DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

How can you not cry when Steve Martin finds out, you know what. I get tears when I know it's coming. After that, it's that little girl singing "Everytime you go away.." during the credits. Streaming down.

I get that, totally. But people talk about it being one of the all time funniest films and it's not. It's decent John Hughes fare. Breakfast Club as a whole still holds up much better

No it does not. Breakfast Club survives on nostalgia alone. PTaA has great laughs that survive the test of time and John Candy at his loveable best. Not to mention Steve Martin doing his best serious man. You want badly aged comedy go watch The Jerk. PTaA has two of the comedy greats at their best. 

• Moderators

If you want to see how timelessly brilliant Planes Trains and Automobiles is you could also watch the godawful remake of it that is 'Due Date'. But don't, because it's dogshit. But do, because you deserve to watch a terrible film after slagging Planes Trains and Automobiles, and you need to learn a lesson in why it is so great.

Edit: I think Devon needs to do a 'my best film' thread for Steve Martin.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Man With Two Brains never fails to make me laugh. Steve Martin really went on a hot streak in the late 70s and 80s film wise. God knows what happened.

I guess this is going to put me among the Philistines, but I found Bowfinger genuinely hilarious, and that was in 1999, way past Martin's and Murphy's primes.

Oh I agree, I like Bowfinger, but by then as you say he had gone past his prime and he started to make shite. But before that everyone of his films is a little joy. Bowfinger was definitely his last good film, he then went onto making those Pink Panther movies which must have just been because he needed to buy some more banjos.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

If you want to see how timelessly brilliant Planes Trains and Automobiles is you could also watch the godawful remake of it that is 'Due Date'. But don't, because it's dogshit. But do, because you deserve to watch a terrible film after slagging Planes Trains and Automobiles, and you need to learn a lesson in why it is so great.

Edit: I think Devon needs to do a 'my best film' thread for Steve Martin.

I remember being hyped for Due Date and yet can barely remember anything at all which speaks volumes.

Add me as another Bowfinger fan. I think it was both Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy's last funny film. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Genuinely had a pain that travelled down into my Baxters in the cinema when this scene hit.

Thought I was going to drop a third bollock at 2:19:

Same! I saw this at the cinema on one of the first dates with my now wife. I made myself look a complete moron by howling uncontrollably in a packed screening.

Me and my best mate watch PTaA every Christmas. It's the perfect blend of  comedy & road movie with a  healthy dose of sadness thrown in for good measure.  Cracking soundtrack too, I have the "you're messing with the wrong guy" mix on one of my Spotify playlists and love when in comes on randomly, especially if I'm commuting or in a rush somewhere.

Candy and Martin are at their absolute best in it. Also, despite watching the film annually for about a decade now, only realised that the cop who pulls the lads over when they're driving the remains of the rental car is a very young Chuck from Better Call Saul.

Edited by DCW

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, DCW said:

Also, despite watching the film annually for about a decade now, only realised that the cop who pulls the lads over when they're driving the remains of the rental car is a very young Chuck from Better Call Saul.

Almost everything I've seen Michael McKean in, he's played either a heel, a wanker, or a shady character. This Is Spinal TapThe Brady Bunch MovieShort Circuit 2Better Call SaulAirheadsConeheads, and Star Trek: Voyager. I guess he does look rather heelish with that almost Joker-like grin of his.