DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Special I.D. - Following on from the rather spectacular second viewing of Flash Point last week I thought I'd give this a second watch to. Donnie Yen in another police action fight fest.

At times this is cool as fuck with top notch fight scenes but unfortunately it sort of falls apart when it comes to the oh so familiar plot. Basically it's your undercover cop finds it difficult to be undercover story.

Essentially the plots been done. Done way better and often too. It nearly works, as like I say the action is pretty damn cool. There's just not quite enough of it to carry it over. There seems to be exposition missing and feels a little nonsensical every now and again.

It's possible that part of the problem for me was that the English subs on the Universal Blu-ray seemed really quick. Often I'd barely get through half the sentence before the next line. Thus I'd have to make some educated guesses.

Still though the fight in the restaurant kitchen with an army of Triad is pretty bloody awesome.

No. The first one was received well but I didn't like it. The others of which I've seen bits of look like they drop off in quality to the point that it's amazing they were getting cinema releases. I'd rather use that quid to buy a scratch card or three potato scollops.

• Paid Members

Shite film that had an impact on my teenage years. Thanks to that dross and stuff like The Matrix, Blade and Van Helsing, I wondered around both years of 6th form and for a few years after sporting a large leather coat. The one that came right down to just below your knees. I thought I was hot shit. Then when I was in my mid-20's I hated how I used to look. Now I'm 30 and I look back with a smile at the twat who thought he looked the dogs bollocks.

So aye, it's a bit shit but worth a quid to add a boxset to your collection. Also, I remember Bill Nighy entering some great "I'm just here for the money" performances.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Underworld Trilogy???

Didnt they make 5?

Kate Beckinsale sacked them off and they got someone else in, then she returned, so they probably just ignore those ones.

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

@DEF - if you're on a martial arts, particularly kung fu, movie kick, may I recommend to you The Blade? Seriously one of my favourite martial arts films ever, the action's great, the plot's standard but well paced, and the story's engrossing. Basic story, without giving too much away: martial artist who's been chosen to take over his master's dojo (and has his master's broken sword passed down to him) sees his town over-run by bandits. He finds himself ambushed, loses his arm,and ends up running for his life. Finds himself in a burnt-out shell of a house, where he discovers an ancient martial arts text, via which he learns to fight one-handed and using what remains of the sword, and, obviously, intends to utilise in revenge against the bandits.

Highly recommended.

Edited by Carbomb

2 hours ago, chokeout said:

Kate Beckinsale sacked them off and they got someone else in, then she returned, so they probably just ignore those ones.

I shouldn't know this but I think she ony 'missed' the third one but was kinda of in it anyway with flashbacks.  She was back for 4 & 5. The Underworld films are alright if you know exactly what you're getting. Pretty watchable. 

On 9/26/2018 at 11:56 AM, TildeGuy~! said:

Bedevilled

I’ve been on a Korean movie diet all week and this was in my recommended so this morning I gave it a watch.

Its about a woman who returns from the city to visit her friend in a small village on vacation, her friend is subjected to physical, sexual and mental abuse from most of the people on the remote island and will do anything to seek a way out for herself and daughter how so? With extreme violence.

Korean film makers really have a way with making you hate characters and the way they treat women can be really hard to watch.

I'd recommend A Bittersweet Life https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bittersweet_Life

Edited by zep81

5 hours ago, Twatters said:

I shouldn't know this but I think she ony 'missed' the third one but was kinda of in it anyway with flashbacks.  She was back for 4 & 5. The Underworld films are alright if you know exactly what you're getting. Pretty watchable. 

It was because she was pregnant during the filming of the third one. So she shot some new dialogue and some scenes so you can't see her bump.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Carbomb said:

@DEF - if you're on a martial arts, particularly kung fu, movie kick, may I recommend to you The Blade? 

This the one? I pretty much rotate between binge watching action, martial arts and horror movies these days so I'm always up for something new. 

513DC5MD0NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by DEF

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

A Star is Born

Really fucking excellent.  Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga are fantastic in it.  The soundtrack was so good that I've ordered it already.  It's a little over two hours, but I really thought I'd been living with them for a long time.  The time absolutely flew by.

Content warning:

Reveal hidden contents

Deals a lot with addiction.

Judging from the reactions in the screening pretty much everyone was in to it.

Massive spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Because we were all bawling our eyes out.  Then, just when you think you can't cry any more it notches up a bit more so that I had to compose myself before I could even drive away.

Agreed fully, absolutely brilliant film! One of my favourites of the year.

Great and brutally honest performance by Bradley Cooper (and very well directed). Lady Gaga was sensational though, she deserves all the plaudits she’ll undoubtedly get.

Fantastic memorable soundtrack too, which I’ll be getting on release day. Been humming the songs since I left the cinema.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, DEF said:

This the one? I pretty much rotate between binge watching action, martial arts and horror movies these days so I'm always up for something new. 

513DC5MD0NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's the one! Enjoy!