Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

Although I'm glad there is slightly more going on than just a lot of flapping of gums at Riverrun, I'm finding Robb's romantic subplot a bit tacked on and needless at this point.

(massive A Storm Of Swords spoilers, definitely dont read if you havent finished it)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Ignore the fact that the whole scenario/background to Robbs wife has been changed, and there isn't an obvious reason as to why. We didn't even meet Jeyne until Robb literally turned up with her, and mumbled "Oh mum, this is my wife. Oops, I tripped." More vitally, in the series, Catelyn has just fucking reminded Robb of his promise to the Freys, whereas in the book she didnt get chance. TV Robb is now going to look an even bigger moron than book Robb, as he's had warning from mother not to do something stupid that *might* just get him killed.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I'm glad there is slightly more going on than just a lot of flapping of gums at Riverrun, I'm finding Robb's romantic subplot a bit tacked on and needless at this point.(massive A Storm Of Swords spoilers, definitely dont read if you havent finished it)

Ignore the fact that the whole scenario/background to Robbs wife has been changed, and there isn't an obvious reason as to why. We didn't even meet Jeyne until Robb literally turned up with her, and mumbled "Oh mum, this is my wife. Oops, I tripped." More vitally, in the series, Catelyn has just fucking reminded Robb of his promise to the Freys, whereas in the book she didnt get chance. TV Robb is now going to look an even bigger moron than book Robb, as he's had warning from mother not to do something stupid that *might* just get him killed. [close spoiler]
");document.close();
Spoiler in regards to discussing that spoiler....

In the books Jeyne marries Robb after he sleeps with her after hearing the news of his brothers death along with her being the one caring for him while injured. As a son of Ned Stark and dutiful to his and a womans honour, he marries her.At least in the TV series it's already showing an attraction there, he knows his duty, but she's already been shown as a healer he would go to when injured and when he hears about Bran and Rickon he'll be so in mourning he'll give in to his attraction, feel bad about doing it, and honour bound to marry her [close spoiler]
");document.close();

• Moderators

Spoiler across all the books:

Books are for nerds. *flushes your head down the bogs*

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Yeah...in hindsight perhaps doing the thread this way wasn't the greatest idea. It's impossible to talk about the show without lurking towards spoilers and changes from the books. But the Man shut down the idea of separate threads. I actually have people in real life moaning at me now because they want to join the conversation on this thread but don't want to wade through pages of spoiler tags.

• Moderators

But the Man shut down the idea of separate threads.

joffrey_502.jpgIn five weeks, you can talk about the books for an entire year without having to comment on what happened on TV this week.

I actually have people in real life moaning at me now because they want to join the conversation on this thread but don't want to wade through pages of spoiler tags.

Invoking the Staniforth Clause ^^

• Paid Members

I actually have people in real life moaning at me now because they want to join the conversation on this thread but don't want to wade through pages of spoiler tags.

Invoking the Staniforth Clause ^^
Nope....You're gonna have to explain that one to me Woy....

• Paid Members

On the subject of the books (no spoilers), I think George RR Martin is a massive bloody pervert and the way he writes about sex sounds to me like he's probably never had sex before. Also, he mentions rape about every 5 pages which gets a bit tiresome. And I don't really give a fuck about the intricate detailing of every item of clothing every single character is wearing or what they fucking had for dinner either.Apart from that though, great books.

Arya has been the most interesting character for me this season. My favourites last season were Danerys, Jon Snow, Jamie Lannister and Tyrion. Apart from Tyrion the rest have all been treading water or barely featured at all in Jamie's case. The new characters haven't quite won me over, although Bron has been a highlight.It's still the TV highlight of the week but I do feel this season has lacked something that last season had. maybe Sean Bean?

• Paid Members

It's still the TV highlight of the week but I do feel this season has lacked something that last season had. maybe Sean Bean?

:angry: The something may be focus. Ned's arc was the main focus and he was the one guy for viewers to root for en masse. Now people are all over the place and there are numerous factions/armies. The show definitely won't force you to pick your favourite now, and the lines between good/evil are blurred in varying degrees for most of the characters.

• Paid Members

This season is even better. There are so many different inter-twining storylines and superb characters, it leaves me craving for the next episode. Ned was good, but Sean Bean leaving came at a perfect time- a time when so many better characters had been established. The only thing I've missed this series is Jaime, but I am sure he will be back at some point. Well I haven't missed him as such, because there's been so much brilliance going on. I think the head of casting is a genius. There isn't a single character- from a bit-part to a main role- that i don't think is utterly brilliant. Every character is played wonderfully. This is WELL on it's way to being the greatest tv show of all time.

he mentions rape about every 5 pages

I'm going to get the books!

And I don't really give a fuck about the intricate detailing of every item of clothing every single character is wearing or what they fucking had for dinner either.

Oh, I might not then. No interest in reading Quarthian Psycho.

Archived