The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Necro Butcher has to have some kind of long lasting mental damage, some of the damage he took to his head has been horrific. Whereas some deathmatch wrestlers would take damage across the back or whatnot, Necro's thing was that he took ridiculous head shots, he's fucking insane.

...and yes, loads of fun to be had with Phil Baroni's fightography. Cut out the last couple of years but Baroni's original UFC run and his Pride run are great, Baroni was never the best but he always threw down, even in the fights he got smashed something mental usually happened.

Best Eva!

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why it's being portrayed by some as a blunder from Holly Holm. Was she meant to just sit back, put her career on hold and wait till Rousey confirmed she was coming back for a rematch somewhere down the line? She just beat the best, so no doubt she would fancy herself against anyone in that division and so she should have.

Yeah, I agree. I see nothing wrong with that, you're not going to become a champion without that kind of mindset. Tate has been extra annoying lately and seems to be trying to take Rousey's spot amongst Dana's cozy list, plus that story she told about what Rousey said to PZV (while obviously made Rousey again look like an utter twat) wasn't hers to tell - if PZV wanted people to know she would've told the public.

In other news, BJ Penn's fight at UFC 199 is going to be the headline fight of the TV prelims. It was meant to be against Siver but he's pulled out through injury.

• Paid Members

During TUF I have to admit Tate started to warm on me, but ever since she's just come across as slimy as fuck. The handshake with Rousey after their fight was a blatant way of attempting to win fans over. 

There was never ever going to be a handshake and Tate knew that. She was just being manipulative. 

On top of the absolute bollocks she said on Rogan's podcast, I hate the way she uses the term 'honey'. She just sounds like a right stuck up cow. 

Holm's manager had every right to say he believed Holm would walk right through Tate. That's what most coaches and managers do, they instill belief in their fighters. As a champ he should believe she will make easy work of Tate.

Holm was without question right to take that Tate fight. She's in her mid 30's and doesn't have too many fights left in her as she's openly said she wants to start a family. She wanted to be known as a fighting champion and had belief in her ability to beat all comers. 

Basically Tate and that article is full of shit. 

• Paid Members

During TUF I have to admit Tate started to warm on me, but ever since she's just come across as slimy as fuck. The handshake with Rousey after their fight was a blatant way of attempting to win fans over.

There was never ever going to be a handshake and Tate knew that. She was just being manipulative.

Come on Lamby, you really think it was a planned thing to offer her and in the event of her getting her ass kicked? It was probably instinctive.

Fans rip on fighters way to much for their behaviour in the cage directly after fights.

• Paid Members

Come on Lamby, you really think it was a planned thing to offer her and in the event of her getting her ass kicked? It was probably instinctive.

Fans rip on fighters way to much for their behaviour in the cage directly after fights.

There was absolutely zero chance those two were ever going to shake hands. None whatsoever. There was so much shit done and said that a handshake would have actually seemed fake. It was the one time Rousey did the right thing in that entire build up and aftermath. Tate wasn't KO'd and it wasn't exactly shaken up. She had plenty of time to know what to do as she was the one who got up and looked Rousey square in the eye and instigated it.

You didn't see Cormier shake Jones' hand after their fight did you? Absolutely no chance was that happening. Same with Mir and Lesnar.  I think you're actually giving Tate too much leeway in her not being able to make a rational judgement after a fight. I would agree if there was a bloody war between the two or even where a knockout occured, but their fight had very little punishment to both. 

Tate also milked the refused handshake after the fight in attempt to make Rousey come across as a bad sport.

• Paid Members

I don't think it's as simple as that. There are so many emotions flying around, it's hard for anyone to say what they should or shouldn't be doing and saying post fight.

I honestly think Mir would have attempted to make piece with Brock after their fight, he looked like a scared child who has been put in his place. Had Brock not gone over to abuse him some more, I think he may have tried to embrace him (Brock was obviously having none of it though)

In Tate's case, she was soundly beaten a second time, probably felt embarrassed and just wanted to acknowledge the better person and put the whole thing to bed. Can't blame her for that.

• Paid Members

I'm certainly open to that, yet she had more than enough time after the fight to understand her actions. Yet she still pushed the Rousey being a bad sport to every media outlet who would listen to her. 

• Paid Members

Not disputing that, she's shown a different side since winning the belt, but during the moment she offered her hand, I truly believe there was no sneaky intent there...she just wanted that weight off her shoulders.

• Paid Members

Not disputing that, she's shown a different side since winning the belt, but during the moment she offered her hand, I truly believe there was no sneaky intent there...she just wanted that weight off her shoulders.

If what you're saying is true, it means that she certainly had her wits when she was offering her hand. She may have wanted the weight off her shoulders, but she knew full well given Rousey's character what was going to happen. 

As mentioned, her using it straight afterwards during the presser and post fight interviews to me suggests there was a little more to it. Maybe not quite as conniving as I've put it, but I think she knew what she was doing. 

Archived