Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

There was a Canadian girl at my college. She had no idea who Bret Hart was either. And this was about 2001. Only a few years removed from the Hart Foundation and all that. Same as a Canadian lecturer we had. In fact every Canadian I've ever came across in real life doesnt know Bret Hart. That's a real burst of the bubble, when you believe WWF hype. You just think "I bet they have statues of Tony Halme in Finland."

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Met three Canadians ever and none of them knew Bret, and not coincidentally, none of them really know me either as a result. That gambit destroyed any potential long lasting relationship, for sure. National hero, my arse.

Mind, I told that story to Savio Vega and he was in tears.

I've spoken to a few people from Memphis who didn't know who Jerry Lawler is, either. It's funny that there's still a kind of geographic kayfabe that exists. Wrestlers will try any hook to bullshit themselves up. Like Derrick Bateman saying in interviews that he was unknown in the states but mobbed like the Beatles on international tours because NXT was on Sky.

People that have never watched or took notice of wrestling have only heard of Hulk Hogan, Cena and The Rock (because of his movies) and probably The Undertaker and Stone Cold.

Yeah, but it's easy enough to read a wrestler's book and believe that he was a proper household name in his own town/country. Here, I feel like people would recognise British Bulldog from a picture -- at least if they were kids (or had kids) in the early nineties.

• Paid Members

It's a matter of time and distance. If you asked anyone from Memphis from the late 1970s to the mid 1990s they'd know who Lawler was. Ditto with Hart and Canada during the late 80s and early 90s. But it's been two decades since the last of the territories coughed and died, and WWE/WCW never had the penetration local TV did, and there's far more to do now.