DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Hate to ask another question, don't want to go to either imdb.com or Wikipedia to spoil my watch. Has anybody ever watched that banned "Visions of Ecstacy" short?

Somebody has also uploaded that to Youtube (PROBABLY NSFW. NOT WATCHED IT YET. BEWARE).

Crazy what you can find there. Only film banned in the UK for "blasphemy". Banned in 1989. Released now though.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

It's not very interesting, bAz, but considering it's only a short it is worth a few minutes. Nigel Wingrove says some interesting things in his film but he isn't actually very good.

• Paid Members

Welcome to the world of Nigel Wingrove. If nuns frigging themselves silly is your thing, you'll love his other movies. Interesting bloke when being interviewed, but not exactly an excellent director. Keep an eye on the horror channel, they tend to put some cracking interviews with people like him, Jesus Franco, Jean Rolling and others as padding between movies. Always a good watch.

Welcome to the world of Nigel Wingrove. If nuns frigging themselves silly is your thing, you'll love his other movies. Interesting bloke when being interviewed, but not exactly an excellent director. Keep an eye on the horror channel, they tend to put some cracking interviews with people like him, Jesus Franco, Jean Rolling and others as padding between movies. Always a good watch.

Has anybody actually sat through "Salo: 120 Days of Sodom"? See somebody has uploaded it to Youtube. Just wanting to know if it's worth a watch.

Its the only film ive bought where the guy behind the counter wished me luck with a solemn look on their face.

Like Steve 'Big' Jobs said, its worth a watch. very interesting film, a bit tough in places though.

• Paid Members

Just rewatched Jackie Brown. What a film, probably my favourite of Tarantinos films. Robert Forster is fantastic in it, glad it gave him a few more years of movie offers. Pam Grier never got the big career revival everyone was saying she would from it but She is superb and having those two as the leads must have been a huge risk for Miramax at the time although I remember a lot of the marketing being around Sam Jackson and De Niro. Also Michael Keaton is ace and should be in everything.

• Paid Members

I rewatched Mortal Kombat last night, I loved that film when I saw it at the cinema and it's still a fun watch today.

I forgot how good the four-armed, half-dragon Goro looked in the film, while perusing the net after watching it I found this great video of the behind the scenes testing of his animatronics and stuff, he looks great and the way he can move is remarkable, even if you're not into the movie this is a good watch as it's always fun to see great pre CGI effects and this beautifully detailed 120lb animatronic suit was pretty state of the art at the time.

• Paid Members
Watched "The Raid" yesterday. Immense fun! Think that just about covers it.

Yep! Nothing more than that. Not the action classic that it has been credited as but really entertaining. The sequel should be great as well.

• Paid Members
Also Michael Keaton is ace and should be in everything.

Remember that football film he did with Robert Duvall, Ally McCoist and *Owen Coyle* - "A Shot at Glory"? What an awful thing that was.

"A Shit at Glory" Wiki

Jesus Tom Hagen from The Godfather and a soundtrack by Mark Knopfler for that shite, just awful.

It did give us the picture of Duvall outside Celtic Park with a "Keep Ulster Protestant" scarf though, so that made up for it. Can't link the image on the iPad but google Robert Duvall Rangers Scarf and you'll see it.