Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Yeah, much like The Descendents from the same director, I think people were expecting an upbeat comedy starring a Hollywood leading man.  Although for some reason, even when I saw it I was sure Mike Judge was involved.

Similar thing with About Schmidt. Went to it expecting old Jack Nicholson falling over and pissing himself - wasn't quite like that!

51 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

With apologies to Tony James, I just watched Criminal. A weird one, this. It makes no sense at all, has a weirdly over-populated cast (Ryan Reynolds is in it for maybe 10 minutes) and it's one of those British-set films obviously written by a Yank because people in it say things like "THAT'S BANG OUT OF ORDER!" when Kevin Costner smacks somebody in the head with a van door. But Costner is so weirdly brilliant in it as a growling psychopath that it's weirdly watchable. He also bops along to some Radio 1Xtra at one point.

Some of this was filmed in Croydon, so even though I haven't seen it, it was robbed at the Oscars. 

40 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Downsizing is really good as well. Strange that it was so badly received, perhaps because Matt Damon doesn't, I don't know, go to Asda and almost get stepped on when trying to buy some Jif Lemon or something. But I really liked it and there were some great gags in there too.

For me it was due to it being painted as a straight up comedy in the trailers etc and then...

BAM!  Ecology

The jump was too jarring and I just wasn't up for making the leap.

Had Green Book as a secret screening tonight.  Absolutely enthralling.  Reverse Driving Miss Daisy where a fairly racist wiseguy gets a job driving round a black pianist on a tour of the South.

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Similar thing with About Schmidt. Went to it expecting old Jack Nicholson falling over and pissing himself - wasn't quite like that!

I'm well aware this is going to net me more "Talking Bollocks" points, but what the hell. For a while, it felt like As Good As It Gets, About Schmidt, and Something's Gotta Give were some sort of weird Old Man Jack Nicholson trilogy where he played older guys flawed or disconnected from the mainstream world in some way being redeemed through relationships with women.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is great. Felt like Lanthimos returning to the darkness of Dogtooth, I really didn't care for The Lobster. Looking forward to The Favourite next month.

Call Me by Your Name bored me sideways, however. Should have got a clue when I watched A Bigger Splash, the well-to-do sitting around Italy moping about their lot, a load of shite.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

IÔĽŅ really didn't care for The Lobster.¬†

Apart from the bits La Belle Lea was in, obviously.

I like his films - the Greek guy. I think it's fascinating that he insists upon the deadpan manner of speaking and he seems to have found his muse in Colin Farrell. It's very strange at first, but like David Lynch, once you accept it, it's fine. I'm just glad there's someone out there who is still being unrepentantly weird. 

18 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Had Green Book as a secret screening tonight.  Absolutely enthralling.  Reverse Driving Miss Daisy where a fairly racist wiseguy gets a job driving round a black pianist on a tour of the South.

Agreed, wasn't even aware of it when the title card came up, but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Great dynamic between the leading two actors (took me a long time to even realise it was Viggo Mortensen) and garnered several genuine laughs for a such a serious topic.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:50 AM, Carbomb said:

I'm well aware this is going to net me more "Talking Bollocks" points, but what the hell. For a while, it felt like As Good As It Gets, About Schmidt, and Something's Gotta Give were some sort of weird Old Man Jack Nicholson trilogy where he played older guys flawed or disconnected from the mainstream world in some way being redeemed through relationships with women.

Not bollocks at all - he had a great run with those films. His voiceover in About Schmidt is quite incredibly moving. It's a shame he seems to have retired - of course he doesn't have to, but I'd love to see one more Jacked up performance from the mad old bastard. The IMDB's trivia section tells me he's a huge wrestling fan! Who knew?

Edited by Brewster McCloud

Watched a couple of lovely films today.

Robot & Frank is a pretty easy sell considering it's an hour and a half of Frank Langella moaning at his robot servant, but it's still really funny and touching plus you get a bonus Liv Tyler.

The Lady in the Van was a good film to back it with as well. Does the reality / fiction melding that 24 Hour Party People mastered but Alex Jennings is a cracking Alan Bennett and Maggie Smith is as great as you might imagine.

The House With The Clock In Its Walls or whatever it's called.  It looks nice and the two leads are good, but its Eli Roth.  Couldn't help but think Tim Burton would have made it worse.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Couldn't help but think Tim Burton would have made it worse.

Should be on every film poster