Raw discussion. 15/10/12 ***Spoilers***

IANdrewDiceClay

But who is The Rock going to face then? Punk V Rock is the match everyone wants to see and will have the best build up, with an already in built story. Rock/Ryback? Really? It'll be the shits. The Rock is going to want a big big match, with the top heel. Its either Punk/Cena or possibly Lesnar.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For me you have to do Punk vs Rock. I think people are big into the Rock winning the title. Ryback could lose the belt in a triple threat match with Cena and Punk, where they do some smoke and mirrors finish. Say Lesnar comes out at the December PPV and they brawl in a fashion that kept Undertaker strong at Survivor Series 90. Punk beats Cena in the ring, and as Ryback and Lesnar are tearing into each other up the entrance ramp, Punk wins the title in the ring after Ryback has already hit his finisher on Cena. The PPV can go off the air with Ryback having a new opponent down the road which people would be super into if Ryback is the star people predict he will be by the time, and they get the title off Ryback. And Punk would actually get the three count after Ryback hit his finisher on Cena, so you could get that move over as well. You could do the "man wrestling for the title he never lost against a man who never beat him" spin on a rematch down the road if you want the belt back on Ryback. Or even put Ryback in the World title Elimination Chamber and have him plough through the lot in February and set up Cena vs Ryback in title vs title match at SummerSlam next year.

• Paid Members

One possible outcome: CM Punk and Ryback have a fucking shit match at HIAC and Ryback wins and gets boo'd out the building. Or they have a shit match, Ryback loses and his career is dead in the water.

I hope WWE realise from this that when you book the whole roster like shit for years and only have 2 main eventers you will get yourself trapped in a corner.

• Paid Members
One possible outcome: CM Punk and Ryback have a fucking shit match at HIAC and Ryback wins and gets boo'd out the building. Or they have a shit match, Ryback loses and his career is dead in the water.

Probably a good chance of that. I dont think Ryback will get booed, though. I just think people are so desperate for someone new to cheer, he'll remain over for a while.

• Paid Members

I'm concerned that there are a lot of fans out there that aren't ready to get fully behind Ryback yet and that slapping the belt around his waist so fast might result in a backlash, especially since Punk still has a strong vocal following in most arenas. Last thing WWE want is another face champion getting audible boos everywhere.

Fans are desperate for someone to cheer, yes. But wrestling fans are also a bunch of wankers, equally desperate for someone to shit on sometimes.

• Paid Members

He'll get a few of the manky neckbeards chanting "GOLDBERG" at him, but I'd be surprised if he gets loudly booed. Mind, CM Punk has done a cracking job as a heel, people are wanting to see him get his head caved in.

What a great way of solidifying Ryback as Da Man, if they had him go over Cena in a title v title match (at a proper PPV). It's amazing the amount of new scenarios just one fresh face in the main event can bring.

• Paid Members
But who is The Rock going to face then? Punk V Rock is the match everyone wants to see and will have the best build up, with an already in built story.

Personally, I think they will still go with Rock v Punk. I'm merely throwing out a hypothetical here, not making a prediction. I was just a little surprised at the way most people in this thread are talking about Rock v Punk like its an absolute cert, when we know that plans have changed before, big plans involving their top stars. We know Vince came back a few weeks ago demanding improvements, that he wanted results or he wanted resignations. For all we know, there could have been a radical overhaul of the planned direction they were heading in.

As for the built in story thing, Punk gave The Rock the GTS once. WWE have forgotten and retconned bigger in the past. I've already given the Orton/Batista thing from 05. If you want more recent, more "this era"; Sheamus put Triple H on the shelf for a year, "nearly ended his career" from what we were led to believe. But when Trips got back, plans had changed and WWE wanted him to face The Undertaker at Mania. So Triple H got his revenge by Pedigree-ing Sheamus through the announce table in a nothing 5 minute segment. Exact same time frame, Wade Barrett and The Nexus screwed Undertaker out of the WWE Title and buried him alive. When he got back, he feuded with Triple H and never once even mentioned Nexus or Barrett. WWE have set plans in place before and just dropped them. Barrett burying Undertaker was a bigger act than Punk hitting The Rock with the GTS.

Maybe Punk is in the dog house over decking that fan the other week and they now want to squash him in the cell, and drop him from working with The Rock, denying him a nice payday. WWE have been stupidly stubborn before.

Its a real odd one, cause you would think that WWE would be smart enough to know that Ryback losing at this stage could so easily ruin him. So they must have a plan in place, but they have a bit of a tendency to fuck shit up. All I know is (like Cleetus put it so well earlier), when you catch lightning in a bottle, you dont pour it out in the hope that you'll catch it again. Regardless of how they end up handling getting the belt off him, Ryback needs to win at HITC. He needs it. Losing the belt in a dodgy fashion later down the line may not kill his momentum all that much, but not winning it, at the first hurdle against a guy like Punk, in an environment designed to ensure a clean finish may be fatal to him. Punk doesnt need the win as much as Ryback does. Sure, its not ideal to have Punk lose, but he doesnt need the win. He is the top heel in the company, and if he cant recover from losing one match in a year (to a monster like Ryback) then he doesnt belong in that spot to begin with really.

The best option for me would be to have Ryback win and then drop it again as late as possible, like the December PPV in dodgy fashion. At least losing that way gives him a chance. Ryback losing at the Cell, in any fashion, kills him. I dont think Punk needs to look "strong" going into his match with The Rock. Not in a typical sense anyway. He isnt a Triple H or Lesnar type heel. He is more like an Edge or Kurt Angle, in that he weasels his way out of title defences as opposed to going toe to toe with, and beating, his opponents. Rock doesnt exactly need the rub either. Ryback needs it way more. If they put the belt on Ryback and he crashes and burns, then so be it. But at least give him the chance. Not giving him the chance because Punk wants to be stronger going into the Rumble, when Punks "strength" isnt the selling point, to give the rub to a guy who doesnt need it, seems counter productive. Take the chance on Ryback, and take it now.

• Paid Members
It really doesn't necessarily have to be a massive dent. People get bored eventually of guys just winning all the time, he needs other dimensions to his act.

Nope. Just nope.

"But he can't talk"

"He always wins, it's boring"

"Losing won't hurt him"

For goodness sake, this is a man who has GOLDBERG chanted at him, lets at least try and remember that poor sods career, that was, for bloody ages, about him dominating loads and loads of people, never saying a word and having a win streak. Biggest thing wcw did for ages and ages, that. Imagine goldbergs career if he'd lost that first match to Hogan?

• Paid Members

^^^ That man know. Winners draw money. Its been that way since the 1900s, through to Bruno, all the way to Hogan, past Stone Cold and right up to John Cena. Nobody wants to by a stuffed bud buddy of Hercules (expect me).

The fact Ryback doesn't talk and doesn't do silly comedy makes his wins mean a lot more. Cena is about angles and promos leading to feuds where he comes out on top, CM Punk is about his interviews and getting heat on the top babyface, Sheamus is about having a laugh and hitting people with his finisher whether he wins or loses. Rey Mysterio is a super hero who over comes the odds. Ryback is about none of that. Ryback is about hammering his opponents and winning. Its his whole character. Fuck knows what will happen to him if he loses that.

EDIT: For those interested, Ryback and Punk have been working Lumberjack matches on the road with Ryback winning via DQ after Punk hits him with a belt that he doesn't sell, before smashing the Lumberjacks to bits and leaving Punk laying with that muscle buster move he does. Undertaker style protecting right there.

• Paid Members

Both those points in the above two posts are correct but taking the situation out of context. Ryback will have to lose eventually because eventually fickle wrestling fans will grow bored of it. That's a long way off. Long way off. People talking about him not winning the belt here are only talking about it from WWEs likely point of view that they want Punk - Rock at Rumble for the belt. And that putting the belt on him and shortly after taking it off him could be almost as shit as him losing at HIAC. It's all in the presentation though, it really is. And nobody is talking about Ryback losing clean. That's madness. This isn't the best example at all, but Austin didn't win his first big tests. Ok, that's an awful example as the situations are very different and he's a very different character. But my point is there's a million ways around it. I actually think Cenas words about not even being sure if Ryback cares about winning the title could be quite telling and have some significance. Not sure how I feel about that though.

Personally, i'm not against Ryback taking the belt at all. I think some of you think I am. Ideally, I'd love for him to have a longer chase for it and somehow not even get to Punk yet, tease a confrontation at Survivor Series then go on to storm through the Rumble and win in epic fashion. I'm ok with him winning but I'm concerned for him following that, because I fucking love me some Ryback and I don't know what they're going to do with him if he does win the belt because there doesn't seem to be anyone for him to face immediately after. Regarding the other main event lot, Punk without the belt can be fine. Rock/Ryback at Rumble could work and would be very interesting. But Punk and Cena in the Rumble and being the bulk of its story with Rock or Ryback being their potential opponent for Mania if they win could be great.

• Paid Members
It really doesn't necessarily have to be a massive dent. People get bored eventually of guys just winning all the time, he needs other dimensions to his act.

Nope. Just nope.

"But he can't talk"

"He always wins, it's boring"

"Losing won't hurt him"

For goodness sake, this is a man who has GOLDBERG chanted at him, lets at least try and remember that poor sods career, that was, for bloody ages, about him dominating loads and loads of people, never saying a word and having a win streak. Biggest thing wcw did for ages and ages, that. Imagine goldbergs career if he'd lost that first match to Hogan?

Goldbergs run and Rybacks run are very different. Goldberg was gradually facing more and more decent names and the crowd were eating it up more and more. Ryback has been facing nobodies for ages and the same nobodies. It's only since he's been aligned with people that matter that people have given a huge shit.

Also, imagine if Hogan wormed his way out and avoided that first confrontation and continued to until it built to a big, significant PPV shortly after. It's not the same situation at all, Goldbergs thing wasn't thrust in the middle of obvious other plans as far as I can remember. And nobody actually wants it to be appear like Ryback has fallen at his first hurdle. Surely that's obvious and obvious that would kill his momentum. The worry is where it goes after.

• Paid Members
It's not the same situation at all, Goldbergs thing wasn't thrust in the middle of obvious other plans as far as I can remember.

It was. Bret Hart vs Hollywood Hogan was always going to be the main event of Starrcade, and that would have done really good business (probably more than Nash vs Goldberg did, even though that did well). Goldberg vs Hogan was made 4 days in advance. It was announced on Thunder and Goldberg won it on Monday. And WCW's talent pool wasn't half as shit as WWE's currently is. The semi main event at tonights house shows were Primo and his mate vs Kane and Daniel Bryan. Even in 1995, you had Razor Ramon or Shawn Michaels in the semi main. Its never been this bad.

• Paid Members

He won it in July. At his hottest. WCW would have definitely fucked him up before they ever got a chance to put the belt on him if they didn't put the belt on him around that period. Sometimes you have to strike when its right. They'll probably find a way out of putting the belt on Ryback, but you can't play with the fans patience. Especially if you are as limited as Ryback is. WWE have done it loads of times over the years. They have something hot, and then put it off and by the time they feel its "his turns" the moment is completely gone.

• Paid Members

The problem, though, is that ryback is facing punk in a cell. I could live with a dq one but there won't be one on this pay per view. It won't happen as it can't happen. Punk literally running out of the arena is possible, but really, really bad. If ryback absolutely murders him in a cell and then loses it through a screw job later (not because of Brock, there's no way Brock does that match), it could work.

Although, to be honest, they'll probably just have him get hit by a car and have to forfeit the belt or something

Or, or, bloody hell they may do this, the three man band could run in an he feuds with them for a bit

Archived