Iā€™ll be damned if Iā€™m not actually really looking forward to this. The build has, in my opinion,Ā been the best to any TNA/Impact event since Angle vs Joe for Lockdown 2008 (even factoring in the sense of anticipation and attempted mystery built into the hype of Bound For Glory 10/10/10).

And unlike previous shows which looked good but wereĀ then blighted by underwhelming matches, and often booked poorly and illogically, there appears to be a trust in this current regime (from the build, to the production and even the choice of venue)Ā that this show will be very good, if not excellent.Ā 

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members

The PPV was more than excellent. Every match was at least good and some were down right wonderful. The opener was so good and the LAX tag was a brilliant multiman brawl. Might have been the best TNA show in a decade. Certainly in the last few years.

They have some absolutely world class wrestlers on there. Fenix was the best wrestler on the show, followed by Aries.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Unlikely unfortunately. The PPVs weren't part of the new deal they signed with 5spike. They showed last years Slammiversary on FightNetwork last night so it might show up on there eventually. I believe its currently only available (legally at least) through Fite as a PPV replay.Ā 

http://impactwrestling.com/slammiversary-2018-to-air-live-exclusively-on-fite-tv-in-uk-international-markets/

• Paid Members

I downloaded this after reading Ian's good review. Not had a chance to watch it but I have to say flicking through it, the look of the show has already put me off a bit. I fully admit, I'm a complete snob about wrestling that doesn't look big time. Other than ECW, I've never really got into any sort of indy. Despite all the improvements and the much better arena, this still looks so small time. I hate that ICW like angle too with the entrance behind the ring. Unless it's MSG, that's a no-no.

I'm not judging the show or the company until I've had a chance to sit and watch it but I think it does really undermine them when it's still so dark and dingy. A small, packed, well-lit venue would do wonders for them IMO.

I'm kinda bored of wrestling, well I only used to watch WWE anyway, but that was a very enjoyable show. Some great storytelling. Will definitely check out impact again. Going in the right direction for me.

7 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I downloaded this after reading Ian's good review. Not had a chance to watch it but I have to say flicking through it, the look of the show has already put me off a bit. I fully admit, I'm a complete snob about wrestling that doesn't look big time. Other than ECW, I've never really got into any sort of indy. Despite all the improvements and the much better arena, this still looks so small time. I hate that ICW like angle too with the entrance behind the ring. Unless it's MSG, that's a no-no.

I'm not judging the show or the company until I've had a chance to sit and watch it but I think it does really undermine them when it's still so dark and dingy. A small, packed, well-lit venue would do wonders for them IMO.

It was violent, but it wasn't just gorey, garbage for the sake of it violence. Most of it played into the storylines and was quite clever in certain spots.

I'd also say that the crowd were definitely in to it, nobody trying to hijack the show when bored as I've seen with WWE all too frequently. I don't think they have the ability to draw big venues at the moment anyway. If it's this place or Orlando they are better off in here. Seen the next PPV is in NYC and they have tapings in Vegas in November.

Edited by Mick

• Paid Members

I watched the Slammiversary cold open, and based on that and the last few pages, Iā€™m genuinely interested in checking out Impact again.

The code open reminds me of the awesome ones TNA used to produce when they first started the monthlyĀ PPVs. I stuck with the company when Sting debuted, but after all the ā€œnamesā€ leaving and then the constant regime mess, just completely turned off.

Impact seems to haveĀ finallyĀ found an identity for itself somewhat (I didnā€™t watch the video and think, ā€œThey wish they were WWEā€)Ā and bothering to establish characters in the roster they do have.

Watched some of the show during the night and the rest this morning.

If you get the opportunity, watch it. And you won't want to skip anything. It surpassed all of my expectations (which were loftier than normal).

On a side note, after the Windsor tapings, and especially after Slammiversary, IMPACT absolutely should never ever again return to the Impact Zone in Orlando.

Edited by uklaw

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, uklaw said:

On a side note, after the Windsor tapings, and especially after Slammiversary, IMPACT absolutely should never ever again return to the Impact Zone in Orlando.

Ā 

Ordinarily I'd argue that Orlando was unavoidable due to economic reasons. But I think they have rehabilitated the brand enough to reach the stage where they can attract a reasonable paid crowd.

They also have the fallback of Windsor, Ontario which I doubt they are paying much for anyway. The company's also taping inĀ Vegas in November which is probably free or even a bought show anyway.Ā 

If they do tape in Orlando again, make it a Twitch special or something. Maybe enough time will pass where the IZĀ will be a nostalgia show one day.

Edited by garynysmon

Allegedly the guy who books the venues for impact now is the same guy who handled ECWs venues and bookings so I'd imagine he would have a decent handle on smaller venues that could work for them.

Ā 

Bound For Glory is at the Melrose Ballroom in NYC on October 14th. Next two lots of tapings before that seem to be in Toronto.

• Paid Members

The booking was total 2005 TNA. Which is expected with D'Amore in charge. He booked the feuds around who would best be suited for an eventually match. He didnt book feuds and forget that maybe Grado vs Abyss might be a bit shit. I do like how they've targeted cities with a traditionally hot crowd. Chicago, Toronto and New York look to be the regular places they'll run in the near future. Which should guarantee a hot crowd.

• Paid Members

Just finished watching the show. I'll tell you what, I enjoyed that as much as I could enjoy any wrestling show in 2018 and at this stage of my life.

I generally feel that too much emphasis is put on in-ring match quality and not enough on match build-up these days, but they got both pretty spot on.

PlusĀ its such a game changer to hold shows in front of a hot crowd that cares, it improves the presentation ten fold.

I felt so bad for watching the show by less than legal meansĀ that I've gone ahead and bought a T-shirt from the Impact online shop. Being the cheap bastard that I am, that's quite some accolade.

Edited by garynysmon

That was a fucking tremendous show. I'd recommend people give this a shot, the overriding thing I took away was this was Wrestling aimed at me, a 33 year old jaded bastard that is absolutely pig sick of pancake jokes, a 70 year olds fart jokes and fucking B-Team bollocks. This was gritty, raw, edgy, every match felt like something had to be settled and a personal grudge. I aint read many reviews or seen every post on here but Callihan/Pentagon is one of my favourite matches this year, proper scrap, Callihan is one despicable mess of a man. I thought Aries performance in the main event was outstanding, he bumped his arse off and made moose look good. Great crowd, callis added a sense of importance, it all just felt like a fucking grown up version of Wrestling.

Ā