DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Got round to watching Lords of Chaos today. I really enjoyed it, and it’s accessible enough for people who are not completely familiar with the Black Metal scene. As @SuperBacon mentioned in their post a couple of days, it is very graphic in places, and even I was wincing at parts of the violence, which is a rarity for me. I put that down mainly to knowing that it is based on true events rather than being completely fiction.

And as @Merzbow mentioned, it doesn’t glamourise anybody in the slightest, and in fact shows them being a set of complete idiots at times. There’s a scene of Varg Vikernes meeting with someone from the press, and he quickly exposes himself as being a right dolt. 

Theres a whole bunch of other stuff they could have had in, such as the controversy around the release of Mayhem’s first album  and Hellhammer proving himself to be a complete cretin, but that could just as easy be a ‘What Happened Next’ extra on the DVD, and at 1hr57 it tells the story that needs to be told.

Rory Culkin is very good as Euronymous, and Emory Cohen’s Varg is good for the most-part, but does have a laugh similar to The Joker from the 60s Batman.

Well worth a watch, even if a little grim in places

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Free Solo is repeated on National Geographic a few times this week. I am recording it tomorrow

I realise no-one actually cares when I am recording it, I meant it as an example of when it's on. I hit send and immediately thought that sounded douchy.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator

Had a Nixon trilogy of films I'd never seen over the past week.

Started with The Post, which has Tom Hanks on Maximum Hanks. Spielberg rattles through this tense period of journalistic integrity, with some surprisingly pleasing shots of presses spitting out newspapers. 

I couldn't quite remember the plot of the film before we started watching that (Spielberg + Hanks is enough for me), and realised we didn't know much about Tricky Dicky beyond Futurama. We couldn't adequately explain why Watergate was so bad off the top of our heads. So Mrs Onyx and I decided to watch more Nixon-flavoured films. We contemplated the Hopkins Nixon but reviews said it was quite boring and didn't explain much. So we set off into Oscar-winning All The President's Men. Redford, Hoffman, fucking great.

Except it was so boring. Just endless shots of men on the phone, with little help to explain why this particular phone call was so important. I gave up with it after an hour, completely unsure what was going on. I feel bad - I have no problem with glacially-slow plots, and adore Robert Redford - but it just plodded from scene to scene without a strong narrative. 

On to Frost/Nixon and this is fucking terrific. Creates brilliant tension over a silly interview, and he's been absent from films for so long I'd forgotten just how amazingly charismatic Michael Sheen is. A compelling presence, and Frank Langella makes the incredible feat of creating sympathy for Nixon by the end. 

Any other Nixony films worth a spin? I'm eyeing up Neeson vehicle Mark Felt next. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So we set off into Oscar-winning All The President's Men. Redford, Hoffman, fucking great.

Except it was so boring. Just endless shots of men on the phone, with little help to explain why this particular phone call was so important. I gave up with it after an hour, completely unsure what was going on. I feel bad - I have no problem with glacially-slow plots, and adore Robert Redford - but it just plodded from scene to scene without a strong narrative.

This is the worst thing ever posted on this forum.

220px-Blood_Rage_FilmPoster.jpeg

"A man goes on a killing spree after learning that his twin brother (who he framed for murder years earlier when they were kids) has escaped from the mental hospital and is heading home to set confront him and set things right."

"It isn't cranberry sauce"

An interesting premise with pretty gory effects. It's a film of its time and you know what you're going to be getting with the acting with a film of this nature. But of course you can look past that and enjoy it for what it is. I do love the idea of a demented kid killing someone and then pinning the whole thing on his twin brother who just happened to be there at the time. A good time is sure to be had and is something to sit back and enjoy.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, zep81 said:

220px-Blood_Rage_FilmPoster.jpeg

Love this movie. The Arrow Blu-ray is superb. Slasher movies make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Watched The Warriors last night. First time I'd seen the Theatrical cut since I was about 12. Still holds up. Walter Hill is ace.

(Well he would be if he weren't responsible for the directors cut)

For those like me that didn't get the TC before the DVD went out of print 15 years ago, it's on Amazon Prime Instant.

Lords Of Chaos.

Hilarious in places.  As someone who is about the same age as the main players in the Norwegian black metal scene, I remember it all as it happened.  It reminded me what a bunch of fucking dweebs and blowhards black metal attracts.  You just know they'd be Incels if they were about today.  444 burnt churches out of 666

• Paid Members

Border is a treat. Absolutely mental, in parts, but an interesting watch all the same. It's uncomfortable to watch in a number of scenes.

The supposed twist was pretty obvious, I thought. Given that I read the twist is a surprising one, I thought they were just being super obvious with her man, but nope there he is trying to ruin perfectly good babies.

Also, that sex scene is brilliantly bad.

MV5BMTg2NzI4NjY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUx

So, the movie does what it says on the tin. Well poster. Hitler is killed and so is Bigfoot. But when you name a movie like that, a normal rule would be one to expect something a bit more outlandish or cult like than what we actually get. You could take both Hitler and Bigfoot out of the equation and the movie wouldn't lose much. Sam Elliott is p.good in the lead role but the movie is a rather plodding melodrama and I struggled to keep interest. Shame. Others may feel different, but I was just disappointed.

Captain Marvel was a big letdown for me. I've really liked the Marvel films from the last couple of years and had huge expectations for this, and it was just alright. Plot was convoluted, and I wasn't impressed by Brie Larsson or Jude Law. Or Benning. Samuel L Jackson was alright. Lee Pace was a letdown as well. The equivalents of Korg and Baby Groot were the highlight, so I'd recommend it for them if nothing else.

• Paid Members
On 3/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, ColinBollocks said:

Border is a treat. Absolutely mental, in parts, but an interesting watch all the same. It's uncomfortable to watch in a number of scenes.

Reveal hidden contents

The supposed twist was pretty obvious, I thought. Given that I read the twist is a surprising one, I thought they were just being super obvious with her man, but nope there he is trying to ruin perfectly good babies.

Also, that sex scene is brilliantly bad.

I'm going to see this on Thursday, as long as they don't cancel it again. Going to double-bill it with The Kindergarten Teacher. Very excited, like the massive arthouse film ponce I am.