Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I've missed your mid 00s Raw reviews, NEWM. Keep them coming.

I remember reading that WWE had no plans to have Big Dave turn like he did, and were amazed by the response it got on this show, so were clever enough to go with it. Is that true, or some internet/Power Slam bollocks? It's one of the greatest story they've booked.

• Paid Members

I have always thought the Batista push was always meant to be for Orton, but the trigger was pulled to early, and I've always thought they pulled the trigger early at SummerSlam as a two finger salute to Brock by making Orton a younger champion. Though looking back I doubt they'd risk booking and business plans just to take a little jab at him.

I reckon the Bastista thing was a bit of both, they sensed the reactions early on, decided to run with it and came up with a brilliant series of angles to make it happen. The slow burn face turn for Big Dave is WWE at their creative best over the past ten years imo. Timing was perfect- had they done it too little or too late then I'd wager Batista may have not gone on to become as big as he did. I wasn't much of a fan at the time, but I'd love to see him back now I re- watch him.

But the above is purely my interpretation, perhaps someone here knows the true story here?

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Putting the title on Orton might not have been that bad at the time but turning him face was woefully premature, and they handled it worse than David James handling a Man United corner with Andy Cole unmarked.

Allowing himself to let the rest of Evolution set him up like that on the post-SummerSlam Raw made him look stupid. Running away from Hunter after spitting him in face made him look like a coward. Then dropping the title to Hunter in his first defence made him look like a loser. Nothing worth cheering there.

I have always thought the Batista push was always meant to be for Orton, but the trigger was pulled to early, and I've always thought they pulled the trigger early at SummerSlam as a two finger salute to Brock by making Orton a younger champion. Though looking back I doubt they'd risk booking and business plans just to take a little jab at him.

I reckon the Bastista thing was a bit of both, they sensed the reactions early on, decided to run with it and came up with a brilliant series of angles to make it happen. The slow burn face turn for Big Dave is WWE at their creative best over the past ten years imo. Timing was perfect- had they done it too little or too late then I'd wager Batista may have not gone on to become as big as he did. I wasn't much of a fan at the time, but I'd love to see him back now I re- watch him.

But the above is purely my interpretation, perhaps someone here knows the true story here?

I would agree entirely with the first paragraph, and pretty much the rest of it too, but mainly the young champ bit. I always thought it was just to take Brock's record from him while they could as someone that promising, that young come round so infrequently. Orton arguably looked like he could be the next major star back then.

I remember reading that WWE had no plans to have Big Dave turn like he did, and were amazed by the response it got on this show, so were clever enough to go with it. Is that true, or some internet/Power Slam bollocks? It's one of the greatest story they've booked.

I've always thought it was originally meant to be Orton getting his revenge on Triple H at WrestleMania, but that plans changed when Orton's face turn was fucked up and that Batista thing happened. Quite late on, when they'd really started forging ahead with Batista, I was still expecting it to be a triple threat at Mania.

Watched the nWo - The Revolution Documentary today. It was decent but ultimately it seemed like a missed opportunity. Its a retread of stuff we've heard before mostly from the WCW DVD, but the same interviews that we've seen of Bischoff and Scott Hall are really disappointing. I just wish there was a bit more probing to the thing. An hour isnt a long time and there isnt much more than the NWO was great and different then it got shit etc. I'd have liked some more opinion and general feelings about how it felt at the time, about booking decisions and other stuff like that, but ah well.

While Kevin Nash, Booker T, Cody Rhodes and Joe Hennig seem very cool and decent, Matt Striker is the biggest knob on the planet, i get angry just hearing him talk. Also Billy Kidman what on earth happened to you buddy?

• Paid Members
Matt Striker is the biggest knob on the planet, i get angry just hearing him talk.

To this day I have never worked out how Matt Striker has a job. He's the most annoying, charisma-less, tedious dickhead they have on the payroll. Totally awful in every possible way.

Matt Striker is the biggest knob on the planet, i get angry just hearing him talk.

To this day I have never worked out how Matt Striker has a job. He's the most annoying, charisma-less, tedious dickhead they have on the payroll. Totally awful in every possible way.

I'm still thankful he's stopped calling Layla 'Moy Liddle English Maffin' in a really over the top British accent. What a twat.

Was reading the Wiki entry on Andre the Giant. Apparantly because he was so big when he was a kid he couldn't fit on the school bus so Samuel Beckett used to drive him to school. Random.

That bloke was always going back in time to help folk out, a true gent!

• Paid Members

Same reason why they keep Josh Matthews and Howard Finkle around. People hate them and it probably passes the time when they get fucked with.

Poor Howard only get's fucked with by Vince and his men though. On one of those Formerly Creative podcasts, the writers tell a story of once Howard Finkle had a little testimonial type event in New York that they'd put on in his honour because it was the anniversary of when he first began announcing. He was supposed to be dead excited and emotional to go and soak in the appreciation of it all. So when Vince found out he phoned Finkle and told him they needed him on a house show even though they hadn't used him in ages. Not only that, they waited until he was on the flight to go to New York before telling him. They all pissed themselves by all accounts, because they knew Finkle was loyal enough to cancel. Vince and Kevin Dunne seem to hate him. Its really fucking weird. His Hall of Fame video was an example of it. All the clips were him falling over and being made out to be a buffoon, as opposed to this legendary announcer who had been employed since the 70s. He's a source of amusement. I imagine Matt Striker will take that role when Howard dies of Vince putting something in his food for a laugh.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay