DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Guzman was a fantastic surprise as although I knew we'd be getting some comedy sidekick action from Knoxville I had no idea he'd be in the mix as well. Always a welcome addition.

I really hate Johnny Knoxville. He was easily the worst thing in this. It made up for it with fleeting Sonny Landham and Harry Dean Stanton appearances, though.

I didn't spot Sonny Landham, and it seems like his scene(s?) got cut altogether. A lot of wildly confused people think he was the fat guy who gave Arnie the keys to his car, which is mental because that's obviously not him.

I thought he was the bloke Peter Stormare was talking to in the cafe but looking up it wasn't him. Weird.

I recently watched The Extras Season 1 & 2 and have really enjoyed them. I was surprised to see such famous names appear throughout it and got a right boner when Robert De Niro made an appearance. I thought Barry and Stephen Merchant made this, they were phenomenal. I couldn't help but think the program they did just was that shite known as Mrs's Browns Boys. Which is literally the most dreadful program I've seen.

After watching that I watched Life's Too Short which was very similar and enjoyable to watch. I'd really recommend this.

• Paid Members
Wait, they did Mrs Brown's boys? I've not seen much of it thankfully, but it's miles away from what they've done in the past.

No I think he means the shitty sitcom in Extras ( When the whistle blows) that Andy makes is basically just Mrs Browns Boys or as its described in the show "silly wigs and catchphrases"

• Paid Members
No I think he means the shitty sitcom in Extras ( When the whistle blows) that Andy makes is basically just Mrs Browns Boys or as its described in the show "silly wigs and catchphrases"

Derek wasn't really too far off from what Gervais was parodying in Extras in that respect, was it?

Wait, they did Mrs Brown's boys? I've not seen much of it thankfully, but it's miles away from what they've done in the past.

Exactly.

Derek is nothing like Mrs Browns Boys.

• Awards Moderator

I watched Semi Pro this morning, and it wasn't until I went onto Flixster to pop a rating on* that I discovered I had already seen it. I had no idea.

I think this qualifies Semi Pro as the most forgettable film I've ever seen (twice). There are plenty of films where I can't remember much of the plot, or have blanked on certain scenes or characters, but this is the only time I have completely forgotten even watching the film.

I would have begun this post with "What's the most forgettable film you've ever seen?", but if anyone else's is as forgettable as Semi Pro was for me, nobody's going to remember!

*I rate films on Flixster. It's a handy way to keep track of what I've watched - with this one exception!

• Paid Members

Anyone seen The Escapist? Just watched it, thought it was very good indeed. Great cast (Brian Cox has to be one of our greatest film actors by now?), really interesting take on the usual prison escape story, and a nicely ambiguous ending. Cracking stuff.

The Escapist is great, I seem to remember the ending splitting people at the time but I went with it and found it to be an effective conclusion.

Brian Cox is tremendous. I've recently been re-watching the Bourne films (Ultimatum is the best, Legacy the worst, none are bad) and he just adds a sense of weight and importance to every scene he's in. It's a shame he shares his name with that insufferable science muppet who seems to be all over TV lately.

I was quite surprised to see Sheamus in it, in his pre-WWE days. It is a great film though.

Brian Cox's Hollywood career has really been going great in the last 10 years or so, he seems like one of those actors who got better parts once he was a bit over the hill.

I'm one of those who think his performance as Hannibal Lektor was in many respects better than Hopkins, though less iconic.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, his Lektor was far better. Much less of a pantomime villain and far more convincing. Cox is one of my favourite actors now.

Cox was also great in The Long Kiss Goodnight, and X2 amongst others. The Escapist regularly pops up on films that are great, but no bugger went to see it lists, especially in Empire. I loved it when watched it on Film 4 and the ending really does have a nice 'make your own mind up as to what happens' finish to it. All in his mind or actuality?