DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I'm in the pro-Kill List camp. I don't think there's been a flim that changed directions/genres so abruptly and adeptly since From Dusk Till Dawn - it threw me for a loop which is something I always welcome. That scene with the hammer is one of the nastiest pieces of screen violence I can remember, too. Just horrible. Up until it goes cuckoo at the end I liked the mysterious nature of their assignment coupled with the realism of the dialogue and characters. The climactic chase through the tunnels was exciting, so so what if it was a bit Wickermanish? It's not a bad film to be influenced by, nor did Kill List shamelessly rip it off.

Speaking of the Wicker Man, has anyone seen The Wicker Tree? Now there's a curate's egg of a film. Fine in theory, a bit rub in practice.

It might have been me that spoilt Kill List - I definitely compared it to the ending of that other film (which I watched about a week before Kill List) but I almost definitely wasn't the first person on here to watch or discuss Kill List, either, so I can't remember if I was responding to someone else also making said comparison. Anyway, Kill List is a bit shit regardless of comparisons and similarities. It has some really good aspects, but the central plot/idea/theme/mystery/conspiracy/whatever-the-fuck is just terrible. It's like he came up with several ideas that he liked but couldn't be arsed tying them all together in a proper story.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The hammer bit's good.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
It's like he came up with several ideas that he liked but couldn't be arsed tying them all together in a proper story.

Pretty much my thoughts on this.

It was nice seeing Tyres from Spaced again, though.

• Paid Members
It wasn't the least predictable film and ticks all the boxes of a thriller about a guy chasing his goal while people are after him but it's better than I expected and I probably expected to like it more than anyone else would.

I'll give it a miss then.

I'm sure you wouldn't love it but it does have a really 70s cat and mouse thriller feel to it and it's easy to imagine it as a Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen vehicle, especially with the funky soundtrack so you may enjoy it more than you think.

• Paid Members

I watched Lockout last night because I was in the mood for an action movie and Woyzeck but it in his top films list. It was very average and completely forgettable. The opening credits sequence was pretty cool though. Guy Pearce does his best to be a witty badass hero but kind of comes across as a twat. The villains in it were hilarious (not on purpose), they were Scottish, covered in scars and scowled a lot. I'm guessing that the only reason Woyzeck put it in his top films list is because he's obsessed with Maggie Grace.

Also, Maggie Grace is a completely useless actress.

• Paid Members
I watched Sightseers last night. Loads better than Kill List.

Actually really want to see Sightseers. Is it any use?

Kill List's ending was very Hot Fuzz. Couldn't take it seriously at all...

Missus is in hospital about to have a section, so we both watched Kingpin yesterday on the ol portable. Criminally underrated movie and although not a big fan of the Farrelly Brothers on a whole, Kingpin is my fave movie of theirs by a fair stretch.

Don't like being on my own or sleeping on my own or watching anything remotely serious when there's no-one around, so I'm sleeping on the sofa with Friends Season 6 on repeat over and over again to placate me.

Good times...

Sightseers actually has some Hot Fuzz folks involved (maybe Kill List did too?). It's a weird little dark comedy that isn't a million miles from Hot Fuzz. The Brummie accents are perfect for the characters and story. The mix of murders with the World's Dullest Voices and the banality of their madness really worked for me. There were a few things I thought misfired, but I liked it a lot on the whole.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Awards Moderator

I'm just watching The Amazing Spider-Man on Sky at the moment. I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than the Tobey Maguire ones, but I think it just peaked (I'm about halfway in).

Rhys Ifans' character's colleague is played by the guy who played the adult Pi in Life Of Pi. They just had a conversation about Peter Parker's father. Whose name is Richard.

RICHARD PARKER.

What are the chances of him being in two major films, released within six months of each other, where he gets to repeatedly use the name 'Richard Parker'? Marvellous.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I'm sure you wouldn't love it but it does have a really 70s cat and mouse thriller feel to it and it's easy to imagine it as a Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen vehicle, especially with the funky soundtrack so you may enjoy it more than you think.

So why'd they cast Nicholas Cage? If they wanted zany and eccentric for the role I'm pretty sure Paulie Shore is looking for work.

Also, Maggie Grace is a completely useless actress.

She's this worst actress I can think of that gets major roles

You both shut up right now.

Edited by Steve Justice

Tucker & Dale Versus Evil. Went into this film knowing I'd have to take it with a pinch of salt, and that I may switch it off after my '20 minutes to get me interested or I'm switching it off' rule. It started very average, got very funny and then went back to average. But at least it wasn't bad. And a nice take/twist on the comedy/horror genre.

Anyone else share a fondness for Alan Tudyk also?

• Paid Members

So why'd they cast Nicholas Cage? If they wanted zany and eccentric for the role I'm pretty sure Paulie Shore is looking for work.

It's the storyline that has that 70s feel for me, not his performance, anyway he plays it relatively straight, not totally, he does a bit of his pointing and staring schtick but he's not a clown and he's great in serious thrillers like Red Rock West, Snake Eyes and 8mm anyway, just because he's made a few odd choices the past few years doesn't mean he's not an oscar winning actor with loads of great roles under his belt.