The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

They were going to fight a 4th time on the 2006 Final Conflict card - but Cro Cop signed with the UFC before it could happen.

Barnett was worn out before the final. He'd had a 20 minute grappling masterclass with Big Nog earlier in the evening. Cro Cop was much fresher, and he'd polished off Wanderlei pretty quickly (and in destructive fashion, Frank Trigg was wailing on commentary)

Cro Cop was always a terrible style match-up for Barnett. In his prime - Cro Cop's takedown defence was very tight, and Barnett did not have the striking or takedown offence to trouble it. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

God knows why, but Joanne Calderwood is facing Valerie Letourneau at Flyweight at UFC Ottawa. The first ever UFC Women's fight at 125llbs. No idea what the point of that is unless they are bringing in a new division?

• Paid Members

God knows why, but Joanne Calderwood is facing Valerie Letourneau at Flyweight at UFC Ottawa. The first ever UFC Women's fight at 125llbs. No idea what the point of that is unless they are bringing in a new division?

Yeah, it seems like they're testing the waters with the women's divisions at the moment. Letting Cyborg come in and fight at 140, now this fight at 125. Maybe they're looking at bringing in more divisions. I don't think there's quite enough depth there just yet but it was always going to happen eventually.

Or it could just be a one-off case, for whatever reason, where both fighters have agreed that they'd rather just fight and not have to cut so much weight, and the UFC have OK'd it. It's far from common but there is a precedent for this. KJ Noons and Sam Stout fought a couple of years ago, both lightweights, and they agreed to fight at welterweight for no other reason other than they'd both have an easier time making weight. Of course the difference here is that there's no UFC women's flyweight division yet. I guess they're looking at bringing 125 in, otherwise they'd probably have just called this a catchweight fight.

Regardless, I really like the Calderwood vs Letourneau matchup. Two of the better strikers in the division. Calderwood needs to make something happen though. She hasn't looked nearly as impressive post-TUF as she did in Invicta.

• Paid Members

I think it's wise to start a women's flyweight division. To be honest, I didn't understand why they introduced a strawweight division before doing that; there can't have been a rarity of female fighters between 135 pounds and 115 pounds, surely? Seems a pretty harsh weight cut for anybody in the flyweight area, and a move up to bantamweight would put them at a disadvantage size-wise.

What initially got me thinking about that was seeing that picture of Izabela Badurek at her weigh-in for the fight against Aleksandra Albu. She'd gone from this:

pXddb62U.jpeg

to this:

izabela-badurek.jpg

I don't know - maybe I'm exaggerating how gaunt she looks, but she just doesn't look healthy. First thing I thought was that she should probably be in the flyweight division if she's having to cut to be in SW.

What initially got me thinking about that was seeing that picture of Izabela Badurek at her weigh-in for the fight against Aleksandra Albu. She'd gone from this:

What has happened to Albu? She had a fight in April last year and has not fought since. Is she injured?

• Paid Members

Those last two posts eh? Always good to see fighters keeping the 'arts' in mixed martial arts. Fucking hell. There's been some right cunts in MMA over the years hasn't there. Between these two, Aleksander Emelianenko's list of crimes including kidnap and rape, Josh Grispi battering his girlfriend and setting his dog on her in front of their kid, War Machine and all that shit that went down with Christy Mack, there was that cannibal guy as well...I mean, shitting hell. I'm surprised the media don't run with that type of stuff when they're doing a hatchet job on MMA being barbaric and full of thugs and so on. It'd be a fair bit more effective than the outdated human cockfighting angle they usually take.

• Paid Members

Those last two posts eh? Always good to see fighters keeping the 'arts' in mixed martial arts. Fucking hell. There's been some right cunts in MMA over the years hasn't there. Between these two, Aleksander Emelianenko's list of crimes including kidnap and rape, Josh Grispi battering his girlfriend and setting his dog on her in front of their kid, War Machine and all that shit that went down with Christy Mack, there was that cannibal guy as well...I mean, shitting hell. I'm surprised the media don't run with that type of stuff when they're doing a hatchet job on MMA being barbaric and full of thugs and so on. It'd be a fair bit more effective than the outdated human cockfighting angle they usually take.

oh there's been some proper sketchy characters involved in the sport over the years. From a distance it adds to the intrigue and interesting nature of following the sport, but they are the kind of people you wouldn't wanna be anywhere near.

Ladies and gentleman, Mr Yacheleslav Datsik...

503x.jpg

here's a link too the 16 most notorious crimes in MMA: http://www.cagepotato.com/the-16-most-notorious-arrests-in-mma-history/It's a bit outdated but it's worth a look.

• Paid Members

There was also Thiago Silva and the massive blow-up when UFC re-signed him before bowing to pressure and re-firing him.

Wasn't Kimo Leopoldo involved with something dodgy as well?

• Paid Members

another new documentary about the Foxcatcher story has gone onto Netflix, it's a Netflix exclusive documentary so it should be worth a look. Strange topic for them to cover when you consider ESPN did a 30 for 30 documentary about it just last year. Still, i'm gonna give it a look:

04ddcec388af21e3441b03a2727f7b3e6231a55f

Archived