Raw discussion. 15/10/12 ***Spoilers***

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

It really doesn't necessarily have to be a massive dent. People get bored eventually of guys just winning all the time, he needs other dimensions to his act. And honestly, I don't think Lesnar costing him would harm him at all. Lesnar is a fucking huge deal and a furious, intense Ryback intent on getting his mits on Lesnar and fucking his shit up would make for great telly and do him wonders. Lesnar not being around afterwards until I dunno maybe being in the Rumble or something where they could collide or tease. Ryback super pissed on Raw ploughing through more people and smashing shit up with his focus and motivation firmly locked on Lesnar would be better for me than him being champion and I don't think he'd be really damaged at all. I think that's best case scenario really.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It really doesn't necessarily have to be a massive dent. People get bored eventually of guys just winning all the time, he needs other dimensions to his act.

Yeah, but falling at the very first hurdle isn't a great sign. I'm not completely opposed to Lesnar (or Cena) costing him the match, but nobody else. It'd have to be someone with megastar status, and even then, it's a gamble in terms of Ryback looking like a winner. This is his very first real match. Even if he were to lose the title due to interference at TLC, he'd have had a couple of months with it and at least two or three proper wins.

I don't think WWE have booked themselves into a corner like this since Cena's Free or Fired referee spot. And that never ended up completely fucking a main event newcomer's momentum, so we should have faith in them.

Edit: The TLC poster's out, apparently. This doesn't mean anything really but they are well on board with Ryback:

1zpm81d.jpg

Although don't these normally have dates and stuff on?

• Paid Members

They used to, but the one with Punk as the Devil and the AJ and Bryan train tracks posters were done a few weeks before they were released. They usually have them done pretty quick now. Obviously the Ryback poster shouldn't be taken super serious, but win, lose or draw, I imagine he'll have a feature role in the TLC PPV.

I believe Ian it you that said Ryback would be done by xmas I think it was in a Smackdown thread a few months back.

I never said 'punk should've kicked out of the pedigree' stuff or really dunno where I said it but thats a pointless out of the blue thing to bring up, I've read though the pages and your just a bad going on rants and overly focused on your own opinion and ignoring others.

whatever happens at hell in the cell I can imagine most wont be happy with whatever the result is.

They put the belt on him for a few weeks, his flaws (not the best at working longer matches and can't talk for shit) would be exposed and you risk making him another Jack Swagger type forgettable champion.

Putting the belt on him doesn't mean he's going to have to work twenty minute matches every week, nor does it mean he has to do the HHH champion schtik and speak for ten minutes at the top of every show. If he wins the title he just carries on killing people until he has to lose it.

Also, having him go over Punk at HIAC destroys the momentum Punk would have going in to the Rumble, imagine how good the promos could be with Punk claiming to have one of the longest title reigns ever yadayada.

So nobody can go over Punk between now and the Rumble including the most over monster on the show? Fuck off. Punk's a weedy whiney bastard of a heel. He's also the apparent number two in the company, if he can't get momentum back after this he's worthless in his current position anyway. He's the top heel, he's meant to be making the good guys look awesome and retaining momentum.

Punk has built up a long reign good, bad or ugly doesnt matter its still 300 odd days and its now part of the story and gives him bragging rights and more heat now and for when he loses it

Because if there's one person who needs to get some heat off Punk it's The Rock.

whatever happens at hell in the cell I can imagine most wont be happy with whatever the result is.

That's not true. Most people in the arena will probably be over the bloody moon if Ryback wins.

I can't really believe that people are worried about Punk losing credibility or momentum. The only one that's in a position where that could happen is Ryback, because he's the undefeated monster of a babyface that hasn't been proven yet. If he fails badly here, whether it's because he's outsmarted or because Punk's better or whatever then he fails at his very first hurdle. He's the beast until he enters top flight competition and then he's nothing, just like everyone else. If he is going to lose he has to be very well protected in it, and probably with better than anything anyone's come up with in here. Punk is not going to lose anything from being pinned by somebody who likes like he could eat him whole. Presumably anybody who thinks that must have a very low appreciation of Punk. Punk's an established top heel in the company, he can put Ryback over. And like I say, if he puts Ryback over and he can't regain momentum than he really shouldn't be in the spot he's in and the WWE have real problems. And how moronic an argument is, Punk has gotta go over Ryback so the statistics are better for his promos? You don't have a man as hot as Ryback is lose so that some guy can say "yeah, well I've been champion for three billion days Dwayne" in one promo.

• Paid Members
Putting the belt on him doesn't mean he's going to have to work twenty minute matches every week, nor does it mean he has to do the HHH champion schtik and speak for ten minutes at the top of every show. If he wins the title he just carries on killing people until he has to lose it.

Yeah, causing having a champ who doesn't talk but rather just stands there grunting and looking angry, like he's done for the past 3 weeks, while his opponent carries the entire promo, that won't get boring at all. Noone will take him seriously if he wins the belt then carries on squashing jobbers, if he wins the belt then he'll need to be in the usual upper card matches and they're not going to have him destroy all there upper midcard to main eventers for the sake of him losing a couple of weeks done the line.

So nobody can go over Punk between now and the Rumble including the most over monster on the show? Fuck off. Punk's a weedy whiney bastard of a heel. He's also the apparent number two in the company, if he can't get momentum back after this he's worthless in his current position anyway. He's the top heel, he's meant to be making the good guys look awesome and retaining momentum.

I didn't say that noone should go over Punk but I don't think he should lose the title between now and the Rumble, the longer he holds the title the bigger a deal the title match against The Rock will feel and I imagine that's how WWE are going to be looking at it too. Ryback can destroy Punk and essentially go over him at HIAC but not necessarily win the belt if Lesnar was to get involved, put Ryback over Lesnar and you've made him into a bigger and more legitimate star than you have by putting the belt on him for a few weeks.

But is Ryback going to lose any momentum if he's screwed out of the title?

I mean if he destroys those who screwed him, then fans will have that lasting image. Then have him run out the next night powerbombing, slamming, punching everyone in sight. He can still be strong.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say there's no way back from Ryback losing, but it'll be difficult.

Perhaps one of the inherent problems with the 'winning streak' gimmick, is it becomes a burden, and it takes away the unique factor from the character when it comes to it's eventual end. Having said that, I'm not 100% sure that Goldberg's failing was ending the streak itself, it was how poorly he was booked in the 12 -18 months that followed. He was still over like a rover when he faced Scott Hall in that tazer ladder match at Souled out 99, it was a calamity of errors in the way he was booked throughout late 99/ when he returned from that arm injury in 2000 that hampered him.

However, because this is so soon, I'm not sure they have that luxury with Ryback, if he was 100+ and 0 they would have leverage, but at this stage if you take that away, I'm not sure he's got enough going on to hold mass interest. He has to go over or they risk missing out on something which 'could' be huge. If he can survive losing and still be just as over then brilliant, but surely that's a huge gamble at this stage.

Yeah, causing having a champ who doesn't talk but rather just stands there grunting and looking angry, like he's done for the past 3 weeks, while his opponent carries the entire promo, that won't get boring at all. Noone will take him seriously if he wins the belt then carries on squashing jobbers, if he wins the belt then he'll need to be in the usual upper card matches and they're not going to have him destroy all there upper midcard to main eventers for the sake of him losing a couple of weeks done the line.

You can book a champion without him cutting promos. His appeal isn't the fact that he can cut promos, it's that he goes in and kicks arse. That's all he needs to do. As for booking him against upper carders, he's obviously going to get a bit of a licking from Punk, he doesn't need to completely dominate if the match is booked right. And to be honest I'd keep him mostly in tag matches. I'd be doing the Big Daddy thing and teaming him up with losers who take a pounding during the main events against two bastardy heels and then Ryback comes in and kicks arse. Things like that. Once he wins the title he's established as a real fucking deal and can take offence against upper carders and main eventers, obviously. That's what people seem to be forgetting, this is his first actual hurdle. It shouldn't be, but it is. Once he's over that things will be a bit easier. As it is now it's much more complicated unless he clears it.

But Ryback is the man who should be going over Punk. Nobody else. That's my point. You can't say "Oh I'm not saying no one should go over Punk, except obviously the man that could gain a hell of a lot from it, he shouldn't". Because that's bollocks. And if the WWE are looking at CM Punk vs. The Rock and think Punk needs to have the title since the T-rex first cum than their being as ridiculous about it as you. Which admittedly they might be. And I'm not sure I get delaying Ryback's big win for Lesnar. What the hell is the point of it? Punk isn't losing anything from losing to Ryback. Punk vs. Rock is going to be a big deal regardless of how long Punk's held the belt. They can talk them into the building. So why would you go "Oh well, putting Ryback over now when he's at his most hot is obviously stupid, you know we should do? We'll hold off on it, hope people still give a toss about Ryback, maybe wait a few months and then put him over...hmm...who's that guy we're paying a fortune for? The one who's built up as a monster? He can only do a few dates? Yeah, him, whoever he is, we're going to put him against the guy that didn't even beat Punk in his first big match." It's really bloody pointless. Why delay Ryback's big win? He's hot now. If Ryback goes over Punk and they figure a way to take the belt off him in a month or so then his match with Lesnar becomes a bigger deal because he's already established. And then if Ryback beats Lesnar in what is a bigger match then he becomes an even bigger deal. Would you rather be the guy who's known for choking in his first big match because he got outsmarted and then beat Lesnar, or the former WWE Champion who got conned out of the belt afterwards and has also beaten Lesnar. The last one's better.

There probably is a way of having Ryback lose at Hell in a Cell without him losing too much momentum. But why bother? That's what I don't get. In fact, have him win and then have Lesnar be involved as well as quite a few other tricks when he loses the title. But why not give him the win? Has anyone got a better reason than that they really want Punk to keep the belt? Because so far all I've heard is a load of shit about Punk vs. Rock not drawing unless Punk has held the title since big bang and it's arse gravy. And then there's this bollocks about a short reign will kill his momentum more so they should have Lesnar stop him winning the title now? If Lesnar screwing him out of the title isn't going to damage him at Hell in a Cell it's not going to damage him a month down the line either is it? When he's already been established as the man who beat the top heel in the company. Who, with an ounce of common sense, is thinking "Oh, we better protect Punk heading into a match at the one of the biggest shows of the year against one of the biggest stars we've ever had" over "we better protect Ryback who's super hot right now and could become the second biggest face in the company but hasn't actually proven himself yet"? I ask because I want their names and addresses so I can send them a bunch of a flowers and thank you card for not being involved in booking, story writing and probably missile defence units.

• Paid Members

Is it absolutely set in stone that Punk will be facing The Rock at the Royal Rumble? A lot of people are making this claim, but I dont know where its come from. Sorry if I missed something. And even if that was the plan a few weeks ago, plans changed. People fall in and out of favour over night in WWE. People would have put the mortgage on Orton v Triple H at Mania 21 (barring an injury to either party) after Orton was dumped out of Evolution. And they built towards that goal from Summerslam to just after Survivor Series, and then something unexpected happened with Batista and the whole plan changed. Punk may not be the one to face The Rock at the Rumble. Maybe plans have changed.

• Paid Members
Is it absolutely set in stone that Punk will be facing The Rock at the Royal Rumble?

No- it's been the most logical one, though. The Rock announced he would challenge for the WWE title at Royal Rumble, Punk was WWE champion at the time and the last time Rocky appeared on TV Punk closed the show by taking him out. Of course championships can change hands between then and RR but the Punk attack on Rock led to a lot of people thinking that would be the much, a conclusion you can understand them coming to.

• Paid Members
I believe Ian it you that said Ryback would be done by xmas I think it was in a Smackdown thread a few months back.

On the contrary, I believe I said saying "imagine he actually started working with real wrestlers instead of nobodies" and people started saying "he could be exposed as another Heidenreich" and shit like that. It was always plain as day he'd have got over if he was killing people who weren't jobbers and selling for Curt Hawkins. And strangely enough, he's actually over now? Funny that.

I never said 'punk should've kicked out of the pedigree' stuff or really dunno where I said it but thats a pointless out of the blue thing to bring up, I've read though the pages and your just a bad going on rants and overly focused on your own opinion and ignoring others.

I just find it funny that you can bitch about WWE booking as it pertains to one of your favourites, yet you cry when someone posts something against your opinion. If you actually read this thread, you will see it is all spoke in opinion and people disagree and agree and nobody is right or wrong until we see the results. I take peoples opinions on board all the time. Just not a thin skinned clown like you, because a rant like on the previous pages usually follows.

• Moderators
Ryback isnt gonna fizzle out if he loses despite what some think

He will. He really really will. His whole USP is quick and dominating wins. If he loses that then he's just a white Ezekiel Jackson.

• Paid Members
Is it absolutely set in stone that Punk will be facing The Rock at the Royal Rumble?

No- it's been the most logical one, though. The Rock announced he would challenge for the WWE title at Royal Rumble, Punk was WWE champion at the time and the last time Rocky appeared on TV Punk closed the show by taking him out. Of course championships can change hands between then and RR but the Punk attack on Rock led to a lot of people thinking that would be the much, a conclusion you can understand them coming to.

Yeah, I do get all of that. But like the rest of my posts says; plans change. That may have been the plan sometime ago (and very may well still be), but a lot of people are talking about keeping Punk strong going into his match with The Rock when we don't know for certain if that's still the plan. This Ryback development may have radically change things ala Batista and Orton all those years ago.

Archived