cross, Dublin when I was 17 because my mate kept rabbitting on about it.

It was a midnight show and all I can say is, I wanted to actually commit violence on a large scale that night. Dozy fanboy shite merchants in drag dancing up the aisles to a movie on a cinema screen thinking they are actually part of this nonsense.

I can't give a full, warranted criticism of the movie as I left halfway through but I will say it was akin to that time my mate and his oul lad dragged me to a Star Trek convention when I was 13 and I actually felt sympathy - which then evolved into raw anger, as the day progressed - watching grown men in full costume believe that George Takei actually was that Zulu lad. Fucking nonsense.

I'm a good time boy, I'd rather laugh than frown and love a fancy dress party but not like that. Not like that...

And another bastard thing, The Dark Knight fucking Rises in the big iSense cinema in Dublin. Some fucks came in full costume for that too...even my son, who was 10 at the time, knew there was an awful lot of wrong going on around us that day.

Anyways, I wound up watching State of Grace and The Firm (Oldman's hooly one). I absolutely love that man. The chap has officially rifled into the lead as my favourite actor of all time. Up tonight is True Romance...

• Paid Members

State Of Grace is a tremendous film although it must be about 15 years since I saw it. Have you seen Romeo Is Bleeding, Branquey? Oldman is awesome in that.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
What complete cunts making the most of something they enjoy with other like minded people eh?

I hate football, I went to a football match and there were loads of people wearing their team's colours chanting having a good time, what wankers.

Am I allowed to hate both? Because I do.

Seriously though, I think you should know what you're going to get going to one of these shows so you can't really complain about it. The idea of going to some sing-along or quote-along screening of a "cult" movie sounds fucking awful to me, so I just wouldn't do it. Same as I won't go see something at the Peckham Plex unless I'm in the mood for people playing with their phones and talking during the film, or shouting stuff at the screen.

Doesn't stop the people being weirdos though. It's distinctly different when they bleed over into a "normal" showing, like Malbranque's experience. The last time I saw that was oddballs in Hobbit cloaks for Lord of the Rings 2 or 3 at the cinema. Prince Charles Cinema - yes, Purley Way Vue - no.

• Paid Members
What complete cunts making the most of something they enjoy with other like minded people eh?

I hate football, I went to a football match and there were loads of people wearing their team's colours chanting having a good time, what wankers.

I'm just saying, there's a time and a place and a bastard cinema isn't one of them. Genuinely, would you bomb into your local cinema when Man of Steel drops, in a Superman outfit? Or to really stand out, Bizarro? And if you saw a load of gawky looking fucks in said outfits, would you not roll your eyes?

My 10 year old (at the time) son would not wear his Riddler t-shirt to the Dark Knight Rises because he thought he'd look a nerd.

I respect him for that, coz I did not, and never would (I even asked Jake why he wasn't wearing it), put that notion in his head, which would lead me to believe, that a child - of his own free will and integrity - decided not to wear a somewhat relevant t-shirt for vanity purposes, which made me proud.

By all means, go an have a ball at a party, a theme night, an interractive show...but not a fucking cinema showing.

That Star Trek convention was a different gravy altogether. At least 92% of the attendees were male and resembled Harry Knowles. It was wrong...and I stand by that.

Saying that, Comic Con looks the business, and it's my dream to go to San Diego for it, but I wouldn't walk in dressed as Deadpool or John fucking Constantine.

State Of Grace is a tremendous film although it must be about 15 years since I saw it. Have you seen Romeo Is Bleeding, Branquey? Oldman is awesome in that.

His performance as Jackie Boy is out of this world, D-Mal. He actually makes the rest of the flick kind of boring when he's not on screen.

I forgot all about Romeo is Bleeding. There you go, tonight's viewing sorted. I'll back burner True Romance as I only watched it fairly recently anyway.

I haven't seen it in yonks, but I remember last time I watched it wondering why it was savaged by critics. It's a bit disjointed, but Oldman as always holds it together. Looking forward to revisiting this now.

• Paid Members

Haha, you're a good egg Scott, I'm certainly not one of those guys who dresses up as Superman but like the Man of Steel I feel the need to defend the pathetic.

The thought of someone sitting through The Dark Knight Rises dressed as Batman does make me want to laugh, cry and hurl in equal measure though.

You get some nice looking girls cosplaying at conventions, I did see an obese Harley Quinn at the weekend though which amused me.

• Paid Members
I forgot all about Romeo is Bleeding. There you go, tonight's viewing sorted. I'll back burner True Romance as I only watched it fairly recently anyway.

I haven't seen it in yonks, but I remember last time I watched it wondering why it was savaged by critics. It's a bit disjointed, but Oldman as always holds it together. Looking forward to revisiting this now.

Again, it was years ago that I saw it but I remember it being a cracking modern noir. Lena Olin is stunning and brilliant in it - really wasted her career, that one. I do like a good modern noir and that's one of the better ones.

• Paid Members

Anyone seen Hated - the documentary about GG Allin just before his death? Pretty great film. He was an intense bloke, to say the least. Horrible cunt, but its a fascinating documentary about him with interviews from his Mam and close friends about why he was a complete nugget. Pretty fitting ending to his life that he bashed Rock n Roll and preached now different he was. Then he dies in a motel room of a heroin overdose in a very rock n roll manner.

If I could sum the film up it two words it would simply be: small knob.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
Anyone seen Hated - the documentary about GG Allin just before his death?

I have, I absolutely love it, he was the real deal, that's why I find it so interesting, he's not playing it up, he's a disgusting bastard nihilist who does not give a fuck and he proved it. Did the one you see have the whole concert after from (I think) the day he died where some guy from the audience follows him around with his hand up his arse and they get kicked out of the venue and start walking through the streets? That was fascinating too.

Anyone seen Hated - the documentary about GG Allin just before his death?

I have, I absolutely love it, he was the real deal, that's why I find it so interesting, he's not playing it up, he's a disgusting bastard nihilist who does not give a fuck and he proved it. Did the one you see have the whole concert after from (I think) the day he died where some guy from the audience follows him around with his hand up his arse and they get kicked out of the venue and start walking through the streets? That was fascinating too.

I recently came across this online. It's bloody shocking seeing what he was like. Taking a shit on floor, naked in the middle of a gig and then battering the fans. Regarding the sexual assault/rape to both females and males was this a regular thing he did? I saw him mention it on the Jerry Springer show which is on Youtube but I haven't seen much mention or footage to support this. It's rather "he got naked, shit everywhere and hit people". He really was a crazy bastard. I remember one of his slogans was "I'm bringing danger back to Rock N Roll", haha.

It's cool on CKY (Volume 2?) When they visit his grave on one of the skits.

Edited by Twinn