DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Just finished watching Tower Block. I really enjoyed it but I'm probably a bit biased as I'm a big Sheridan Smith fan.

A good watch at only 90 minutes. Finally a decent British movie for me, saw a right couple of stinkers last year.

• Paid Members
Just finished watching Tower Block. I really enjoyed it but I'm probably a bit biased as I'm a big Sheridan Smith fan.

A good watch at only 90 minutes. Finally a decent British movie for me, saw a right couple of stinkers last year.

I was surprised on how good this was. Quite tense and gripping to the end.

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend a few good Spencer Tracy films? Iv'e seen Bad Day At Black Rock, Broken Lance, Malaya and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and really enjoy the guy's work. He' excellent, I have The Last Hurrah and Judgement at Nuremberg lined up to watch but a few other recommendations would be good.

Probably the obvious answer to your question but his work with Katherine Hepburn is great.

Adam's Rib is probably the best of the lot.State of the Union,Pat and Mike and Keeper of the Flame are all really good aswell in my opinion.

I know you've already mentioned it but Judgment at Nuremberg is a great film.Terrific cast aswell what with Richard Widmark,Burt Lancaster,Marlene Dietrich and even Judy Garland popping up in it.O and William Shatner's in it too.

Maximilian Schell who played the defense lawyer was fantastic in it.

• Awards Moderator

Watched Rock of Ages tonight - and in doing so, missed Coriolanus on BBC2; if you haven't seen Coriolanus, I urge you to iPlayer it, it's stupendous. Anyway, I watched Rock of Ages, and although it was ridiculously predictable (the g/f was utterly convinced I had already seen it), I liked it when they did songs I recognised... which, I suppose, is the whole point of a jukebox musical. So it does its job, and Tom Cruise has got the 80s-hair-metal-frontman mannerisms pretty much sorted.

Also, I had forgotten Kevin Nash was in it. He gets a line in 'Wanted Dead Or Alive'. It's great.

• Paid Members
Probably the obvious answer to your question but his work with Katherine Hepburn is great.

Adam's Rib is probably the best of the lot.State of the Union,Pat and Mike and Keeper of the Flame are all really good aswell in my opinion.

I know you've already mentioned it but Judgment at Nuremberg is a great film.Terrific cast aswell what with Richard Widmark,Burt Lancaster,Marlene Dietrich and even Judy Garland popping up in it.O and William Shatner's in it too.

Maximilian Schell who played the defense lawyer was fantastic in it.

Thanks for the recommendations :thumbsup: have found a few more films to add to my list. The problem with the Hepburn films is much like Lauren Bacall iv'e always found her face/voice very off putting. I'll get through it though! Thanks again.

• Paid Members
Took my wee lad to GI Joe last night. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and was actually enjoyable. The action set piece atop and around the mountain involving Snake Eyes is magnificently done, but I was a bit miffed when

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

they offed Duke(Tatum) within ten minutes of the flick

[close spoiler]

");document.close();.

Same here, when

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

London was completely destroyed in seconds, resulting in millions of deaths, and not mentioned for the rest of the movie.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Thanks for the recommendations :thumbsup: have found a few more films to add to my list. The problem with the Hepburn films is much like Lauren Bacall iv'e always found her face/voice very off putting. I'll get through it though! Thanks again.

No problem.I happen to like Katherine Hepburn but I know exactly what you mean.Sometimes it feels as if she's doing an over the top impersonation of herself.Cate Blanchett playing her in The Aviator is a prime example of this.Whilst Blanchett nails the mannerisms and voice it fells at times like she's doing a bit for a sketch show about Hepburn at times.

• Paid Members

Just watched the ABC's of death. Bit of a mixed bag, but with each film being around 5 minutes long, if you are watching a crapy bit, a good bit is just a few minutes away. Favourite bit? F. Laughed my balls off.

• Moderators
Just watched the ABC's of death. Bit of a mixed bag, but with each film being around 5 minutes long, if you are watching a crapy bit, a good bit is just a few minutes away. Favourite bit? F. Laughed my balls off.

Mixed bag? Almost a complete pile of shit from start to finish, more like. It's weird, but if you give a filmmaker $5k and tell them to make a short, evidently they'll revert to their teenage sensibilities and make something about farts, tits or cum. Aside from D(ogfight), which was beautifully shot, and the wanking contest one, most of the shorts were fucking awful; try-hard, tedious shock value all the way. I gave it a go because Ti West, the best horror director of the last decade, had one in there, but that was so bad (and so short), I couldn't even believe they left it in. Truly the kind of rubbish I'd have churned out when I was 13 and thought it was outrageous to talk about abortion buckets and whatnot. What was he thinking?

Here's a synopsis of one of them:

F: F is for Fart

Director: Noboru Iguchi

Writer: Noboru Iguchi

In Japan, a school girl claims that she does not believe God exists; if he did, he wouldn't allow sensitive girls to fart. As she is farting, she is discovered by a female teacher, Miss Yumi. The girl is revealed to have romantic feelings for Miss Yumi, her favorite teacher. The ground shakes, and an earthquake releases poisonous gas that kills everyone. The girl and Miss Yumi run away to escape the gas. In a room, the girl confesses to wanting to die by smelling Miss Yumi's gas instead. Miss Yumi removes her skirt and farts for the girl. The girl bends down to receive her gas, which is yellow. The yellow gas surrounds the girl and consumes her. She and Miss Yumi are shown naked inside a yellow area, presumably Miss Yumi's gas. The girls embrace and kiss.

Farting Japanese schoolgirl lesbians. The ABC's of Death is a smelly internet man's thoughts made into a film. Oh, the samurai one was fucking brilliant though. Almost made it worth sitting through the other 25.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
Has anybody actually sat through "Salo: 120 Days of Sodom"? See somebody has uploaded it to Youtube. Just wanting to know if it's worth a watch.

I've seen it, it's definitely worth a watch but don't expect a life changing experience. Read about it first because it's more fun if you know some shit about it.