Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

Someone will have a massive eppy for not pointing out which book those spoilers spoil. I won't, because I've read them all. Even though I actually am slightly having problems remembering who you're on about.

Took me a bit to click but he's talking about...A Dance With Dragon's Spoilers.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

So what did everyone think of last nights episode?

It was probably the weakest episode so far although still very good, but it mainly just seemed to be an episode to move everyone where they needed to be for the finale. It was probably one of those episodes where the producers just have to have small scenes with everyone talking so that they can save money for the final two episodes (which probably cost a huge chunk of the shows budget).

Jamie and Brienne are just gonna be great together though. And I loved Joffrey trying to act all badass. Plus we got Varys who I absolutely love. The preview for next weeks episode looks insanely awesome.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'd agree with that, the first episode that I've been a bit underwhelmed by. Still great but not close to the standard set so far this season. I'm glad Ramsay got another mention, and it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out at Winterfell. I thought they should have played out Bran and Rickon being dead for a lot longer, in the books initially I didn't buy that they'd been killed, and it was only the fact that everything seemed to go on as normal for a while that I just assumed they were. IMO they could have kept them 'dead' until the final episode.

Jaime and Brienne get added to the list of great double acts this season along with Tyrion / Bronn, Tyrion / Varys and Tywin Arya. Their stuff next season is going to kill.

Looks like with Gregor taking control at Harrenhall already that Vargo Hoat and the Bloody Mummers may have been written out completely, which is a bit of a shame as they were some great characters. We kind of need them for at least one big point next season though. And at least Rorge got a line this week.

Bring on Blackwater!

I'm sure it's for budgetary reasons and the fact that they want to get some nice shots of flaming arrows in there, but I'm not thrilled that next week's big throwdown is set at night.

As for this episode; fairly standard but still good (even if it still found time for Dany to show up and wail about being the mother of dragons). I want more of Jaquen.

• Paid Members

Yes, more of Jaquen would be good.

I think everyone has summed up last night best. The most underwhelming but certainly not a bad episode by any means- it was an episode to tie in some things together and lay down the groundwork for the final two episodes. Lord of Bones looked brilliant.

• Paid Members
I'm sure it's for budgetary reasons and the fact that they want to get some nice shots of flaming arrows in there, but I'm not thrilled that next week's big throwdown is set at night.

Really, I actually thought that was a nice touch. I'm hoping the ladies take shelter in Maegor's Holdfast so we can get some backstory on Maegor the Cruel. I fucking love that name.

• Paid Members

Really we are lucky to even get a major night time battle scene (there is apparently 18 minutes of combat scenes) as the original plan was to set the episode in the shelter with people just coming in and updating Cersei with what's going on in the battle. Luckily they begegd HBO for more cash to do it properly.

Something to note is that the director of the next episode is Neil Marshall who did Dog Soldiers, The Descent and Centurion and he was chosen specifically because he has a history of making big movies with small budgets.

• Awards Moderator
Yes, more of Jaquen would be good.

I think everyone has summed up last night best. The most underwhelming but certainly not a bad episode by any means- it was an episode to tie in some things together and lay down the groundwork for the final two episodes. Lord of Bones looked brilliant.

Agreed on the Lord of Bones, he looked great.

My favourite part of last night's episode was probably the Tyrion/Varys exchange at the end. "One game at a time..."

• Paid Members

Yeah, any interaction between Tyrion and Varys is great. Someone on the Forum of Ice and Fire suggested this morning that there should be a spin off series in which Tyrion, Varys and Bronn drive around from town to town in a van, solving mysteries.

• Paid Members

The Rains of Castamere

'The Rains of Castamere' performed by The National. From the season 2 soundtrack (plays in the background when you load up the page, like you're in 1998 again).

Won't mean a great deal to the non-book readers yet but it becomes quite an important piece of music in season 3/4. There's no spoilers or anything, it's about Tywin wiping out a rebellious house called the Reynes of Castamere about 40 years before the events in the books / series.

To be on the safe side, minimize the page after it's loaded. The current page has nothing spoilery on it, but looks like it gets updated a lot so I can't guarantee what she puts up in the future won't be.

so..the "Blackwater" episode just aired in the states..i am very happy with it..i was emotional watching it, but you can tack that up to me being a girl lol, but there were just some parts where i couldnt help but cry. i cant wait to watch it again later.

• Paid Members

Well that was fucking incredible wasn't it. Lena Headey was amazing, really becoming more like the paranoid, alcoholic Cersei that we see in the books. The wildfire explosion was probably the biggest money-shot there's ever been on a TV show. I think they could have played up the 'ghost of Renly' thing a bit more before the Loras reveal.....just having a character see him and wonder aloud "Renly?" would have put viewers in a good excited state for a minute. As it is , I think people may have been confused by the 'third army' coming in at the end to save Kings Landing from Stannis.

Archived