Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Suuuurely you have The Giant go over, destroy a few challengers in between then and Starrcade and then have Hogan take the belt back on the big show?

You smark. ;)

Ha, it was just such a strange finish, they cheated and still couldnt get the job done. I never expected Giant to beat him clean, but I was expecting a similar style mess at the end but have The Giant ultimately win the match. I feel the follow up match is pointless now, ive already seen the heel cheat and still couldnt win. 

• Paid Members

Dont know where to put this, but there's this new documentary called The Old Boys. And its both shit and really watchable at the same time. It seems to be made by people over here judging by the interviewers voice (and that most of the interviews tend to be from conventions and shows over here). Its got no real narrative. It jumps about with talking heads, but its still must watch for some of the bits. You'll be falling asleep hearing Roddy Piper talk about how people who comment on youtube videos are ruining his kids life (eh?) and then all of a sudden you'll be glued to footage of Davey Boy Smith's wedding, and seeing Dynamite Kid make a speech and stuff (Dynamite Kid is less of a cunt and more of a pissed uncle at a wedding in this footage). Then Brutus Beefcake finishes telling you how he main evented in front of millions (he really said that), an audio recording of Owen Hart prank calling someones hotel room, followed by the Bulldog doing an indian accent will come on screen. This film would have been the most pointless thing ever, had it not been for Georgia Smith's involvement. She provides loads of footage of her Dad, which you probably wont find anywhere else. Stuff you dont expect to see in a low budget interviews stuck together type documentary.

A few more things: it makes you amazed that Demolition Ax and Smash were ever wrestlers. They look more like domino players than wrestlers. Just sitting there in their jumpers. All the wrestlers are then asked to name a shocking thing that has happened in the business. This is to lead into a section about Owen Hart's fall, but Bret Hart mentions Montreal as the most shocking thing. So weird. There's a section on virgil, and this woman from England with her son is getting hounded by Virgil and Virg asks her "how about a wrestling picture" and the bitch hilariously says "he cant remember you." Virgil looks destroyed, but in fairness to him he got his sale. Virgil has no respect from anyone it seems. Scott Hall comes to his gimmick table just to mock him for selling pictures that dont feature JUST Virgil. There's pictures of Andre, Dibiase ... and Virgil. There's Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash .... and Virgil. There's Piper and Virgil. But no Virgil on his own. Then a fan comes up and asks Virgil to take a picture. And when I say "take a picture", I mean he wanted Virgil to take a picture of the fan and Ted Dibase. Virgil is holding one of those pound shop disposable cameras and asking the bloke to say "cheese." Zero respect for the V-man.

Another thing I thought was odd, Dynamite Kid was asked his thoughts on the Davey Boy Smith's death, and he said "I didnt know about if for ages after" or something. That's bollocks. He closed his website the very same day because of all the "bitter wheelchair cunt" style messages people were posting on his comment board. He knew as soon as it happened. Dynamite was living on the internet at the time.

Something I found interesting (and probably one of the few on earth who gives a fuck), but there's footage of Harry Smith and Davey Boy tagging in the last year of the Bulldog's life. And I always wondered if Smith stuck with jeans and Doc Martins as he had in his final WWF run. Well for the other 3 people who care, Davey Boy was back wearing his late 1996/early 97 long red and blue tights. The ones he wore in the European title tournament final. Bet you glad you found that out today.

Well worth a look.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Will need to have a look. I presume it was the guys that made Old Boys that had the stall at London Wrestling Convention. I intended to have a look and probably would have got a DVD but time was tight and I got engaged in talking with the Kayfabe Commentaries vendor when I bought a DVD. One for the list.

• Paid Members

Watched the 2006 Royal Rumble. It's still as horribly cheap and exploitative as ever. So unnecessary too given how popular Rey was. The skit where Rey pulls number 2 out of the tumbler, looks up and accuses Eddie of messing with him is one of the most stomach churning things I've seen. I still felt it.

The Rumble is alright. Amazing how many entrants I'd completely forgotten existed. Trevor Murdoch. Orlando Jordan. The Mexicools. Even Eugene if not for the mention on here recently. Oh, and Shelton Benjamin's Momma. WTF was that all about?

Speaking of the Mexicools, Psychosis dominating Rey and Trips early in the match is one of those baffling situations you rarely get in wrestling. JBL losing clean to the Boogeyman is another.

RVD is over like a motherfucker on his return from injury. Pity they didn't capitalise on that for months.

It's such an odd show because the Rumble is in the middle of it when you'd think you'd finish on the babyface triumph. Then Cena wins the world title in the next match but that's not last either. Instead it finishes on the very mediocre Angle/Henry match, with a shitty roll-up, just to set up an Undertaker magic show. That never went anywhere either.

Not the best.

As a kid watching this when it was aired on a monday night back in 88, i was over the moon that Hulkster stayed in the ring and celebrated, he was my favourite wrestler and Macho Man my second.

I agree.  I think with hindsights we think he was stealing the limelight, but to me when he handed the title over to the Warrior, it signaled a changing of the guard and him passing the torch as opposed to taking eyes of Warrior.  Plus it has happened since then as a storytelling device, loser congratulations winner to show no hard feeling and is often done in babyface vs babyface matches.  

Edited by boshealecta

• Paid Members

Suuuurely you have The Giant go over, destroy a few challengers in between then and Starrcade and then have Hogan take the belt back on the big show?

You smark. ;)

Ha, it was just such a strange finish, they cheated and still couldnt get the job done. I never expected Giant to beat him clean, but I was expecting a similar style mess at the end but have The Giant ultimately win the match. I feel the follow up match is pointless now, ive already seen the heel cheat and still couldnt win. 

No, I meant you calling him "the big show" when he was still in WcW. Bad joke, I know

Raw needs to have it's colour scheme changed from black and red to, well, anything else. It's been the same for 22 years now and just looks stale as fuck

Also why do they persist on using Summer Rae for anything, her and Ziggler are the worst ones in the company for looking like they're playing wrestler, though she's nowhere near as bad as Ziggler obviously

Edited by Dr.PeterVenkman

• Paid Members

The colour scheme is well established with the brand and red and black are good strong colours, so I wouldn't change that at all, but I certainly think it's time for a visual overhaul. The Raw logo hasn't changed in years and the big LED screen thing is really boring now. As impressive a piece of equipment that it is, I don't think I've seen anybody say they prefer it to any of their older, simpler stage sets. I'd much prefer something which framed the wrestlers as they enter and put the focus on them, rather than a wall of flashy images.

The colour scheme is well established with the brand and red and black are good strong colours, so I wouldn't change that at all, but I certainly think it's time for a visual overhaul. The Raw logo hasn't changed in years and the big LED screen thing is really boring now. As impressive a piece of equipment that it is, I don't think I've seen anybody say they prefer it to any of their older, simpler stage sets. I'd much prefer something which framed the wrestlers as they enter and put the focus on them, rather than a wall of flashy images.

It certainly adds to my frustration watching it. You have no idea its 2015 while watching. It could be anywhere from 2008 to 2015. I'm not sure if that would help. A cohesive show would feel a bit better and characters I was interested in

RE Ziggler. I keep thinking he needs to be like Edge. As in he needs an overhaul. He's just the same guy he's always been. A character change is needed, like Edge when he was stuck trying to get to that main event spot and people weren't keen on him. He became the Rated R-Superstar and the rest is history. It's probably too far gone for Ziggler now but I think he needs something like that. Pot Noodle Superstar or something...

• Paid Members

I’d be very surprised if WWE changed the colour scheme of RAW from red any time soon. It makes sense. “Red raw.” Raw, you don’t think of any other colour but red. It’s well established, just like you think of blue when you think of SmackDown.

Slightly off-topic, this is my all-time favourite RAW logo:

Wwe-raw-logo.jpg