I got really far behind on Impact while the World Cup was on but as soon as the Windsor tapings got going in the run up to Slammiversary it was excellent, as was the PPV. Particular highlights, amazingly, were Rich Swann on two consecutive occasions (Vs Rey Fenix, and the 6-man with Fenix and Pentagon against OVE which were both superb). Also Cage Vs Kong was everything I would want it to be, several laugh out loud moments during one particular episode, vast improvements in match quality across the board (an actual star rating from me for the first time in about 3 years - Broken Universe exempted), all the Su Yung hokum (that Madison Rayne spooky go home pre-tape was INCREDIBLE), the entire Pentagon/Callihan feud and even Killer Kross has turned out quite good.

The only stuff out of place is anything involving Grado.

I have no problem with Scarlett Bordeaux. I am however still 3 weeks behind despite this draw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I think that 'All In' proved something that's been bugging me for a while about Impact's 'open contract' business.

It seems to me that the company is happy for its talent to appear on other shows but we're not really in a climate where that's been reciprocated.

'All In' even had the company's booker on commentary and a few of its wrestlers on the card, yet no-one left the show with any pretence that this was anything but a ROH/NJPW event.

Then you have ROH tying down Cody Rhodes, Young Bucks etc to exclusive contracts and now MLW is doing the same with theirs, it just feels Impact is cheapening itself in letting its top stars appear everywhere while they aren't being allowed to do the same. 

At the moment you have ROH cosying up to the biggest kid on the school yard (NJPW) and doing what it can to stop Impact becoming part of the fold (although its also embarrassing to see Impact trying quite so hard to be friends with them.)

For the first time in a while, Impact actually has wrestlers with some buzz behind them on the roster (Tessa, Sami Callihan, Austin Aries etc) but at the moment everyone else is also benefitting from them so why bother watching Impact if you already watch ROH etc? 

Its a nice idea to have everyone free to appear on different shows but unless everyone (bar WWE of course) plays ball, it just doesn't work in reality. 

Edited by garynysmon

Nah I don't agree with that. The whole open contract business has been a stroke of genius in getting Impact a bit of buzz and generating some goodwill that I didn't think they'd ever be able to get back. They've benefited just by being accepted back into the same conversations as those other promotions rather than being the pariahs they were before. From a business perspective it's not ideal but they have no choice - their survival depends on removing the bad taste left in people's mouths from years of TNA. You also have to remember a large portion of the talent you're talking about probably wouldn't even be in the company if they were forced to choose between Impact or their other gigs. 

• 3 weeks later...