Game of Thrones: book thread

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members
He was the one with the antlers on his helm. It isn't Loras in the books though is it?

In the books it's Garlan Tyrell, Loras' brother. I figure they didn't want to introduce yet more people.

The antlers on the helm were pretty unimpressive, which is why I didn't notice them to start with.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I know I've said this once before, but I really don't care for the handling of Robb's romantic subplot. I can look past the changes from Robb just turning up and going "I've married this lass I met at the Crag" to the story they've told on the show, and I can just about cope with the fact they've renamed her after that N-Dubz tramp, BUT :

They have made Robb look a total weapon by having his mother first warn him about his vow when she saw the way he was looking at the Volantene girl, and remind him of it AGAIN in the last episode. In the book he fucked the lass in the heat of the moment when he was wounded and she was looking after him, and then married her because he thought it was the honourable thing to do, with Catelyn miles away and unable to warn him that it would piss off the Freys without whom they would have not crossed the Trident.

Robb, you're a gimp.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Sooo, filming begins on season 3 today. Still not a great deal of casting news yet besides Clive Russell as Brynden 'Blackfish' Tully, Catelyn's awesome uncle, who should have been in season 1 really,

russell.jpg

Tara Fitzgerald all but confirmed as Selyse Florent, Stannis' wife

wpid-tara-fitzgerald-0.jpg

And Kerry Ingram as Shireen, Stannis' daughter (which hopefully means we also get her fool, Patchface)

00231977%20-%20200x301.jpg

There's also still a few rumours floating around that Mackenzie Crook might be joining the cast too, possibly as Vargo Hoat of the Brave Companions / Bloody Mummers. I fucking hope that's true because his weird little face would be perfect for 'The Goat'.

• Paid Members

Kerry Ingram was amazing as Matilda in Matilda the Musical, so hopefully she can be good in GoT. Shireen doesn't really feature all that much in ASOS though does she?

• Paid Members

Not a great deal,

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

She'll get taken to the wall with Stannis, bu probably not 'til season 4.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

but good to get her involved now as she was in the books as early as the book 2 prologue. I just want to see Patchface to be honest.

It was at London Film and Comic Con this weekend, you could have your photo taken in it which looks awesome. Someone also brought a long sword for people to use in their photos too. They had a fair few Game of Thrones guests signing and doing photos too, though I didn't meet any of them.

Never seen a single episode but have heard good things about the series so will try and start watching it.

Went for a drink with a few people the other day, one of which was one of the editors for series 3. He has worked on the previous series and was teasing my mate about spoilers he knew were coming up as she didn't want to hear them. He was telling some great stories about being on set but as I have never seen any of it I couldn't relate to what he was saying. The others we were with were getting well excited about what he was saying.

• Paid Members
Currently about 100 pages from the end of Feast for Crows. Fuck me, bit of a slog isn't it? Especially after the spectacular third book.

The thing I found with Crows was that

after Storm of Swords, where as far as I can remember all the POV characters were existing characters, Crows just says "fuck you, here's 50 new characters, deal with it". And although there are some great new characters (Victarion being one of my favourites). it's a lot of adjusting. It also feels a bit disjointed with only mainly covering the events in Kings Landing, Dorne and the Iron Islands. You're constantly wondering what's happening north of the wall or across the Narrow Sea.

Detective Brienne is one of the best side-stories in the series though.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I found Feast to be real hard work. 800 pages and it seems like very little happens. The engrossing pace and rhythm of the story in the first three novels comes to a jarring halt. It feels like Martin is writing himself into this huge black hole.

I felt the Brienne chapters were particularly bad; devoting so many pages to what we know is a wild goose chase. The Sansa stuff is painfully dull, but I never really dug that character. Characters I really enjoyed like Ayra, Jaime and Sam are unfortunately given similar treatment. The book

Archived