DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Re-watched Robocop 2 last night.

To be honest, for the first 2/3 it's a pretty good sequel - some nice satire, some ultra violence, although Kershner is nowhere near the director Verhoeven is.  But the last third is a really awful stop-motion sequence that goes on way too long.

One nice thing I spotted - Bobby Ashley's hype man Lio Rush is channeling the fictional Mayor of Detroit Marvin Kuzack.   

Bohemian Rhapsody

Didn't mind it. Got a bit sick of the overly cheesey "that's a cool riff, let's see where it goes" then cue montage of them practicing the track in the studio which then seamlessly transitions into them performing it on some big stage. Repeat about 10 times.

I did enjoy it though. Rami was brilliant as Freddie. Although loses a star for not including either "Fat Bottomed Girls" or "Bicycle Race".

EDIT: According to my girlfriend, they did play "Fat Bottomed Girls" in it but I must have missed it. I fell asleep briefly at one point due to how gripping the movie was so it must have been then.

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

I re-watched the Tintin movie last night, having just finished reading a biography of Hergé that had got on my tits a bit. 

It's bloody lovely, isn't it? I love how they manage to make it feel like a big cinematic romp, without losing the quite twee overall tone of the source material, and they did a brilliant job of taking the essence of one story and adapting it to film, with moments from and nods to plenty of other Tintin stories, with all the characters really feeling like themselves. It deviates from the source material in all the right ways, and rarely gets it wrong.

Only thing that annoyed me, and I'm amazed I never picked up on this before, is when Tintin's buying the model of the Unicorn at the market right at the beginning, the vendor says it's "only two quid", and Tintin offers him a pound. You're in Belgium, you fucks! Just seemed an odd stylistic choice for an American-directed, Europe-set film to settle on British currency - unless that line is different in the American release?

• Paid Members

Saw How To Train Your Dragon 3 yesterday. My wife and daughter had good things to say, so paid for the 4DX 3D upcharge and was well worth it. Beautiful story, stunning visuals. An almost perfect trilogy really. 

I followed it up with Glass, which I actually thought was a pretty great sequel after all. I get why some have hated on it, but I thought they did a real decent job.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I re-watched the Tintin movie last night, having just finished reading a biography of Hergé that had got on my tits a bit. 

I love Tintin and I thought the movie was beautiful, I'm still eagerly awaiting the second one. Only thing I would have done differently is I seem to remember one of the action chase scenes being just a bit too over the top. Also could have been quarter of an hour shorter and 10% simpler but I think that about nearly everything.

What was the Herge biography by the way? Why did it get on your tits?

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

What was the Herge biography by the way? Why did it get on your tits?

It was called "Tintin: Hergé and His Creation", written by Harry Thompson in the early '90s. 

It's fine as a "this happened, then this happened", but it just consistently refuses to tackle anything remotely controversial and hand-waves away any criticism, aside from a couple of pages on Hergé returning to Belgium during the Second World War.

The fact that Hergé wrote for an openly fascist newspaper/magazine in the '30s is excused as something between youthful naivety and the bizarre assertion that a trend towards Catholic fascism is somehow latent in the Belgian national character so he was doing nothing wrong (or else, "everyone else was doing it, so you can't criticise him for it), whereas writing for a Nazi-run newspaper in the '40s is cast as something between pragmatism and an act of bravery on his part for choosing to return to occupied Belgium in the first place. Almost any suggestion of racism in the Tintin books is written off as critics "missing the point", or having an axe to grind against Hergé, anything in the WW2 era books that can be presented as sympathetic to the Nazis/critical of the Allies, or anti-Semitic, is written off as Hergé being too naive to realise that people could read it that way, or (again) of people inventing criticisms, while anything he wrote during the War that could be viewed as anti-authoritarian or critical of the Nazis is held up as incontrovertible evidence that Hergé wasn't a collaborator, and was fighting the good fight.

I'm not suggesting the whole thing should have been, "Was Tintin A Fascist?", but the constant, steadfast refusal to even face up to any criticism was irritating.

That's interesting. It was always told that he was forced to write for the Nazi paper and didn't want to.

Anyway yeah that film is lovely. For me its the last good thing Spielberg has done. I liked parts of Lincoln (mainly for the performance) but god it was boring at times. I really hope they do the second one soon. Its been a while.

• Paid Members

Went to see Green Book and found it interesting, but weird. You definitely need to keep your bullshit meter fully engaged throughout.

It's well made, and Mahershala Ali in particular is fantastic, but it comes across so much as a story about the wrong guy. You have a queer black musician in the 60s, struggling with how he fits into his own ethnic background, on tour in the deep south, climaxing in Birmingham, Alabamaba. And for some reason, it's told through the filter of a white guy.

It has its moments, and it's really quite heartwarming while it's on, but it's also basically a story of how a black man is taught about blackness by an Italian-American racist.

The biggest bullshit meter moment was:

You have a proud, defiant man, who has built his entire tour around finishing at this point, and then he leaves the decision about whether to perform or not to SOMEONE ELSE?

Edited by Chris B
Tags

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

That's interesting. It was always told that he was forced to write for the Nazi paper and didn't want to.

Anyway yeah that film is lovely. For me its the last good thing Spielberg has done. I liked parts of Lincoln (mainly for the performance) but god it was boring at times. I really hope they do the second one soon. Its been a while.

I think the ship has sailed on the sequel. It wasn't a massive hit, especially in the US. Shame as I thought it was excellent, especially in 3D.

I recommend Ready Player One at decent Spielberg. The BFG was a misstep. Still not seen it all the way through

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

It's a grey area - I'd have probably been equally annoyed if the book had entirely gone down the route of "Hergé was a collaborator", as it's far more nuanced than either side of the argument. I live somewhere that was occupied during WW2, and the social history of how ordinary people get by in an occupied state is fascinating to me.

Hergé, though, fled to France when the Nazis invaded, and returned to the country shortly after it was occupied. While living in Belgium, he wrote for a Nazi-run newspaper, and (mostly) toned down the political aspects of his stories. The biography paints that as a pragmatic act, and in many ways it's hard to disagree, but it just glosses over any suggestion that it could be seen as collaborating, or in any way problematic, yet jumps on anything it can define as being anti-Nazi during that period.

The sequel was still being talked about last year, with Peter Jackson attached to direct, but there's not even a script yet.

Ready Player One was fucking dreadful.

Edited by BomberPat

A Quiet Place. Had a good premise but let down by some proper sloppy story telling. 

The whole movie could have been avoided if they just shut the doors to their house. 

also, why were the monsters attracted to the sound of the water filling up the basement but not the waterfall? Why didn’t the dad just cut the speaker out of the rocket in the first place and let the kid keep it? How can the monsters rip through the side of a grain silo but not a pick up truck? Who bright idea was it to have a fucking baby?! 

SOMEONE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT FUCKING NAIL ON THE STAIRS!

I know the ending is supposed to imply that they kill the monsters now knowing their weakness but I like to think that 40 of them turn up at the house, overrun them and kill the whole family. 

Thinking about it, I really didn’t enjoy it.