Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

its got to be a rib. there is no commentary via ear pieces at live events.

it wouldn't be down to wwe it would be down to the arenas to input devices that could pick up the commentary, wwe would just output the commentary to these devices  

arenas  wont put them in as no other event would need an ear piece for commentary. maybe ufc or boxing but that's about it

I know they do at snooker events as I went once last year to see Ronnie play at The Crucible. It was around a fiver for an ear piece which goes in to one ear and which you could tune into the commentary. But as mentioned above, I'm not sure if it can be just set up at any venue on the fly?

Edited by icke83

They do. You can get a radio earpiece that has the commentary.

Yep calling bullshit on that one. I've been to RAW TV tapings three times, in consecutive years, and never has this ever been remotely seen to be a thing. How would they get them back if this was a thing? unless you put some money down or something, it'd be a massive error on the arenas/wwe's part to let people walk off with ear pieces in. 

• Paid Members

Caught the end of something called Fighting Spirit Wrestling last night, description just says it's the best matches from NJPW and CMLL. No idea how recent it is or that. The commentary's English so I'll keep giving it a go. Every weeknight on the Extreme Sport channel.

It says CMLL in the blurb, but it's actually AAA. To give an idea about the age of the footage, the first match on yesterday's show was Texano Jr. vs. Blue Demon Jr. from AAA 'Rey de Reyes' in March 2013.

EDIT: ... and the other 2 matches (Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Shinsuke Nakamura and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Karl Anderson) were both group stage bouts from the final day of NJPW's 2012 G1 Climax tournament.

So, probably a random mix.

Just watching it now. I do like Alex Shane, but the commentary on this show is abysmal.

Edited by Big Benny HG

A radio earpiece link might be doable for WWE events in the UK, but they would likely be relying on the arena supplying most of the tech to comply with UK & EU rules. There are several ways to approach this, some stadiums and arenas in the country use transmissions either on a very low powered (0.3W maximum) FM broadcast transmitter specially licenced for the venue, another alternative is to use a licence-free part of the spectrum (e.g. 863MHz), though you might require several flea-powered transmitters to achieve adequate coverage. For larger, outdoor venues running events over several days e.g. music festivals, they might get an RSL FM licence for the course of the event. At some other sports venues they have special MW licences where they can broadcast up to 28 days in a year, they are often seen for football clubs and racing circuits but they're now a dying breed.

While it would not be expensive for the WWE to purchase a business radio licence in the UK and get someone to manufacture earpieces tuned to their licenced frequency, I'd say it would not be worth much to them to do that over here.

• Paid Members

According to the Observer, Alberto Del Rio's contract is worth a downside of $1,450,000 a year. What palent are these fuckers on where he is worth that much? Kevin Nash wasnt even on that when he was peddling WCW for every penny they had. I bet the wrestlers are going mental privately that Del Rio is on that. I get if he was missed in any way when he was sacked, but was he really? It wasnt like when Punk left or Daniel Bryan went down with an injury.

I love that he's been brought in to be this big latino star, so they put him with the guy whose previous gimmick was complaining about Mexican immigrants. I mean, I'm sure they've got some big payoff planned, but fucking hell. If the idea is to win back the hispanic audience, and the first thing they see is him cuddling up to Southern Xenophobe Zeb Colter, it's hardly going to bring them back in droves, is it?

Are new contract downsides going to get inflated as a result of the Network? Have they ever made it known how people get paid (or don't) as a result of Network subs? And if they don't, are they just gonna start getting flat (but bigger) salaries with things like house show extras, merch etc as bonuses on top. That ADR wage is fucking nutso otherwise.