The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Can't wait. Lawler is incredible.

Anybody seen the MMA Hour interview with JDS? A further reminder that he's quite possibly the nicest bad ass of all time. He only seems to hate Overeem, which makes me think Overeem must be a proper arsehole.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Overeem, he's a bit of a fuck up, losing fights he's easily winning and failing drug tests but he's still very confident in himself.

He apparently trains a little rough, injuring fighters, which explains why he's never settled at a camp apart from Golden Glory when was younger, Arlovski doesn't like him, which is why he agreed to fight him despite being at the same gym.

• Paid Members

Knew that was coming :D it's just the state of the division now, it's a fresh challenger and Reis has some impressive credentials. As long as it remains a co-main i have no issue really, Demetrious is staying busy and im happy about that.

Johnson has beaten everyone in the top ten except for 3 fighters.

Dustin Ortiz (lost last fight to Reis)

Jussier Formiga (coming off a loss)

Zack Makovsky (coming off 2 losses)

They don't have many options.

• Paid Members

This may sound drastic but I'd rather they just got rid of the flyweight division and bulked up the Bantamweight division. It's getting tiresome DJ fighting unknowns and being put in a co main or even main when the originally scheduled main drops out. 

• Paid Members

They may as well let him completely clear the division before giving him some of the better bantamweights - he won't need long.

I think Herbie's post a few posts up confirms we are past that point. Seems all you need is 1 or 2 wins at flyweight to be considered top 10. They are feeding absolute unknowns to DJ and at the same time making a mockery of what a no 1 contender is. 

I think it's actually harming the cards, the division and the UFC in general putting these type of fights so high up on a card. 

I actually know who WIlson Reis is. Just not from his UFC tenure.

Back when Elite XC was about, they signed him. This created a massive buzz on forums, as he was thought to be a can't miss prospect. Akin to Aldo, BJ Penn. and Barao. Obviously, his career didn't quite pan out that way. 

• Paid Members

They may as well let him completely clear the division before giving him some of the better bantamweights - he won't need long.

I think Herbie's post a few posts up confirms we are past that point. Seems all you need is 1 or 2 wins at flyweight to be considered top 10. They are feeding absolute unknowns to DJ and at the same time making a mockery of what a no 1 contender is. 

i sort of agree, there's just no clear cut no. 1 contender at 125lb. DJ has convincingly beaten anyone who's fought his way into that position, it's a mess really. A solid 135lb'er moving down could make an interesting challenge but there's no one really talking about doing that as far as im aware.

I actually know who WIlson Reis is. Just not from his UFC tenure.

Back when Elite XC was about, they signed him. This created a massive buzz on forums, as he was thought to be a can't miss prospect. Akin to Aldo, BJ Penn. and Barao. Obviously, his career didn't quite pan out that way.

He was their 140lb weight class champion, back when they had a few weird weight classes, Nick Diaz & KJ Noons fought for 162lb title and even Gina Carano was supposed to fight at the Women's 140 limit but didn't make weight several times

• Paid Members

I don't watch most of the prelims or FP fights (with exceptions of course) - but I always assume that if someone is becoming good, they'll appear on the main cards before I "need" to know about them. Mighty Mouse has defied my little formula twice now - first with Cariaso and now with Reis. That division appears to pull people from obscurity into a title fight.

That said - I really enjoyed his last fight against Cejudo. DM is a weird one.

• Paid Members

i hear you Herb. That main card exposure does help a lot when getting fighters ingrained into people's memory but Reis has been a lower weight main stay for years and has mixed it with high level competition throughout his career. He's 3-1 as a Flyweight and from what i remember his loss to Formiga was considered a bit of a robbery (i'd need to check on that though). Obviously he's getting this shot a lot earlier than he probably deserves given his UFC record but he's benefiting from the state of the division. I'm actually starting to enjoy watching Johnson cut through all this high level fighters with relative ease, Reis presents a new challenge in that he's probably the best pure BJJ guy he'll have faced (BJJ World Champ) and im sure that's the angle the fight will be sold on. Like i said previously though, i just like it that the champion is staying active.

Off-topic but now I've got more time on my hands from college/exams pretty much being done, I'm wanting to start putting together some MMA articles etc. Anyone recommend anywhere that's worth applying to write for/post? Did think about going down the 'website' of my own route but last thing we need is another MMANEWZ.COM website isn't it?

Archived