DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It popped up on my social media feed, but it probably was them. As I said, I thought she did a great job, so based on that I see no reason why they would want to replace her. So are you saying this just another troll attempt?

It's been a weird targeted campaign because they tried to pitch the film as a strong female character, headed by a strong, vocal female actor, which morphed into Marvel trying to be 'SJW' and people trying to review bomb the film before release on Rotten Tomatoes, i'm assuming for being pro woman. When the website removed the negative feedback it was portrayed as Disney censoring opinions (despite RT being part owned by Fox)  For clarity 60,000 reviews were left for Captain Marvel in less than 12 hours, compared to 53,000 for the entire run of Infinity War. I doubt she's being replaced because it's making silly money for a character most people have never heard of and she's doing random press stuff like turning up at film screenings in a Captain Marvel hoodie and handing out snacks

In summary, a group of very fragile people on the internet have spent a lot of time trying to derail a hollywood movie and spread false rumours because the main character has boobs.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, chokeout said:

It's been a weird targeted campaign because they tried to pitch the film as a strong female character, headed by a strong, vocal female actor, which morphed into Marvel trying to be 'SJW' and people trying to review bomb the film before release on Rotten Tomatoes, i'm assuming for being pro woman. When the website removed the negative feedback it was portrayed as Disney censoring opinions (despite RT being part owned by Fox)  For clarity 60,000 reviews were left for Captain Marvel in less than 12 hours, compared to 53,000 for the entire run of Infinity War. I doubt she's being replaced because it's making silly money for a character most people have never heard of and she's doing random press stuff like turning up at film screenings in a Captain Marvel hoodie and handing out snacks

In summary, a group of very fragile people on the internet have spent a lot of time trying to derail a hollywood movie and spread false rumours because the main character has boobs.

See that I have not seen or heard anything about, and is what people should be talking about.

I am obviously oblivious to the campaign because I got none of this SJW vibe about the whole thing. I didn't notice that much difference to how Wonder Woman was being marketed which semed to avoid this flake, despite having a strong female character, though I remember a lot of flak about Gal Gadot and her serving time in the Isreal army. All I can say is Captain Marvel was a better film then Wonder Woman and I cannot wait for my daughter to be old enough to enjoy Marvel films. Captain Marvel and Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse will be the first two she sees.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

See that I have not seen or heard anything about, and is what people should be talking about.

It's been all over social media. You might want to take a look at where you're finding your news from.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

It's been all over social media. You might want to take a look at where you're finding your news from.

To be fair, I have been avoiding as many posts about Captain Marvel from last week until this morning as I was trying to avoid spoilers

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I didn't notice that much difference to how Wonder Woman was being marketed which semed to avoid this flake, despite having a strong female character, though I remember a lot of flak about Gal Gadot and her serving time in the Isreal army.

Only from anti-semites. Larson dodged that bullet by breaking up with her Jewish boyfriend earlier this year.

• Paid Members

I’ve learned today how toxic Twitter is towards famous women. God knows how I’ve missed all this. Someone today said Captain Marvel was portrayed in the film as a Mary Sue. I’m not even bothering to google that

10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ve learned today how toxic Twitter is towards famous women. God knows how I’ve missed all this. Someone today said Captain Marvel was portrayed in the film as a Mary Sue. I’m not even bothering to google that

2019 is abysmal. In this thread alone I have had to look up the terms "Mary Sue" and "SJW". Laughable attempts to denigrate Larson. The "Mary Sue" thing clearly isn't even true anyway, as the audience are routinely told throughout the film that her reckless behaviour and emotional temperament are her biggest stumbling block. The misogynists would have the film end there, no doubt.

• Paid Members

Triple Frontier is every bit as enjoyable as I expected it to be. J.C. Chandor continues to be 100% and I hope this gets a sequel, the positive reviews should sway Netflix, hopefully.

Fun!

Last_Flag_Flying.png

The performances make this worth watching, Cranston, especially, cutting loose as a roguish instigator. You forget he was Walter White. The others are great too - Carell is brilliant as the damaged vet in crisis, having lost his son to a war he now sees as pointless. Fishburne steadies the ship as the man of faith gradually accepting his past. It's not Linklater's finest moment, but it does its job perfectly well as a sequel of sorts to The Last Detail. The ending packs a punch. It's worth watching just for the three leads being brilliant, even if the story is slight and the dialogue could have been tweaked. 

220px-The_Dinner_(2017_film).jpg

This I had mixed feelings about; it's too long and I can't take Coogan seriously as I always imagine him doing the Partridge voice no matter what lines he's spouting, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't hold my attention throughout. It's a bunch of rich cunts having a ridiculous meal and eventually talking about the terrible crime committed by their offspring, which is revealed in flashbacks. It's very much an in yer face "look how dreadful rich people are!" kind of film, with nowt much else to say beyond that, but nonetheless kind of entertaining despite itself. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
On 3/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, ColinBollocks said:

Border is a treat. Absolutely mental, in parts, but an interesting watch all the same. It's uncomfortable to watch in a number of scenes.

Reveal hidden contents

The supposed twist was pretty obvious, I thought. Given that I read the twist is a surprising one, I thought they were just being super obvious with her man, but nope there he is trying to ruin perfectly good babies.

Also, that sex scene is brilliantly bad.

Absolutely loved it. Genuinely unlike anything I've ever seen. I wish more films played with genre expectations like this.

Also saw The Kindergarten Teacher. Another one to add to Maggie Gyllenhaal's CV of amazing performances. Nails the ending and pretty much everything else too.

With regards to all the woman-hate that’s come with Captain Marvel, was there similar stuff with any of the other Marvel films? seen as Scarlett Johansson is a featured character in Avengers, Zoe Saldana is one of the main characters in Guardians of the Galaxy. Or is it just because this one has a female lead? And we can’t be having that now.

Or is it just part of a wider toxic problem of basement dwellers can’t enjoy anything unless it’s done the way they imagine things to be in their head

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

It's definitely more prevalent that shite when they do the occasional female-led superhero film because a woman is the one that shines throughout. GOTG and Avengers are such male-heavy casts, so it seems to cancel their bile. I assume most just see a female lead and decide it's some evil anti-male feminist campaign.

It makes it all the more delightful when the likes of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel do so well at the box office because it effectively shows how impotent those unfuckable white dudes are.