The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But Jacare lost his last fight, the carry on with Romero doesn't change that. Bisping has won three straight, including against the former best fighter in the world. You'd be hard-pressed to look past Bisping for that opportunity of a title shot, plus it'd do pretty decent numbers I'd imagine.

• Paid Members

Give Bisping the nod myself.

He's in a better position now than he has been in years post Anderson and it's an easy number considering Bisping won't have too much longer left. He's a decent draw, will sell the shit out of the fight.

If Rockhold wins and Belfort wins I can see him trying to get a fight with Vitor, he feels cheated and usually mentions it in every interview, to be honest I don't really care about it but he obviously does, so who knows what would happen.

• Paid Members

As much as I would like to see Bisping given a shot, I think it's just bad for the guy's health putting him up against Rockhold again. Rockhold mauled him last time around and Rockhold has gone onto another level since then. 

The problem with Bisping is he just isn't elite level in comparison to Weidman, Rockhold, Romero and perhaps Jacare. Depending how Vitor looks after this weekend off the sauce then I may include him in that list too. 

• Paid Members

anyone heard this?

it's a recent podcast with Dada 5000 regarding the Kimbo fight, his recovery and all that stuff. It's a good listen and despite the fact that it was one of the worst fights in the history of anything, Dada still manages to spin it to benefit himself, he's a great promo no doubt, the guy needs to be a pro wrestler. He makes some wild accusations about being spiked in the fight and that pretty much all of Kimbo's backyard fights were fixed, even says that Houston Alexander was paid off to lose when Kimbo fought him in the UFC (given the fight i'm inclined to think that that could be true). Well worth a listen.

even says that Houston Alexander was paid off to lose when Kimbo fought him in the UFC (given the fight i'm inclined to think that that could be true). 

I'm calling bullshit in his claim, but he's picked the right fight to cast aspersions on.

Alexander fought an alien-style. He just circled endlessly for a large part of the fight. Also, Slice did have top-control over Alexander at one point, not something you would expect given Kimbo's lack of grappling skills. It also went the distance, so there would have been no requirement that either took a dive. If the UFC were indeed inclined to fix fights, they would want to cover their bases. Accusations of fight-fixing in the past have been made when a fighter gives up guard too easy or falls to the ground without much contact. 

However, I'm inclined to believe that this was due to Alexander's limitations as a fighter. By 2009, it was clear that Alexander was out of his depth in the big leagues. If a mid or lower tier fighter didn't trade with him, they could beat him handily. 

If there is a fight fix, it would be a third party fixing the fight and then one or both guys knowing about it.

The UFC would never put their company on the line for Kimbo numbers, I think he fought one more fight and was gone.

You might get a lower tier guy and offer him double his purse and put on a big bet, like has happened in Tennis recently but most top tier athletes would say no to taking a dive and almost no league would want any part in it.

If there is a fight fix, it would be a third party fixing the fight and then one or both guys knowing about it.

The UFC would never put their company on the line for Kimbo numbers, I think he fought one more fight and was gone.

You might get a lower tier guy and offer him double his purse and put on a big bet, like has happened in Tennis recently but most top tier athletes would say no to taking a dive and almost no league would want any part in it.

Solid point. If the fix was in, the call would have probably come from Kimbo's camp - with the offer of money for Alexander's cooperation. 

In the Zuffa era, I've yet to see proof of the UFC meddling with the outcome of a fight. The most dodgy thing I can recall was when they were accused of brushing one of Belfort's tests under the rug. I believe before his fight with Jones. Forrest Griffin's post-fight failure in 2009 also raised my eyebrows, as the UFC didn't acknowledge it for quite some time after it occurred. 

As proven with Elite XC and Cage Rage, attempts to fix a fight usually leaked out. It's more trouble for the UFC than it's worth to tamper with fights. 

I remember someone putting big money on Hominick to beat Yves Edwards at the US Vs Canada show and there was a bit of suspicion. Hominick was largely unknown out if Canada (was moving up from 145 as well) and Yves had been top 10 for a good few years but looking at the aftermath Yves Edwards lost a lot of fights straight after and was on the regional circuit for a while and Mark H ominick had a decent enough UFC/WEC run.

• Paid Members

Solid point. If the fix was in, the call would have probably come from Kimbo's camp - with the offer of money for Alexander's cooperation.

Yeh, that was the extent of Dada's accusations. Nothing he said implied the UFC was in on it.

There's still one major hole in DaDa's claims

In losing, Alexander killed off his UFC career. Especially in the way he lost. If it was fixed, they designed the fight to make Alexander look like crap. If true, Kimbo's camp must have made a generous offer, as the rewards were there if Alexander impressed. If Alexander would have won, there was an excellent chance he would get another payday in the UFC, and perhaps one more after that. 

I'm still calling bullshit, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was true. With the shifting betting lines before the Kimbo vs DaDa fight, it's possible that fight was meant to be pre-arranged. It's possible that after information surfaced online that the fix could be in - they decided to fight honestly instead. I'm sure most wish they would have fixed it. Surely one of them taking an early dive would have been better than what we got!

Archived