Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was right the finale was something else. topped last years. great to see Khal Drogo again as well. great WTF moment

just the terrible wait till it comes back on now.....

oh yeah DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!

and ZOMBIE ICE WARRIORS!!!!!!(thats what im calling em)

• Paid Members

At first when I saw the White Walkers I groaned a little. And then I started to see how awesome they were.

Good finish. Tied up a few loose ends, seeds were sown for some new storyline developments and there were a few stroylines left with a question mark hanging over. Also really liked the Jaqen bit when he changed his face. Even more interested in this character now. Dany is brilliant, I wouldn't deny her the iron throne.

I have a question: how did Stannis escape? I think I missed that.

This episode gained far more viewers than any previous episode in the States, 4.2m.

• Paid Members

Because it was burned down. Which reminds me, wasn't there a Stark army surrounding Winterfell, hence Theon getting agitated by the hornblower? What happened there then? Did the Greyjoys somehow escape through a passage after having set fire to Winterfell? If so, what happened to the Stark army? Did they just fuck off? Part of it I think will be answered later, such as what happened to Theon and the other 20 Greyjoys, but not sure about the rest.

• Moderators

Wait, that was winterfell at the end? I thought it was the shitty farm/barn they had hid in at the end.

GoT is a pretty great show, but it sure is fucking hard to keep track of at times.

Good finale but yeah, they really messed up the burning of Winterfell. Allow me to be annoying but it's much better in the book, for me it was up there with Ned getting beheaded in terms of shock factor. What happened should get cleared up in series 3, but check the book out if you want an altogether more rewarding telling of that particular story. Snow vs Halfhand was a bit of a letdown too, otherwise it was ace.

The third book is absolutely fantastic, the best in the series and completely epic so we should be in for a treat.

• Paid Members

Overall I really enjoyed this series. I would have like to have seen Tyrion's chain and a few more instances of Ygritte saying "You know nothing, Jon Snow" and one or two of the additional scenes felt like they added little. But that's a trifling matter.

I really worry they will try and condense A Storm Of Swords into the usual ten-episode series format, and fail to do it justice. Also I'm slightly worried that George has given the basic outline to the last two books to the studio in case he dies before he finishes writing them, as this means various plot developments risk being leaked before the books come out.

Thought the finale was surprisingly amateurish for the most part. It almost felt like a new showrunner had taken over in places. Finales are designed to set up the following season so it might be a tad unfair to make the following criticism but so much felt like nothing but set-up for episodes yet to be written. Again, that's fair enough, but it felt like filler a lot of the time. I'll miss Jaqen but I guess there's only so much you can do with that character.

• Paid Members
I could be wrong, but I think the third book is being split into two books. Or that could be pure speculation that I keep reading.

I know you meant series, playa.

I can completely understand Steel & Snow and Blood & Gold being two seperate series, but I also kind of hope that they merge A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons into one chronological story for tv (reasonably safe bet) but also run those as just two series (not so safe bet), even though if A Storm Of Swords is big enough to warrant two, then those two books are hefty enough for two each.

Fact is, they are too hefty. Without spoiling anything, huge chunks are disposable and many chapters (Crows especially) are meandering and plain boring. Theoretically you could be looking seven more series or so unless quite a lot gets cut.

• Paid Members
Because it was burned down. Which reminds me, wasn't there a Stark army surrounding Winterfell, hence Theon getting agitated by the hornblower? What happened there then? Did the Greyjoys somehow escape through a passage after having set fire to Winterfell? If so, what happened to the Stark army? Did they just fuck off? Part of it I think will be answered later, such as what happened to Theon and the other 20 Greyjoys, but not sure about the rest.

I still dont get it, the Grayjoys fucked off, the stark army take control why cant they go home?

Winterfell had been burnt down, and there were dead bodies in the court yard and no other souls around.

Clearly some kind of battle had occured and Luwin told the boys that "they" could be back at any time.

The army surrounding Winterfell that was pissing Theon off was led by Ramsay Snow, who is Roose Bolton's bastard son. Roose was the one pressing Robb to send his bastard to recapture Winterfell. The events of Winterfell will be explained at the start of next series, presumably, but if I hadn't read the books I would be very confused.

Overall I really enjoyed this series. I would have like to have seen Tyrion's chain and a few more instances of Ygritte saying "You know nothing, Jon Snow" and one or two of the additional scenes felt like they added little. But that's a trifling matter.

I really worry they will try and condense A Storm Of Swords into the usual ten-episode series format, and fail to do it justice. Also I'm slightly worried that George has given the basic outline to the last two books to the studio in case he dies before he finishes writing them, as this means various plot developments risk being leaked before the books come out.

Archived