DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I reccommend the overlooked L.I.E to Brian Cox fans. It's about the relationship between a vulnerable boy and a charismatic older man (Cox) which turns nasty. It also uses Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man on the soundtrack to sinister effect, much like Zodiac which also features a stellar turn by big Bri.

His turn as Jack Langrishe in Deadwood was great as well, a character who's never really fleshed out in storyline terms but Brian Cox makes him completely convincing, with a couple of world class 2 handers with Ian McShane.

I re-watched Commando last night, after a good few years. Some films, you watch them again and you discover more subtlety. With Commando, you watch it again and it reaffirms even more strongly just how silly it is. But gloriously over-the-top, unbelievably entertainingly silly. It really is the perfect vehicle for Schwarzenegger, and it contains a lot of his best one-liners and a brilliant, ludicrously violent rampage. And it has Bennett! Awesome film.

The new Jason Statham film, Hummingbird is pretty good. Statham is a former soldier, now a homeless alcoholic in London who ends up taking a rich guy's identity and using his army training to do some good deeds, albeit in a violent manner. He gives a more subtle performance than usual and the film as a whole is an interesting character study that dangles close to Mike leigh's Naked territory in parts, without becoming too arty and still delivering the expected moments of face-smashing when required.

Edited by Wendell Cooley

• Awards Moderator

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness today. Really liked it, but there was one thing I didn't quite get. Could someone explain to me

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

how Khan ended up back in his cryogenic chamber? Did they defeat him or was he just convinced to? Or did he happiy agree to it? The last we saw, I know he'd been downed by Spock and Uhura, but he was still immeasurably superior to them so I'm not quite clear on how they managed to get his blood and then get him in a cryo tube. What did I miss?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness today. Really liked it, but there was one thing I didn't quite get. Could someone explain to me

how Khan ended up back in his cryogenic chamber? Did they defeat him or was he just convinced to? Or did he happiy agree to it? The last we saw, I know he'd been downed by Spock and Uhura, but he was still immeasurably superior to them so I'm not quite clear on how they managed to get his blood and then get him in a cryo tube. What did I miss?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

From what I remember when I saw it last week, Spock knocked him out and from there the viewer is to believe while he was knocked out they took his blood and then locked him away in the cryo tube.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Awards Moderator

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

From what I remember when I saw it last week, Spock knocked him out and from there the viewer is to believe while he was knocked out they took his blood and then locked him away in the cryo tube.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!

• Paid Members

I've just got back from seeing Star Trek at the BFI IMAX.

It's flawed but hugely entertaining. The 3D was a little patchy but when it was good it was terrific.

• Moderators

:(

I had no hopes for Gatsby, but gutted to hear that about Star Trek. Even the complementary review I've heard haven't been glowing. (I've not read any proper in depth reviews as I don't want to know too much before seeing it, but have seen a fair few one line opinions now)

• Paid Members

JJ Abrams isn't very good, is he? He's done some decent films as a producer but as a director he has nothing to offer aside from flashy visuals.

• Paid Members
:(

I had no hopes for Gatsby, but gutted to hear that about Star Trek. Even the complementary review I've heard haven't been glowing. (I've not read any proper in depth reviews as I don't want to know too much before seeing it, but have seen a fair few one line opinions now)

Don't take my word for Star Trek, Chest, seriously. Probably unfair of me to be so damning, when there are people who understand and appreciate the mythos involved with that universe, and was probably laden with in jokes and references that bounced on me.

Most people loved it, and my mate who actually despises anything Sci-Fi oriented, thought it was fantastic.

I'm not a Trek fan, but I did really enjoy the 2009 flick (the Two Steps From Hell themed trailer still gives me goosebumps) and had high hopes for this, but besides the always endearing Cumberbatch, I found it very flat. I felt the same way after watching the Bourne Legacy, is the best way I can put it.

Gatsby, I'd stay well clear of. My missus loved it...which would tell you all you need to know, considering her taste in flicks ranges from Pretty Woman to Dirty Dancing to Chicago and at a stretch, Red Dragon.

EDIT - Aye Gladders, Abrams' dialogue is always atrocious and overly self referential for my liking. Makes it worse, when I don't get the references.

To be fair, I think Joss Whedon is far superior (in the realm of A list fantasy directors) as he can point the finger and laugh at himself and the universes he creates.

Plus, he gave me Malcolm Reynolds who I wish I was.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Well, you won't get much good word out of me about Whedon, Branquey, but in fairness to the guy I thought The Cabin In The Woods was tremendous fun apart from its crap ending.

On the subject of your good lady and her film taste, I think me and Mrs Malcolm are quite lucky in that we have liked most of the films we have watched together, and we've watched a good range. We both have different tastes in terms of what are our favourites - she doesn't like westerns and I don't like musicals, but generally we have found a pretty good middle-ground.

Edited by Devon Malcolm