Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought a lot of people would be confused by the sacking of Winterfell. I don't think the show handled it particularly well on this occasion. But yes it will get cleared up and make sense next season.

Storm of Swords has indeed been confirmed to be split into 2 seasons, which is just as well because there's not a chance they could have done it in 10 episodes. I also agree with others that have said it's the best book of the lot. Can't wait to see more of Jaime and Brienne's adventures, and to see who they cast as Mance Rayder. Generally though it's just a shitload bigger, more characters on top of an already massive cast, and even more sub-stories going on at once.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

1. I really don't like the White Walkers.

2. Where did Sandor go? In the last episode he was offering to take Sansa back to Winterfell but now he's just disappeared and she's still in King's Landing.

3. I didn't realise that was meant to be Renly's ghost in the last episode either.

• Paid Members

I've not really talked about the third book as I've not finished it but it's easily my favourite so far, but a guy from work who's zipping through them said he found it boring, glad it's just him.

• Paid Members

I thought the finale was bloody brilliant myself. The only slight criticism of it I'd have would be the destruction of Winterfell was handled in a manner that non-book readers will probably find confusing but they will no doubt explain it i nthe futre. Everything else I loved and it's brilliant how a show with so many characters and storylines can balance it all out and make it still mean something.

I must say though I'm getting more than a bit fed up of people complaining that they left out so and so from the books. Television and books are two different mediums and any adaptation is going to leave out masses of book details due to time limits and budget reasons. As long as they hit all the big story marks (which they have been) and capture the characters and emotion (which they have often massively improved upon the books in my opinion) then it doesn't really fucking matter if they leave out the giant 500 foot long chain in the battle of the Blackwater or cut out Harrenhall being captured by Northern men and then recaptured again by the Lannisters. Who cares? Given how huge the books are it's a miracle the show even exists let alone being so fucking brilliant. All that stuff you love is still in the books so at the end of the day just enjoy the show for what it is.

Would it be worth starting the books from where season 2 left off, or should I start from the beginning?

You should start from the beginning definitely.

Not having read the books yet, I think the weakness of the show in leaving things out has been when they tell and don't show, when a character will say something to the effect of "LOL what a great battle that just happened" but the audience hasn't seen it. And sometimes they don't even tell. They seem to skip a lot (which maybe the books do too, but prose can cover the gaps more easily). It runs the risk of really underselling something or, at worst, making it confusing. At this point in the books, is the reader left clueless about what happened at Winterfell or thinking "How the fuck is Stannis knocking about with the witch? Shouldn't he be in a cell or dead? Where is he?"

• Paid Members

Well because the chapters of the books take place from a specific character's perspective there are often events that you don't get to read much about. For example, there is never a chapter from Robb's point of view so every battle he wins you only hear from Catelyn being informed or a scene with Tyrion where he finds out that Robb has won another battle or something. And you don't see any of Robb falling in love in the books, he just turns up one chapter married to a completely new character.

I don't think the books go into any more detail about Stannis's escape from King's Landing other than something along the lines of someone else saying "he got on a boat and ran away when the Lannisters turned up". The TV show sometimes jumps over things but at the same time characters in the book are often fleshed out alot more on the show. Also the book often repeats itself and can sometimes get a bit tedious. For example, after Ned is killed every single Catelyn chapter is her moping around sad about Ned, and the show actually added more plot to Dany's story in the second series. In the second book she just spends endless chapters thinking about whether she deserves to be queen or not.

At this point in the books, no the reader knows what happened at Winterfell and who's responsible, although it doesn't really matter too much untill book 5 so I can see why the TV show wants to put it to one side for now.

• Paid Members

Yeah, an explanation- even if just a line- about how Stannis escaped would've been handy. Last time I saw him he was still fighting I think. Even if Jonathan Ross' wife just dropped in a line 'You had to flee the battle so you could come and see these flames'

2. Where did Sandor go? In the last episode he was offering to take Sansa back to Winterfell but now he's just disappeared and she's still in King's Landing.

3. I didn't realise that was meant to be Renly's ghost in the last episode either.

Re: 2, didn't she say no to him, and then he just left?

Yeah, an explanation- even if just a line- about how Stannis escaped would've been handy. Last time I saw him he was still fighting I think. Even if Jonathan Ross' wife just dropped in a line 'You had to flee the battle so you could come and see these flames'

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I believe Stannis and the rest of the survivors are picked up at the edge of Blackwater Bay by the pirate Salladhor Saan and his small fleet of ships. It'll likely be clarified a bit more in season 3

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
Re: 2, didn't she say no to him, and then he just left?

That's correct.

I saw her saying no, that her place was with Joffrey (or whatever) but I didn't see how that bit ended. Was that it? I thought he might've talked her into it when he promised to protect her. I didn't actually see him leave.

• Paid Members

At what point did he turn up then? I completely missed that :confused:

At what point did he turn up then? I completely missed that :confused:

Tyrion was looking around while he was outside the walls during the battle and saw a load of horsemen joining the fight - one of which was wearing Renly's Baratheon armour (stag horns on helmet). Turned out to be Loras Tyrell aka Knight of Flowers, as we later saw him walking into the throne room without helmet...

Archived