The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

Thanks for the heads up Egg Shen. I've watched the first 25 mins and it's very different to what I've seen before.

The huge difference is the incredible home video footage that I've never seen before and I've seen quite a bit of stuff on the foxcatcher story.

The big thing so far is no Mark Schultz. He may turn up later but I doubt it.

I watched it last night.

Not only was Mark Schultz not interviewed, he is not shown in any of the home video footage from the time which made me think he had insisted he not be involved in this documentary in any way.

That or all the home video footage was recorded after Mark left Foxcatcher Farm anyway.

I found this one as interesting, if not more, than the 30 for 30 one.

Some of the same wrestlers who were interviewed for the ESPN doc got interviewed again for this one, but the most fascinating stuff there was involving Dan Chaid and a Bulgarian wrestler Valentin somebody.

They went into detail about how the first of the Foxcatcher wrestlers that Du Pont threatened at gunpoint (only a month or two before he did it to Schultz) was Chaid.

Believing Chaid was conspiring against him, Du Pont parked a removals van outside Chaid's house on the estate and told him to clear off. Then he burned down the building next to it to really get the message across. Amazing stuff!

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, I finished it over the weekend as well Dopper. I personally think it's the most definitive telling of the Foxcatcher story so far, and probably will ever be. 

Obviously Mark Schultz's omission is an odd one, but as you say, they must be focussing on the time from when David arrived to the farm. Mark's story does add more depth to the overall telling, but most of the events really revolve around David's time on the farm. 

I'm so pleased they went into detailing the relationship between David and Valentin too, and it's incredible that one of the wrestler's (Valentin) ended up inheriting Du Pont's entire estate. That guy must live with real guilt whilst sitting among his luxuries. 

• Paid Members

Holly Holm Vs. Valentina Shevchenko is the main event for UFC on FOX 20

Who?

She's 1-1 in the UFC and ranked 9. That's a weird match to me. Holly is massive and coming off a title loss.

Looking at the roster though, I guess it's just a case of everyone else being booked. Wouldn't Raquel Pennington be a better shout?

• Paid Members

yeh, guess the UFC didn't fancy a another go around. Glad they are keeping Holm busy though, some people will claim that Holm should sit it out and wait on the Rousey rematch but who knows when that may happen, and there's good chance that the UFC might throw Ronda in with the winner of Tate/Nunes. Holm/Shevechnko is a quality stylistic fight too.

Glover Teixeira/Rumble Johnson co-headlines that card, ooooh shit!

• Paid Members

yeh, guess the UFC didn't fancy a another go around. Glad they are keeping Holm busy though, some people will claim that Holm should sit it out and wait on the Rousey rematch but who knows when that may happen, and there's good chance that the UFC might throw Ronda in with the winner of Tate/Nunes. Holm/Shevechnko is a quality stylistic fight too.

Glover Teixeira/Rumble Johnson co-headlines that card, ooooh shit!

I guess the UFC are hoping Holm's name alone attracts the viewers for the card as it seems an odd fight to headline a FOX card, especially considering that who she's fighting is basically an unknown to US audiences. Both are coming off losses too. 

Not sure how it's above Johnson/Teixeira?

That said, as you say stylistically it's a very good fight. 

• Paid Members

As much as I hate these internet mma personalities FrontRowBrian has a pretty good track record for inside scoops, he's not just somebody who talks bull. When big stories break its always worth keeping an eye on his twitter

Sorry for the double post but FRB is an absolute bullshitter. I've lost count the amount of lies that's come from the guy. Two perfect examples of his bullshit were when Rousey fought Zingano, he said his sources had told him one of them failed a pre fight drugs test, and then the fight between Mir and Big Foot, again the same thing.  

His sources are basically calling his buddy Sonnen up begging for some inside scoop. 

• Paid Members

Wasn't Holm ranked number 9 when she beat Rousey?

Yes, but at the very least she was undefeated and had a better record than 1-1.

• Paid Members

Shevchenko is a really good kickboxer from memory? Im pretty excited for this fight. Also, she lost a decision to Nunes in her last fight - Nunes is fighting Tate next, so Holm vs Schevchenko is fairly logical

• Paid Members

Shevchenko is a really good kickboxer from memory?

Yes! She's got a 56-2 kickboxing record and holds a win over Joanna Jedrzejczyk. She's also a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and has a bit of pro boxing and judo experience. She beat Sarah Kaufman on very short notice in her UFC debut. She lost to Amanda Nunes last time out on points (most who lose to Nunes get finished) but Nunes is a beast herself.

I think Shevchenko's a bit of a darkhorse actually. Her and Holm should be a great fight. Probably the two best pure strikers in the women's 135 division.

• Paid Members

Fair enough. I need to check out more than just MMA stats, it seems. Although I'd argue a win over JJ is not so impressive when you consider Shevchenko's a BW.

• Paid Members

The win over Jedrzejczyk was in a kickboxing fight, so I'm just using that as an example of her standup skill. I get your point on the size thing but it's not like there's a massive difference. Shevchenko is 5'5" with a 67" reach. Jedrzejczyk is 5'6" with a 65" reach. She beat Jedrzejczyk three times from what I've read as well. She also beat Caley Reece in the amateurs (Reece went on to be undefeated as a pro) and she's a multi-time Muay Thai world champion. Her striking skills can't really be disputed.

MMA is a different story of course. But really, who else should Holm be fighting, if not an immediate rematch with Tate. Which, to be honest, I'm getting sick of the immediate rematch merry go round anyway. There's no opponent that sticks out head and shoulders above the rest as an obvious one for Holm, other than a Rousey rematch and Rousey's return is still up in the air for now. Holm's never been the type to sit out and wait. She likes to stay active. Hence why she even fought Tate in the first place, when she could've easily sat and waited for the money rematch with Ronda. So if not Tate or Rousey, Shevchenko is a perfectly logical choice IMO.

She's likely going to have to fight again after the Shevchenko fight before getting another title shot as well, because you just know they're going to throw Ronda in with the Tate vs Nunes winner. I wouldn't be surprised if Holm beats Shevchenko then ends up fighting Cyborg at 140 next while Tate/Nunes/Rousey plays out.

Archived