Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Me and my best mate watch PTaA every Christmas. It's the perfect blend of  comedy & road movie with a  healthy dose of sadness thrown in for good measure.  Cracking soundtrack too, I have the "you're messing with the wrong guy" mix on one of my Spotify playlists and love when in comes on randomly, especially if I'm commuting or in a rush somewhere.

Candy and Martin are at their absolute best in it. Also, despite watching the film annually for about a decade now, only realised that the cop who pulls the lads over when they're driving the remains of the rental car is a very young Chuck from Better Call Saul.

Edited by DCW

32 minutes ago, DCW said:

Also, despite watching the film annually for about a decade now, only realised that the cop who pulls the lads over when they're driving the remains of the rental car is a very young Chuck from Better Call Saul.

Almost everything I've seen Michael McKean in, he's played either a heel, a wanker, or a shady character. This Is Spinal Tap, The Brady Bunch Movie, Short Circuit 2, Better Call Saul, Airheads, Coneheads, and Star Trek: Voyager. I guess he does look rather heelish with that almost Joker-like grin of his.

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Almost everything I've seen Michael McKean in, he's played either a heel, a wanker, or a shady character. This Is Spinal Tap, The Brady Bunch Movie, Short Circuit 2, Better Call Saul, Airheads, Coneheads, and Star Trek: Voyager. I guess he does look rather heelish with that almost Joker-like grin of his.

I rewatched Clue last night (stop judging me) and it's a rare case of him playing a straight laced nerd character

Clue, and Michael McKean are great.  He plays a nice guy in Best In Show, one of the few nice guys in that.  And he is ace in A Mighty Wind, another nice guy.  A Mighty Wind is great.  Wha' Happened? is part of my everyday speech now.

edit - And his turn in Friends was nice, he was the "Mockolate" executive who asked Monica to come up with recipes.

Edited by Keith Houchen
I can't do my weeeerrrkkk

41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Clue, and Michael McKean are great.  He plays a nice guy in Best In Show, one of the few nice guys in that.  And he is ace in A Mighty Wind, another nice guy.  A Mighty Wind is great.  Wha' Happened? is part of my everyday speech now.

edit - And his turn in Friends was nice, he was the "Mockolate" executive who asked Monica to come up with recipes.

Eat at ‚ÄėOe‚Äôs. Man I need to watch that one again. I used to watch Best In Show a lot. Still haven‚Äôt seen For Your Consideration¬†

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

Still haven’t seen For Your Consideration

It didn't go sown as well as the others but I loved it.  Catherine O'Hara is the standout but they're all superb.

57 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Upvote for Wha' happened being a regular reference for you as well.  That whole speech is a comedy masterclass, "I got a weal wed wagon" . Fred Willard rules, one of his peers once said he'd been in character for 30 years.

Glass

I think I would have preferred a straight up Unbreakable sequel without The Beast.  I still love that Mr Glass premise of comics being historical documents but there's just something missing...

Massive missing spoiler

There's no real payoff, especially with Beast and Bruce.  The point is that there's no payoff (for shadowy nefarious reasons), but that doesn't make your balls any less blue.

There may be a mid or post credits sequence, but the credits were quite pony (name dropping Unbreakable  and Split in case you didn't know) and it was late so we didn't hang around.

Ok, but not essential viewing.

McKean as Chuck is a stunning performance. That character is so layered. Its amazing that him and Odenkirk, two comedy performers, managed to create such brilliantly dramatic and deep characters.

Instant Family

Aided by monumentally low expectations that come from seeing a heartwarming comedy starring Marky Mark, I found myself welling up at points.  It lays the schmaltz on thick with a heavy gauge trowel, but I lapped it up.  One of those that if you're in the mood for doe eyes and warm hugs it will hit the spot.

Watched T2: Trainspotting at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. It was very much Spud's movie.I  liked the parallels and callbacks to the first movie. Soundtrack is pretty nice as well.

I thought Stan & Ollie was a lovely little film. Coogan and Riley were both brilliant in it. Wouldn't go as far as saying it's award worthy but I liked it. Not too long either which was a bonus.

Red Scorpion

One of those films that i just enjoy. It's not Shakespeare and it doesn't need to be, it is exactly what it needs to be and I used to class stuff like this as 'guilty pleasures', but now they're not as I don't feel guilty. I enjoy them. End of.

Edited by zep81

I've watched 2 anthology horrors from the 80s/90s the past 2 nights. First Body Bags, next Cats Eye. Both very good, my kind of films, light hearted and enjoyable 90s horror films. On the back of this I'm currently watching the Tales From the Darkside film, which so far I'm not getting into as much.

Anyone else like this kind of stuff, and got any recommendations?