Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Watched Hearts Beat Loud (2018) the other night with Kiersey Clemons and Nick Offerman. What a lovely wee film. I'd had a particularly crap day and this really lifted my spirits. It's about a father and daughter who start a band together essentially and watching it just made me feel really fucking happy.

Highly recommended.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7158430/

Mission Impossible Fallout.  Unquestionably brilliant  One of the best action movies I've seen since the last Mission Impossible film.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:51 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I couldn't get past his name, never heard of him until that Lone Ranger debacle and assumed he was some wacky American comedian who liked toothpaste and baking soda.

He actually is called Armand Hammer and he is the heir to the baking/soda toothpaste company fortune. Another working class kid managing to get his foot in the door in Hollywood despite all his disadvantages.

2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Mission Impossible Fallout.  Unquestionably brilliant  One of the best action movies I've seen since the last Mission Impossible film.

Ha, just rerewatched this myself tonight. Brilliant and dangerous in ways that action films are just meant to be anymore.

4 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

He actually is called Armand Hammer and he is the heir to the baking/soda toothpaste company fortune

Just checked this because it sounded too good to be true and alas, it sort of is.  His grandfather of the same name tried to buy the company that owned Arm and Hammer after years of being asked if he was the man behind them but wasn't successful.  His company did purchase enough stock to get gramps a seat on the board of directors though.

The Old Man and the Gun is delightful. Great note for Robert Redford to retire on, a lovely little crime flick, and Tom Waits is ace yet again.

You Were Never Really Here - Incredibly unsettling and violent without seeing much violence and Joaquin Phoenix is excellent.  Lynne Ramsay is such a brilliant filmmaker, she creates worlds that make you feel unclean.   Imagine what she could do with a Bond film?

It's still my film of the year. Greenwood's scores for the film and/or Phantom Thread deserve all the awards. I haven't watched the film back because I found it to be so upsetting at the cinema.

Anyway, I watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse yesterday. To reduce it, it's basically a less funny version of Lego Batman with more serious and less gags. It's good fun, though. Getting it right with the balance of frivolous and serious so both can find space without hampering the story. I'm sure you dorks that read the comics will get more out of it than us super shaggers.

Edited by ColinBollocks
Shagging at the time.

Dumplin

Wasn’t expecting much from this but it was very good. Jennifer Aniston is an ex beauty pageant queen who is still very involved in the scene and her daughter Willowdean is not the beauty pageant type, who is obsessed with Dolly Parton, something she inherited from her aunt, who she was very close to.

That sounds pretty shit, but it’s a very good film, pretty concise, doesn’t outstay it’s welcome and the performances of Aniston (best since A Good Girl probably), Danielle MacDonald, who follows up a great turn in Patticakes with this, and Odeya Rush...good god...Odeya Rush, are excellent. 

It gets a bit schmaltzy, but really enjoyed that. Oh, and good cameo from Harold Perrineau too.