DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Your assessment of Super Meat Boy is still just factually wrong though. It's substantially better than the original flash game.

Oh I won't argue it's much better than the original flash game, but I'm still not a huge fan of it.

• Paid Members

The Place Beyond the Pines : I'm still reeling after it, in the best possible way. An amazing movie! I'm not Bradley Cooper's biggest fan, but he won me over here and dare I say, very nearly stole this movie from Gosling (who is probably, in my opinion, the most charismatic person on Earth at present). In many ways, it is a spiritual successor to Drive and the Driver/Luke characters are very similar in many ways, but he makes it work and feel progressive rather than repetitive. Easily my fave flick of 2013, and the fact it is scored by my idol, Sir Mike Patton, just makes it a pubic hair close to perfection.

And I fully agree with Gladders. Doubt is fucking septic!

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Good lad! It's absolute nonsense. A better director and no Meryl Streep might have made it into something really good. But it was shit. Still, Amy Adams in habits is always a bonus.

• Paid Members

Good lad! It's absolute nonsense. A better director and no Meryl Streep might have made it into something really good. But it was shit. Still, Amy Adams in habits is always a bonus.

It's controversial, but am I the only person who thinks Philip Seymour Hoffman is overrated? He was good in the Big Lebowski and I enjoyed him in Mission Impossible 3, but his range seems to start at snivelling weasel type and finish at confident weasel type.

Amy Adams...til it fell off and she is also far too ridculously attractive to play Janis Joplin.

• Paid Members

He wasn't great in this - he seemed on the verge of crying almost the entire way through. Viola Davis out-acted them all.

Janis Joplin? She's going to have to uglify a fair amount to pull that role off.

• Paid Members

It's controversial, but am I the only person who thinks Philip Seymour Hoffman is overrated? He was good in the Big Lebowski and I enjoyed him in Mission Impossible 3, but his range seems to start at snivelling weasel type and finish at confident weasel type.

There's something very unlikeable about him (Apart from in Almost Famous where he plays a weasel type who is tolerable) which isn't great in anything where he is playing the lead. Also if you believe the stories Vic Armstrong had about him in his book hes a bit of a primma donna shitbag

I watched The Fighter yesterday, and the scene with Amy Adams in the black see-through underwear kneeling up on the bed had me as hard as a diamond-tiiped drill.

Good film as well, incidentally. It's no Raging Bull, and the direction was no great shakes, but a fantastic cast and committed performances. Melissa Leo stole the show though - she's just fabulous in everything I've seen her in. She won an Oscar for it, right? Well deserved.

• Paid Members

Watched Thunderbird 6 yesterday.

I was a huge fan of Thunderbirds as child and lately I've been rekindling my love. Dyllan didn't really get it at first, but as I've gone through the series' he's got more and more into it. I wish he could experience what I saw in Thunderbirds as a kid, the longing for a Tracy Island that I never got could be spared though. I've dug out my Thunderbird 2 for him but I'm a bit protective.

Anyway, onto the film.

For a 60's marionette film it has aged quite well. The story is still exciting with a hint of sillyness holding it's charm throughout. If you're after a trip down memory lane I can highly recommend this film.

...And all the Thunderbird shows and the other film (Thunderbirds are go) let's just forget about the 2004 one.

• Paid Members

Like this:-

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=131297

In UKFF tradition, I expect you to use it once, Baz, and then never use it again. Unless you're Ultimo or smp. Just followed you, anyway.

Loki, is it you who recommended The Yakuza a while back? Great film, that. Time for a Robert Mitchum thread, I think. What an actor.

• Paid Members

I've been using it!

Continuing on my Netflix documentary theme, I watched The Dungeon Masters last night. It claimed to be about three different D&D gamers, so I thought maybe it'd give a balanced look at the culture. Nope. It involved a fat old bloke who made a shitty TV show and wrote a shitty book and failed at both, a woman who blacked up, and another fat old bloke who was a bit of a cunt. It showed only the negative aspects of the culture - like they found all the freaks and put them together. It also wasn't interesting enough as a gamer to watch, and definitely wouldn't interest a non-gamer, so I don't really see the point of it.

That said, it did have two bits from the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Community episode - which shows where Community got some of their jokes from - Chang blacked up as a Drow was like the woman, and there was a character called Ducaine, who is Fat Neil's character in Community.

Like this:-

http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=131297

In UKFF tradition, I expect you to use it once, Baz, and then never use it again. Unless you're Ultimo or smp. Just followed you, anyway.

Loki, is it you who recommended The Yakuza a while back? Great film, that. Time for a Robert Mitchum thread, I think. What an actor.

It was, I've been pimping it to anyone who'll listen. Mitchum might well be my favourite actor or all time. Have you seen The Enemy Below? Mitchum and Curt Jurgens in a cat and mouse battle, one commanding a destroyer and the other a submarine. Awesome film.

Plus Cape Fear of course.

• Paid Members

Took my wee lad to GI Joe last night. Wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and was actually enjoyable. The action set piece atop and around the mountain involving Snake Eyes is magnificently done, but I was a bit miffed when

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

they offed Duke(Tatum) within ten minutes of the flick

[close spoiler]

");document.close();.
Edited by Scott Malbranque