Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Moderators
I think he unintentionally said "Summerfest" instead of SummerSlam which made me chuckle. When CM Punk dropped that line in a year later though I cringed. If anyone did it I wouldn't; I just think Punk tries too hard sometimes.

That was Jeremy Piven, who was shit.

Yeah but thats still just one side. A GM who is desperate for everyone to love him, will go out of his way to put on (what he thinks is) an amazing show, easily influenced by everyone he comes into contact with and could do something crazy and unexpected at any time. All being done in an entertaining way where you can't help but like him.

Well I think its better than another yet another cookie cutter Heel GM or boring Face one who does nothing

That was Adamle as GM, pretty much. Adamle Originals and everything.

I think he unintentionally said "Summerfest" instead of SummerSlam which made me chuckle. When CM Punk dropped that line in a year later though I cringed. If anyone did it I wouldn't; I just think Punk tries too hard sometimes.

That was Jeremy Piven, who was shit.

So it was! Oops. I still think CM tries too hard to be witty though.

• Paid Members

Just happened across the full Donahue with Vince and Meltzer as guests right in the middle of the steroid scandal.

Maan, I'd never seen that before. Homophobia running wild with Donahue making alot of the GAY sexual allegations and a crowd member even asking "what percentage of wrestlers are gay." It's really interesting how uncomfortable Vince is, especially when you know in hindsight how full of shit he is. Him sat next to Meltzer makes it even better. Bonus points for Billy Graham and Bruno grinding axes like there's no tomorrow.

• Paid Members

Been watching a lot of the old WWF stuff the last two weeks, and here are some random thoughts I had.

I have long (and vocally) admired Bret Hart's promo prior to the title match at Survivors 92 as one of my favourites ever in terms of realism, and talking frankly to an opponent about how they're going to lose without yelling or threatening to kill them or break their legs or something ridiculous. Well, his interview with Mean Gene from the Saturday Nights Main Event just before said Survivors runs it close, listening to Bret talk about the dungeon and working his way up. Actually, I love the confrontation with Shawn after his match as well. Those two had great chemistry and I loved it here when it was the calm, confident WWF Champion against the cocky upstart Intercontinental Champion in love with himself.

The late 80s really was a golden era for themes. Everyone knows about the ones that were just cracking pieces of music - Jake, Demolition, Warrior. And there are those that just perfectly captured the style or character of the act - Rude's "Stripper" music, Rockers' energy, Perfect's theme that just made you think of "excellence." And several others that were just catchy and made people pop - Beefcake's theme, the Harts'. But there really needs to be more love for the themes of Strike Force, the Powers of Pain, the Blue Blazer and (don't hate me) even the Rooster's was catchy.

Listening to Lawler talking to Vince prior to a WWF title match about the feeling of nausea in your stomach prior to "the biggest match of your life" makes me realize in a way I never had, that he used to be awesome at bringing his experience as a wrestler into his commentary, and adding to the feeling of importance surrounding the big matches. Nowadays, not so much.

And finally, at the Rumble '95 PPV, Todd Pettingill deserves credit for his professionalism when interviewing Pam Anderson. He does a very convincing portrayal of a man *not* spunking in his pants.