Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

My poor missus had to put up with me kicking off over the whole debacle when I walked in the door last night after it. The poor woman. She was only about to get into bed and had to deal with a 39 year old man calling a man he's never met, a cunt, a fraud, and a charlatan.

She knew I was going to see a screening of the sequel to the movie where, as she said " you turned into a fuckin' thick and started shaking in your seat as you shook my head from side to side wrecking my fringe?" so she knew the importance of it to me, and you know what she said to me last night? "Aw, my poor bumblebee? Did you at least enjoy the nachos?". My heart was broke after the movie, and that sentence emasculated me. Chopped my mickey clean off. But she meant well.

I'm sure the flick will be very divisive and some people will find it a beautiful movie with the only resolution it could have had (as my mate did), but that's bollocks. There was no need for what he did. It was disrespectful and after me defending that man and his movies for years...YEARS...he can shove his long takes and spinning camera's up his bollocks. And Philadelphia can fuck off and all.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Shame. I rewatched Split in readiness last night and it's loads of fun so I'm hoping Branque is all Last Jedi about Glass?... Probably not though. 

Oh, don't you know it? To be fair to him though, it was actually quite a funny scene, but I can't look back on anything in that movie with anything other than contempt at the moment.

I'm genuinely hoping that his big twist is that the screenings were just a wind up and the proper release will be better. That's all I have to cling to at the moment.

I saw it last night and...I thought it was quite good. Its going to polarise (I'm above the pun!) a lot of the audience and I understand that BUT Samuel L Jackson is bloody class in it and its got some really great moments.

Its different and it skewers 'comic book movie' tropes. I think it might be a film that benefits watching it again when you know what's going to happen.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I saw it last night and...I thought it was quite good. Its going to polarise (I'm above the pun!) a lot of the audience and I understand that BUT Samuel L Jackson is bloody class in it and its got some really great moments.

Absolutely, it had great moments. I had serious goosebumps as they touched on Dunn/Joseph in a Batman/Oracle relationship, and for the opening hour, I was so happy. So, so happy to be where I was. Then it went into the third act and I felt like I'd just watched Shyamalan shite himself in white linen. The Sarah Paulson reveal was the beginning of the end for me.

I will say that everyone played their parts brilliantly. Jackson, Willis and especially McAvoy were everything they should have been, and not unlike our Loki there, I think...thought...thunk Shyamalan to be a genius and wonderful storyteller, but - excuse my bitter crudeness - he left me feeling gaped after that last final hour/hurdle.

I had a feeling there wouldn't be the huge fight that Elijah kept banging on about, but for Shyamalan to keep teasing it and then to just kill everyone off the way he did, in the manner that did, was appalling and has ruined one of my favourite movies of all time in Unbreakable for me.

I'm not even over exaggerating when I say that. I hold Unbreakable in the same manner that I imagine some people hold Star Wars.
How Blumhouse didn't put the brakes on that ending and make him reconsider is beyond me.

Apologies for moving away from the Glass discussion although Branquey might like it that way, I've been ploughing through some Ghibli films I'd never seen (still got a few to go) this week.

I think Ponyo is the best of them but, typically, there are no weak films in The Cat Returns or Only Yesterday or Arrietty. They're always showing Ghibli films at The Light in Stockport but they're always evening showings so I can't get to them.

That's one area I'm looking to get more into this year, watched My Neighbour Totoro for the first time a few months ago when Film4 had a whole season of Ghibli films and loved it, the problem is the DVDs and Blurays can be pricey, even on second hand markets

Back when Play.com existed, they occasionally had sales on Ghibli movies at 3 for £15 and I managed to grab most of them up to Ponyo. I had a look at what ones I’ve missed since then and they’re all still going for over a tenner on eBay so I reckon I don’t care so much about owning them all when I can stream them for nowt.

I'd recommend the Ghibliotheque podcast. The gimmick is that one of the hosts has seen every Ghibli film, the other has basically seen none of them, and they discuss a different film every episode, so you get a bit on the history and making of, and then a chat about how it fits into Ghibli's oeuvre, and what they thought of it. Usually some fun tidbits in there.

I need to rewatch Ponyo; I wasn't overly sold on it first time around, but Ghibliotheque (mostly) raved about it, and the book Miyazakiworld discusses it as one of the greats, so it's probably due a second viewing.

I didn't think much of Arrietty - it was the first Ghibli movie I saw in the cinema, and recently rewatched it, and it's nice but doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere. I don't mind my Ghibli films being relaxed and meandering, but it lacks the kind of set-pieces and imagination that would normally make up for that.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'd recommend the Ghibliotheque podcast. The gimmick is that one of the hosts has seen every Ghibli film, the other has basically seen none of them

Anime me Marc! Anime me Peter! 

Went to see Stan and Ollie last night. A wonderful little film that had nearly reduced me to pissing tears in the final section (in a nice way). Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly are both fantastic in this. Thoroughly recommended.