The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Normally I'd be opposed to an immediate rematch - I don't think Rousey should get one against Holm yet - but the nature of Tate's win over Holm was such that I'd be in favour of one. The fact that Tate had to pull that sub out of her albeit lovely arse vs the fact that Holm dominated her for most of the match and was on her way to a points win is fertile ground on which to promote such a match.

If Shevchenko's such a similar size to JJ, I wonder why she's competing at BW? Surely she's at a size disadvantage against Holm?

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They probably aren't the same, having never seen the girl but she might be a good bit bigger naturally thicker.

Cain is much smaller than Jon Jones or even Luke Rockhold, as far as reach and height are concerned, nobodies asking for him to move down.

Joanna has talked about moving to 125 if they ever create a belt as she wants to be a two time champion, she's never mentioned moving to Bantamweight.

This has got to be taken with the biggest pinch of salt in all of history but the Sun is reporting that Mayweather/McGregor superfight is set to be announced, other red tops have picked up on it also.

Lets play make believe for a moment, if it does get announced would UFC want any part of it? Would they want Connor wearing the UFC logo on his trunks or something? Or would they just not want to be involved full stop?

It'd make similar money to Paq/Mayweather if not more. So I'd be surprised if UFC didn't want some of that cash, were happy for their biggest star to fuck off on his own accord, very likely lose further momentum as a PPV draw after a huge bust up over promotional shit etc. 

• Paid Members

Why are people even entertaining this? 

I said exactly the same thing about the rumours of Axl Rose joining AC/DC. For that reason alone I'm waiting til' the dust clears on this shit before commenting.

“Floyd is calling the shots. It’s strictly boxing and Conor will have to lose roughly 25lbs"

Surely McGregor is not that stupid. In a straight boxing bout, Floyd would dispatch of McGregor with little bother. In an MMA bout, McGregor would win fairly quickly, provided he went for the takedown right away. 

I think Floyd is grandstanding. This rumour is a ploy to build up anticipation for his next comeback. 

• Paid Members

That's exactly what I think it is Jim. Floyd's a shrewd cunt. He'll have seen how much attention McGregor's got with this retirement stuff recently and he'll use it to his advantage to maximise the attention on him. Then he'll announce he's coming back to fight another Berto type opponent. Bag himself another win and that 50-0 record, plus a chunk of change for his trouble, then he'll fuck off again.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I made that point to colleagues. McGregor would probably do it because he's mad for the big cash. However, UFC don't care much for co-promotion and if they did they'll demand some crazy percentage of the revenue, like they always do.

Why are people even entertaining this?

I said exactly the same thing about the rumours of Axl Rose joining AC/DC. For that reason alone I'm waiting til' the dust clears on this shit before commenting.

Same case of Leicester winning the premier league title this year to.

Amit Khan was saying he would like to fight MMA next and wants to fight Conar, just happens to be in the biggest week of his pro career, trying to drum up more interest.

MMA media can be fucking annoying, they drag interviews over about 5 articles, it's all Dana, Ronada, Conar or whoever said this and post a clickbate column and repeat it using other quotes over several days.

• Paid Members

The Floyd/McGregor thing is everywhere today, im taking it all with a pinch of salt, these stories tend to surface every now and then, it is surprising how many legit news sources are posting it though.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some actual discussion between Mayweather's people and McGregor about it. Mayweather would probably be seeing it as an easy way to make a shitload of money, going 50-0 and schooling MMA's biggest star in the process. And McGregor would be all in because, even though Floyd would take most of the money, it'd still be a bigger payday than anything the UFC have for him.

There probably has been some discussion, and that's probably why some legit media are running the story because there's probably some small grain of truth that it's been talked about at some level.

But it's never going to happen. McGregor is under UFC contract and the UFC are very, very, very unlikely to let him do it. And if they did, which they won't, they'd want such a big cut of the pie it wouldn't be realistic. Mayweather would want the considerable lions share of the money generated from it. And he'd want full control of everything from the gloves to the size of the ring to where the fight takes place to where it airs to the promotion of it. You couldn't ask for more of a clusterfuck of a power struggle of personalities and egos. Expecting to sit Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor and Dana White in a room together and they somehow all agree to come to terms is asking for the impossible.

Archived