DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

14 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I hadn't heard of this. As mentioned before, I am all about anything with Jonah Hill's name on it. Is it on any streaming services? Or do I need to download it?

Not out, but on all the usual sites. Chest, you will love the soundtrack. 

Mid90's is an incredibly authentic film. Not just the look and music but the whole feel. Much in the same way you'd think The Elephant Man was from the 40's if nobody told you you wouldn't know this wasn't a companion piece to Kids or something. BOOOOOOOY off of God of War is a cracking little actor, Lucas Hedges too. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

On the subject of "coming of age" movies I watched Skate Kitchen last night. It's a really small feeling movie, all set within this microcosm where it feels like nothing really happens and the hour 45 just flows by in a superbly shot haze. Like Mid90's it feels authentic, the skating is genuine too and not either done by pros or people faking it.

10 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

On the subject of "coming of age" movies I watched Skate Kitchen last night. It's a really small feeling movie, all set within this microcosm where it feels like nothing really happens and the hour 45 just flows by in a superbly shot haze. Like Mid90's it feels authentic, the skating is genuine too and not either done by pros or people faking it.

Yeah, absolutely loved that film as well.

I've watched a shed load of films since the start of the year due to a particularly bad bout of depression. Not much thought went into my selection process, so some of what I have watched is quite frankly inexcusable (Overboard (the remake), The Holiday Calendar, The Other Woman, Valentines Day, A Guy Thing), but I've caught some absolute gems that I had missed:

Birdman I absolutely adored this film, and thought Michael Keaton was mesmerising. The soundtrack was brilliant and like with Whiplash, I can imagine it sounded great in the cinema. Only sour note for me was Edward Norton. I've never got him to be honest, and didn't like him at all in this.

Tumbledown Cracking little film with the always watchable Rebecca Hall and Jason Sudekis about a grieving wife of a famous dead folk singer. Slightly whimsical, but a breeze to get through.

About Time I thought I would hate this, and i've had plenty of opportunities to see it before, but this was an utter joy from start to finish to be honest. Slightly too long, but Rachael McAdams was lovely and Domnhall Gleeson very charming.

Ideal Home This completely bypassed me and I had no idea it had ever been made to be honest, but again, an easy watch. Steve Coogan plays a TV chef, and Paul Rudd his partner, who are left saddled with the grandson that Coogan never knew he had. Coogan is delightfully hammy here, and Paul Rudd with a beard and tattoos has never looked fitter, so this was a winner all round to be honest.

I have also watched Aloha, Fahrenheit 11/9, Source Code, True Story, Bad Grandpa (I love you Zac), Austin Powers 2, Larry Crowne, Caddyshack, Leap Year, Pacific Rim, Last Action Hero and Don't Think Twice in the last 2 weeks and to be honest, none of them are worth watching a second time.

Leap Year is especially funny in its depiction of Ireland and Irish people stopping just short of "Begorrah" and leprechauns.

6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Firstly, fuck you, Last Action Hero is amazing. Secondly Ideal Home sounds exactly like the kind of light rubbish I'd enjoy killing a little time on so thanks for that.

I enjoyed it, but I’m pretty sure it’s the second time I’ve seen it and I won’t be going back for a third. It’s the kid. He’s just so fucking shit.

I love anything meta though. I actually think the movie is quite ahead of its time. 

Yeah, Ideal Home is a lovely little film.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Firstly, fuck you, Last Action Hero is amazing. Secondly Ideal Home sounds exactly like the kind of light rubbish I'd enjoy killing a little time on so thanks for that.

I am with you on that. Last Action Hero is a right little hot mess of a gem. Guilty pleasure.  This was a great read https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/last-action-hero/

12 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Get off the grill, Rashers, that's outrageous!!
Caddyshack!??!?!?

Sorry pal, I think Rodney Dangerfield is absolute garbage. I have never ever laughed at him, and he is at his worst in this. Don’t think it’s aged well at all.

Michael O’Keefe is one of the ugliest actors I’ve ever seen from the 80s as well. Chase was excellent though.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry pal, I think Rodney Dangerfield is absolute garbage. I have never ever laughed at him, and he is at his worst in this. Don’t think it’s aged well at all.

Michael O’Keefe is one of the ugliest actors I’ve ever seen from the 80s as well. Chase was excellent though.

Yeah I don't think Comedies from that time have aged well. I watched Coming To America and Planes, Trains and Automobiles for the first time since a kid recently and Coming To America was pretty good, but Planes Trains only had a couple of proper laughs out of me. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry pal, I think Rodney Dangerfield is absolute garbage. I have never ever laughed at him

Can't you be banned for making these types of obviously provocative troll type posts?