The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thiago Alves is moving down to lightweight, Mental!

It's a sign of the times really. One time he looked a big welterweight, now he's extremely small for the division compared to Lawler, Condit, Hendricks, Woodley etc. 

I came in here as I didn't want to take the Photos topic off-topic again, but Wand said something in there I agreed with about Joe Rogan "beating a subject to death" during fights which gets annoying.

The one which has always bugged me is him complaining about eye pokes, saying "something needs to be done, this is ridiculous" etc., but I've never heard him come up with any suggestions as to what can be created to make accidental eye pokes a thing of the past.

Is anything likely to get done about that in future? Or is it just going to be something that will continue to irritate fighters, commentators, and fans but nothing gets done to change it?

I came in here as I didn't want to take the Photos topic off-topic again, but Wand said something in there I agreed with about Joe Rogan "beating a subject to death" during fights which gets annoying.

The one which has always bugged me is him complaining about eye pokes, saying "something needs to be done, this is ridiculous" etc., but I've never heard him come up with any suggestions as to what can be created to make accidental eye pokes a thing of the past.

Is anything likely to get done about that in future? Or is it just going to be something that will continue to irritate fighters, commentators, and fans but nothing gets done to change it?

I was under the impression from the last few shows that all fighters were under stricter warnings about this? There hasn't seem to be many fights where it's been an issue lately? Or have I been in the clouds?

• Paid Members

the curved glove seems an easy solution to the problem, i don't ever recall an eye poke in Pride. Not sure whether or not the curved glove hampers grappling though.

however, you can't mention Rogan's rants and not mention the thai steel cup.

• Paid Members

the curved glove seems an easy solution to the problem, i don't ever recall an eye poke in Pride. Not sure whether or not the curved glove hampers grappling though.

I'd take a slightly hampered ability to grapple over having to watch people get poked in the eye.

Everlast said they made gloves especially for this but they didn't stop eye pokes, was during Bjorn's days, said he would give them to the UFC if they wanted but I think Scott Coker changed gloves back.

The Pride gloves are 6 ounces compared to the UFC's 4, so your talking more punishment before a KO

Barnett looked like he got eye poked before Cro Cop finished him.

• Paid Members

might be thinking of different fights Keith :laugh: Crocop beat Barnett 3 times, first time (the one im referring too) was a shoulder injury. The other two were a decision win and TKO via strikes, may have been in one of them, i can't recall off the top of me head.

Archived