DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Apologies for moving away from the Glass discussion although Branquey might like it that way, I've been ploughing through some Ghibli films I'd never seen (still got a few to go) this week.

I think Ponyo is the best of them but, typically, there are no weak films in The Cat Returns or Only Yesterday or Arrietty. They're always showing Ghibli films at The Light in Stockport but they're always evening showings so I can't get to them.

• Paid Members

Back when Play.com existed, they occasionally had sales on Ghibli movies at 3 for £15 and I managed to grab most of them up to Ponyo. I had a look at what ones I’ve missed since then and they’re all still going for over a tenner on eBay so I reckon I don’t care so much about owning them all when I can stream them for nowt.

• Paid Members

I'd recommend the Ghibliotheque podcast. The gimmick is that one of the hosts has seen every Ghibli film, the other has basically seen none of them, and they discuss a different film every episode, so you get a bit on the history and making of, and then a chat about how it fits into Ghibli's oeuvre, and what they thought of it. Usually some fun tidbits in there.

I need to rewatch Ponyo; I wasn't overly sold on it first time around, but Ghibliotheque (mostly) raved about it, and the book Miyazakiworld discusses it as one of the greats, so it's probably due a second viewing.

I didn't think much of Arrietty - it was the first Ghibli movie I saw in the cinema, and recently rewatched it, and it's nice but doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere. I don't mind my Ghibli films being relaxed and meandering, but it lacks the kind of set-pieces and imagination that would normally make up for that.

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'd recommend the Ghibliotheque podcast. The gimmick is that one of the hosts has seen every Ghibli film, the other has basically seen none of them

Anime me Marc! Anime me Peter! 

4 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

Bird Box. It's like a significantly better version of The Happening. 

I enjoyed it for what it was. And Sandra Bullock is still smoking. 

Sandra Bullock has this incredible vicious circle quality where she can switch between sexy and unsexy in a flash which only makes her more sexy. A while ago it may be, but the scene where she's trying to keep up with the group choreography in Miss Congeniality, I'm set on having her kids.

• Moderators

Mid90s is fucking brilliant. Coming of Age is one of my least favourite genres, but it's such a great snapshot of a time period a lot of us probably grew up in (though not in southern California, but still aware of the sub-culture), and though it hits the usual plot beats you'd expect from such a story, it does so beautifully. It's one of the most authentic looking and feeling period pieces ever, too. It genuinely feels like something shot in 1994.

3 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Mid90s is fucking brilliant. Coming of Age is one of my least favourite genres, but it's such a great snapshot of a time period a lot of us probably grew up in (though not in southern California, but still aware of the sub-culture), and though it hits the usual plot beats you'd expect from such a story, it does so beautifully. It's one of the most authentic looking and feeling period pieces ever, too. It genuinely feels like something shot in 1994.

He absolutely nailed the soundtrack as well. And the shots of the Stretch and Bob tapes at the start were a real mark out moment for me. Listen to him on their podcast and you can tell he loves hip hop and wanted to be as authentic as possible. 

Really great film.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

I hadn't heard of this. As mentioned before, I am all about anything with Jonah Hill's name on it. Is it on any streaming services? Or do I need to download it?