DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

tumblr_m6yzzsBsd51r510f3o1_500.jpg

Good lord.

Branquey, we should co-ordinate movie watching more often. Where did you find Pump Up The Volume?

Has Christian Slater been in any decent movies since Hard Rain? I know he did some jail time, perhaps that killed his career. Pity.

• Paid Members

Indeed'n we should Lokester.

Genuinely, no word of a lie, that was probably the only time I pulled the stomach out of myself to a full clothed lady when I was a teenager, was that scene involving Ryder. She was, and still is, a majestic looking human.

Slater can be brilliant, it's just a shame he has that Kilmer and Liotta Direct to DVD stigma!

He Was A Quiet Man was okay, he made it watchable and I did enjoy 3000 Miles To Graceland, but on the whole, he hasn't flourished since the criminally underrated Very Bad Things.

I wanted to like Mindhunters, I really did, but it was septic.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

I'm very excited actually, as I finally got hold of Society on DVD, it arrived in the post last week. I'm hoping it still holds up, as I remember loving this back when I first saw it.

The late 80s seems to have been a golden age for intelligent, low-budget satire like Heathers or even Society. Do people not make films like this any more? Or am I wearing rose-tinted glasses?

The late 80s seems to have been a golden age for intelligent, low-budget satire like Heathers or even Society. Do people not make films like this any more? Or am I wearing rose-tinted glasses?

I'm not sure, me and a mate have had a similar discussion of recent months. We both love trashy sci-fi and intelligent low budget films that would usually wind up their way to a video shop back in the day. Now they seem to wind up on Sci-Fi but be terrible, and not have an ounce of grandness, or indeed intelligence or satire.

I suppose stuff like Drop Dead Gorgeous (14 Years old), Series 7: The Contenders (12 Years Old) and possibly Not Another B Movie ( not seen it so not sure, 5 years old ish) would fit to some degree, 2 out of the three are hardly current though. I guess that what I'm saying is I don't think people necessarily are making this type of film, unless it's coming through Kim Newman's Dungeon Breakout or abroad, then they aren't as well publicised these days as they used to be.

• Paid Members
I'm very excited actually, as I finally got hold of Society on DVD, it arrived in the post last week. I'm hoping it still holds up, as I remember loving this back when I first saw it.

I watched it at a midnight screening about a year ago. It still holds up and the Screaming Mad George practical effects are still stunning at points. There was a LOT of money to be made in the video market in the late 80s. Something like Society would be greenlit on the basis of it being a horror film, regardless of its social commentary. In fact Im pretty sure that after the studio saw the final film they didn't know what to do with it and it was held back from a US release, only getting one after some positive reviews in the UK and Europe.

Let me know what the DVD transfer is like, might hunt it down if its any good

Watched The Last Stand. Arnie is great in it as a badass veteran. But it's unspectacular overall. Maybe it's because I watched Commando a few days ago, but it does feel like The Last Stand needs to be shorter, with more Arnie and far more one-liners.

Edited by Vice

• Paid Members

Does anyone on here like James Garner? Iv'e been watching Maverick recently and a few of his movies and the guy is really good, can do crime films, Westerns, rom-coms, big war stuff and do it all well. Watched They Only Kill Their Masters last night which was a typical 70's cop mystery film but it was pretty good, wasn't totally obvious which I can find can be a problem with alot of those films.

• Paid Members

Just watched the Tall Man. Fantastic. Cant say too much about it, as the story unfolds in some surprising ways, but it is well worth a watch.

• Paid Members

"Society" is still insanely good. Absolutely insane and a bit stomach-churning (now that I'm a older. Effects are great), to be honest, but still good.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Ryan Gosling. He's so hot right now.

Seriously, though, his career has gone stellar, and well deserved if Drive is anything to go by. I need to watch some of his other movies, as at one point he was in every trailer in the cinema!

• Paid Members

Not just saying this, but I've been trumpeting that lad since The Believer.

Gangster Squad was pretty shit though. Like Dick Tracy trying to take itself seriously.

Refn's new flick with Gosling, 'Only God Forgives' has a great buzz behind it, and am looking forward to reading the Cannes reviews tomorrow after it debuts.

The chap's charisma is ridiculous. I only ever thought that Pitt was the only man to play what was probably my favourite character (next to Hudson in Aliens) in cinema history in Tyler Durden, but Gosling could probably out-Durden, Pitt. That's the best compliment I can pay the man.

I'd recommend The Believer, Murder By Numbers, Place Beyond The Pines, Drive, All Good Things, Blue Valentine (although poxily bleak), Lars and the Real Girl, Half Nelson, The United States of Leyland and Stay.

I think I actually love this man, on a par with my love for Mike Patton, who incidentally, scored Place Beyond the Pines. It's all too much for me!

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members
Not just saying this, but I've been trumpeting that lad since The Believer.

Haha, me too. I'd still rather be fucked by Reynolds than Gosling though.

I'm disappointed in Reynolds over the whole Deadpool thing, so he's blanked now and getting the silent treatment from me.