Raw discussion. 15/10/12 ***Spoilers***

IANdrewDiceClay

He's a rookie, he's in his first year,

False.

As Ryback. How many people remember the few weeks of Skip Sheffield? He's an example of one of their best repackage attempts in years.

Skip Sheffield was around for six months, and they don't even pretend Ryback is a new person. Regardless of how unmemorable his previous stints were, Ryback - the character - is somebody who commentators have said was on season one of NXT and was part of Nexus, and they might even acknowledged he was on the old Tough Enough. So they can't do the "lol he's too new to know the rules" cop-out without him looking like a chump.

They could have him weakened by CM Punk's entrance music being too loud though.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a bullshit finish. Fans don't buy that crap anymore. You can't have someone win the belt on the PPV and have him give it up the next night rendering the previous nights event (that people actually paid for) meaningless. WCW used to do that. If the Rock wins it in January, in the build what if the fans just go "I'll watch Raw instead, they'll probably just find a way out of it". Especially in a Hell in the Cell. It would murder the Hell in the Cell gimmick as well.

You should either have him win it or don't have him win it. Everyone (the fans, the wrestlers and the promotion) loses having him win it and then changing it the next night.

What about this? Heyman gets WWE to agree to overturn the decision, but Ryback simply refuses to give the actual belt back. "If you want it, take it" type thing. Then you could have an intriguing situation where Punk is the champ, Rock is the contender, and Ryback has the belt.

Rock could persuade Ryback to give the belt back to Punk on the understanding that Ryback gets the first shot if Rock wins?

That's a bullshit finish. Fans don't buy that crap anymore. You can't have someone win the belt on the PPV and have him give it up the next night rendering the previous nights event (that people actually paid for) meaningless. WCW used to do that. If the Rock wins it in January, in the build what if the fans just go "I'll watch Raw instead, they'll probably just find a way out of it". Especially in a Hell in the Cell. It would murder the Hell in the Cell gimmick as well.

You should either have him win it or don't have him win it. Everyone (the fans, the wrestlers and the promotion) loses having him win it and then changing it the next night.

What about this? Heyman gets WWE to agree to overturn the decision, but Ryback simply refuses to give the actual belt back. "If you want it, take it" type thing. Then you could have an intriguing situation where Punk is the champ, Rock is the contender, and Ryback has the belt.

Rock could persuade Ryback to give the belt back to Punk on the understanding that Ryback gets the first shot if Rock wins?

This could lead into Punk unveiling the new title belt that's rumoured to have been made for ages. Although the story of "Yeah Ryback, you keep the belt, I have a new one now!" is shit.

• Paid Members

Kinda getting back to the point of keeping Punk strong going into his match with The Rock at the Rumble, what direction do people think Punk is going in AFTER his match with Rocky? Cause I was thinking about this today while day dreaming at work, and I think Punk is going to be a bit of a forgotten man/left out in the cold for Mania. If its going to be Cena/Rock, Lesnar/Triple H and Taker maybe not even appearing, then where does Punk fit in?

I remember years ago Kurt Angle was champion for most of the winter, then lost the belt to The Rock at the February PPV and had nothing to do at Mania, bar a rushed feud with Benoit. Now, I'm not knocking the quality of the matches he and Benoit put on throughout what would prove to be a lengthy feud, but initially it all felt really rushed and like Angle had been short changed after putting in such solid work. I think the same thing happened to him a year or two later, where after the February PPV, all the "big boys" were feuding with one another and Angle had a 3 week feud with Kane. Similar thing with Randy Orton little while back too. Had a brilliant year from an in ring point of view, made Christian look like a main eventer, put over Henry huge, good feuds/matches with Barrett and Ziggler, but Mania season rolled around and he was the forgotten man. Orton and Edge a couple of years before that were making up the numbers in an MITB match because they had nothing in the pipeline after their Rated-RKO v DX feud.

I fear for Punk that he might end up in the same kind of boat this year. Have a brilliant year, but end up doing fuck all on the big one. Its seems like everything for Punk right now is building up to the match with The Rock, but nothing beyond that. Surely, Rock is winning the belt, and Cena the Rumble, so those two can fight for the title at Mania? To me, this makes me think that Ryback will win the title at HIAC, get screwed out of it somehow at the December PPV losing it back to Punk, the Ryback will interfere in the Rumble match, costing Punk the title, who in turn cause's Ryback's elimination from the Rumble, and they eventually have a pointless first hour main event grudge match at Mania.

• Paid Members

If they can get Jeff Hardy back when his contract ends at the start of next year, they will probably do that. Although, before this whole Ryback thing, Sheamus and CM Punk were doing dark matches and angles on house shows, so that's definitely a program they have in the pipe line down the road. Punk is exactly the type of opponent Sheamus needs at the minute.

I see Punk's career like I saw Edges. Slipping into upper card feuds and main event feuds with out much problem.

Perhaps Shaemus vs. CM Punk at Mania? I can't think of anything else they could do.

I'm pretty certain I seen it rumoured somewhere that one possible plan for WrestleMania was:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

CM Punk vs The Undertaker

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Can't see how they would get to that from the current position though.

• Paid Members
Perhaps Shaemus vs. CM Punk at Mania? I can't think of anything else they could do.

I'm pretty certain I seen it rumoured somewhere that one possible plan for WrestleMania was:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

CM Punk vs The Undertaker

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Can't see how they would get to that from the current position though.

Obviously plans change, but the rumour I read (which is likely unfounded) is this is where the whole 'respect' element of Punk's character is going, to eventually lead to Taker at Mania. Pinch of salt required though, probably won't happen.

Archived