Raw discussion. 15/10/12 ***Spoilers***

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think the Cell stip will be the difference-maker. Perhaps, after being half-murderised, they'll have Heyman or someone come down, pull Punk out of there just as Ryback's signalling for the Shell-Shock (I think), then lock the door with a padlock, giving Punk and Heyman enough time to high-tail it out, get to the parking lot just as Ryback tears the door off, and zoom off in a car.

• Paid Members
I think the Cell stip will be the difference-maker. Perhaps, after being half-murderised, they'll have Heyman or someone come down, pull Punk out of there just as Ryback's signalling for the Shell-Shock (I think), then lock the door with a padlock, giving Punk and Heyman enough time to high-tail it out, get to the parking lot just as Ryback tears the door off, and zoom off in a car.

I can absolutely see that happening. Not that I agree with it and I think it shafts anyone who's paid to watch this event in the first place. You'd certainly hope that if they did go down that route that it doesn't close the show. PPV's with stupid finishes like this are one of the many reasons buyrates have plummeted over time. You might get away with it if it's not the main event but what goes on instead? Fucking Sheamus vs Big Show?

But it does at least give Ryback a vehicle (no pun) to keep up his unbeaten streak and keep the title on Punk, so I can totally see why they'd go for it. They just seemed to have booked themselves into a corner with Ryback.

• Paid Members

Someone mentioned it earlier, but I don't think it needs Vince to turn heel. You've got Paul Heyman as the slimy lawyer, after all.

Have Heyman threaten legal action unless the title is returned to Punk, on the basis that Ryback said he didn't care about the title and only wanted a fight - so Punk and Heyman claim that they thought it was a non-title match. Vince doesn't want to do it, but get advised by his lawyers that he'll lose in court, so he has to.

That way, Ryback gets his win and Punk gets huge heat on him. This isn't 2000, where it's happening all the time. Nothing like this has happened in years, so I think they could do it as a one-off.

Follow it up with Ryback beating the absolute shit out of Punk, and Heyman gets a restraining order against him to avoid a rematch. That way, you also get to slow down on Ryback, while establishing Punk as a paper champion who ducks his opponents. Cue Rock at the Rumble, with Ryback possibly getting his Mania rematch against Punk.

Doesn't that weaken Punk though? I'm all up for the heelish, slightly wimpy champion, but being battered to hell all the time surely makes him look like crap, and what of facing The Rock? It surely weakens that match?

I'm pretty sure Punk will win by cheating. Its a shame they've rushed the Ryback thing.

[shit idea #4356765432456]

So, open the show with Punk/Ryback. They like doing that from time to time.

Do Bombcar's idea, which is the best of a bad bunch here, and as Punk speeds off have a camera pan to Cena who's watching in disbelief.

Then, after Ryback has tore the door off he charges out the back. We have a long seg with Ryback trashing the backstage, chucking the extras around whilst AJ/Vince/whoever else is perceived to have authority tries to calm him down.

I'd then make the rest of the show Ryback in a Cell. Hell in a Ryback. Ryback-a-mania.

You get the picture.

Every match is preceded with a cut to the back to find out what's going on with him. Gorillas in the Mist shit with stealthy camera men trying to see what he's doing from afar without getting clobbered. At some point, after everyone legging it out of his way, I'd have Ryback walk past a room where we hear Ziggler talking about how Ryback blew it, he's shit and Zigglers the only person in the company with a title shot guaranteed and Ryback will never be champion. AngRyback (geddit....?) rips the door off it's hinges, charges at Ziggler but Ziggler gets away whilst the people Ziggler was talking to get a whooping.

Then, in the main event I'd have Big Show win the title but get Ziggler'd out of it straight away, beating his own shit-title-reign record.

Then just as the show looks as if it's going to end with a triumphant Ziggler, I'd have Rybacks music hit, he'd walk down, Ziggler can't leave because the cell is down, Ryback gets in the cell, locks it behind hm and the show ends with Ziggler getting the mother of all beatings.

Ergo;

- we get some comeuppance for Ziggler who walked out on his match on Monday

- we get Ryback out of the Cena/Rock/Punk arc

- we all get to laugh at the Big Show

[/shit idea]

[shit idea #4356765432456]

So, open the show with Punk/Ryback. They like doing that from time to time.

Can't do that on a one-match show though. Something substantial happening in the Ryback vs Punk match is the only thing seling the PPV to anyone. Look at the rest of the card.

Sheamus vs Big Show. It's certainly a step up from Sheamus vs Del Rio, but nobody gives two wanks about it.

Randy Orton vs Alberto Del Rio. Even duller than you'd expect a feud between these two to be.

Hello No vs Rhodes Scholars. Appealing midcard match, but it's already happened on Smackdown. Or Hell No vs Mysterio and Sin Cara, which hasn't been done before but is less interesting.

If they do a cheap cop-out with the WWE title match, whether it goes on first or last, they're fucked. They've got nothing on that bill that they can use to make the paying audience (both in the arena and on TV) feel they got their money's worth. I suppose the Ziggler cash-in is their ace in the hole, but that's small fries.

I'm just concerned that what is actually going to happen is that Ryback will squash Punk in like 10 seconds only for the ref (that weird guy, maybe, who they had a mini-angle with recently) to have it pointed out to him that the bell wasn't rung by Heyman. As Ryback grabs Heyman by the lapels ready to kill him, the ref rings the bell, Punk rolls him up, grabs the tights and the ref fast counts Ryback out and it turns out the ref was in Punks pocket the whole time.

• Paid Members

Ryback needs to win the title. He's white hot now, that's what matters. For all the "well, he could not win the title at the ppv, but we'll do this and stretch it out for a few months..." fantasy booking, there's no guarantee he's still going to be this over. If they fuck him now, the absolute best case scenario is that they can rehab him back to this point again down the line. A lot of what they've done over the last few weeks has been done out of nothing but sheer panic (because of Cena's injury), yet it doesn't come across as forced on tv, the fans are eating it up. WWE have lucked into this situation, Cena stepping aside so Ryback can kill Punk feels completely natural. This isn't a Batista-like chase that can be built for weeks and months on end just through subtle teases, this is a guy who the crowd want to see beat Punk, and has entire arenas chanting his catchphrase now. Ryback's lightning in a bottle, you don't empty the bottle and hope you can recapture it later. They need to pull the trigger on him, now.

Punk vs Rock for the title at the Rumble, if it needs to happen, isn't dependent on Punk going into the match as champion for x amount of days. January's a loooong time away, they can put the belt back on Punk nearer the time, if need be. They don't need to kill Ryback now for that match to happen.

• Paid Members

If they take the title off Ryback back onto Punk between HIAC and January that risks killing Ryback pretty swiftly itself and then what has really been achieved sticking the belt on him right away? I guess it depends on how the belt is taken off him. They have to be careful not to damage his momentum and keep it building because there's definite money in Ryback in the Rumble.

• Paid Members

Cleetus has nailed it. There's a lot of fantasy booking regarding how to not have Ryback win the belt. If that was the thought going into it, he should never have been put in the match to start with. If he fails at Hell in the Cell, will those fans who like him still be into him when he chokes? Even if he keeps his heat, he still didn't win the belt. WCW always did this and TNA always do this. I've seen it a million times. They put someone in a position where they can't be possibly be exposed or they die or their arse, and it all goes tits up.

Ryback can't be judged with the same type of logic if it was someone else in his position, because its something they didn't plan. They didn't know how or why he suddenly got over huge, so I hope they know why people want to remain cheering for him. Its a miracle he's over with no long matches and zero verbal ability. People are so into him. They've always pushed him, but their idea was to slowly build him. The fans have chosen him as a star. WWE didn't choose him. If they fuck this up, Ryback isn't going to be over like he is now.

I'm confident that Vince is still into big men to the point that he's going to do the right thing by Ryback and not cock this up.

Archived